And now I must try wild boar bacon.

At the Costco near me they have a bacon sampling station about once every 2-3 weeks, with a vendor named Kiolbassa based out of San Antonio offering samples. This is the BEST bacon I have ever had -- especially their 'Peppered Bacon'. I'm not sure all Costco's offer this, as I assume it's a Texas thing only...but Kiolbassa has a website showing their offerings.

Go here: https://kiolbassa.com/product/peppered-bacon/

Side note, I have tried their sausage links too, and their Jalapeno Beef is quite spicy!! It's really good, but definitely has a strong kick.

havent had much in the way of artisan bacon. My two favorites come from either the local butcher shop (thick cut peppered) or Fletcher's Brand thick cut from our local Costco.

Both are extremely tasty over a gas grill slathered in BBQ sauce...

Check out Kurobuta Pork.

oh yes it's fantastic. but that's a breed thing more than a ranking system. so is the really expensive bacon from a better breed like kurobuta or heritage? that would make sense.

oh yes it's fantastic. but that's a breed thing more than a ranking system. so is the really expensive bacon from a better breed like kurobuta or heritage? that would make sense.

Its more a breed and handling in my opinion, similar to that of beef (see angus, Wagyu, kobe). Because of how much beef is sold, we have ranking now of Choice and Prime. Pork has the same, but not done the same way, instead carcass is inspected and done by back fat I believe.

Peter Lugers thick cut bacon is a meal in itself. If you can find it at your grocer I highly suggest picking some up.

I've had some maple-glazed, slab-cut bacon at a Flemings steakhouse and loved it. When asked about it, they said it came from a duroc pig. My wife was involved with showing pigs in HS and said that durocs are known for high quality meat.

This doesn't help in finding it in a market, but more just referring to the breed that produced the fine appetizer.

Martin's Meats in the Reading Terminal Market in Philly. The bacon there is not your average bacon. Sprinkle some pepper and brown sugar and bake in the oven. I'm drooling just thinking about it...

There is a small meat market outside of Ludington, MI called Sanders. Great meats and of course great fresh bacon.

off topic a little, but my local butcher gets in snake river farms wagyu from time to time. that stuff is incredible. we don't eat steak very often, so i'm fine to splurge and it's absolutely worth it. ...except when i f- it up on the grill. that makes me die a little inside.

We ordered a Wagyu ribeye cap from Snake River Farms a while back because a friend had told us about it. The most intense flavor you'll ever experience in a cut of beef. It was so good! Not something we'd buy normally at 200-300 a pop though. lol

Candied bacon from that place in Carlsbad when we were there in 2015 The King!! Best bacon EVER!

Where my parents live there is a butcher shop that has incredible bacon. Country meet shops is the name and he wins tons of awards in the Midwest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

North Country, bacon they listed first, is the best I've cooked and eaten.

Once available at my Whole Foods, I've got to go out of my way to get it at Central Market.

About a year ago, the slices were getting thinner. I like it substantial but not thick, and I emailed them about the slices getting thin. Said they did not notice it going to a new slicer, but would check it out. Bought it a month later and they were back to correct thickness - consumer awareness and a company that listens - gotta' love it.

I've had the cob smoked but prefer the pepper or applewood smoked.

I'm the guy who looks for the leanest cut and takes 2-3 minutes to find the lean ones in the stack.

The other bacon I like is Nueske's Bacon ... it may be a tie with North Country... expensive. If I can't find North Country or Nueskes, I will look at Niman's but I've found it tough to meet my rigorous standards of lean.

Last edited:
Coursey's from St. Joe, Arkansas is the bacon the gods eat.

This is absolutely the best bacon I've ever had.

https://www.nueskes.com/

Haven't spent ages 6-23 living in Wisconsin, I'm partial to Nueske's bacon and their hams and jalapeno cheddar brats as well. We put in a big order from them at least a couple times a year.

Candied bacon from that place in Carlsbad when we were there in 2015 The King!! Best bacon EVER!

Ignite Bistro, if I'm not mistaken. This is definitely my answer too.

I had 2 slices of bacon caked in sugar in a Bloody Mary last month: not bad!

Lord Byron introduced me to Neuske's Bacon and it is excellent!!!

Looks like quite a few votes for Nueskes... it was the first bacon that I thought was grrrrreat. But it was limited to one store in town ... and then I discovered North Country, and both are favorites.

What seems available in more than one store is Applegates and Niman Ranch, which are also excellent.

Once had an SO that threw bacon into the frying pan and scrambled it all around ... such a lack of respect for bacon.

I broke up with her in quick fashion ... :)

I lay each strip down in an orderly fashion after a bit of preheat - low medium heat and turn - must have a pan that cooks evenly - thinking of getting a big cast iron skillet.

Love most bacon, but can't stand it covered in thick, course ground pepper.

Back