Good players with GI Irons

awtryau89

Reaction score
Really really starting to ponder going to GI irons. I play i200s. I guess these are close to GI irons but I am speaking more of the G400, Titleist AP3s, Srixon Z565s, Mizuno Hot Metals, etc. Not looking for any recommendations on specific brands. I'll make that decision. Still I just want to hit greens. I am looking for an iron that does that. It is my most glaring weakness when analyzing my stats. I practice and play every week. Even so, I can always use more help. I said this in the Titleist thread but I began pondering this after Sunday's round. I watched a friend shoot an easy 74 with Ping G2s. He works the ball, manages his trajectory and just hits greens. Heck the old G2s may not even be as forgiving as my i200s. Still they are a GI iron. I am pondering putting aside the ego and going this route. How many of you guys run across really good players using these types of irons? How do you get your head around this mentally when you've always gamed more of a "player's club". If I make this switch, I want it to stick.

I played Mizzy's for years and years. Last year I decided I wanted some more help from the clubs in my irons. It's taken a bit to find a set that I can enjoy, but after starting with AP1's, a brief stint with AP2's, I've landed on the CF16 and couldn't be happier. Wrapping my head around this transition became a lot easier when seeing the results after making some terrible contact and still either hitting the green, or being right around it. For the most part, I've accepted that just because an iron looks pretty, doesn't mean I have any business carrying it around the course lol.

Played with few guys with stock Callaway Big Bertha and some big headed Japanese club. Hits straight as arrow on every holes. Not high or long either. Just line drives with lots a rolls. Awesome short games and lights out putting. Ugly swings but they shoots low single all the time. They tried forged blades when they were younger but they sees no point of making the game harder than it actually is. It got me thinking about how I should approach the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really really starting to ponder going to GI irons. I play i200s. I guess these are close to GI irons but I am speaking more of the G400, Titleist AP3s, Srixon Z565s, Mizuno Hot Metals, etc. Not looking for any recommendations on specific brands. I'll make that decision. Still I just want to hit greens. I am looking for an iron that does that. It is my most glaring weakness when analyzing my stats. I practice and play every week. Even so, I can always use more help. I said this in the Titleist thread but I began pondering this after Sunday's round. I watched a friend shoot an easy 74 with Ping G2s. He works the ball, manages his trajectory and just hits greens. Heck the old G2s may not even be as forgiving as my i200s. Still they are a GI iron. I am pondering putting aside the ego and going this route. How many of you guys run across really good players using these types of irons? How do you get your head around this mentally when you've always gamed more of a "player's club". If I make this switch, I want it to stick.

Most guys in my golf league at work or that I meet when playing as a single are almost always using old clubs and some of them are very good.

Dave

Last edited:
What do you mean by getting the head around mentally?

Like, looking down it's too big?

Probably should qualify a few things in my original post.

By "good player" I mean lower single digit cappers. The friend I played with is a 2. I'm playing to a 10 right now but just last year I was down to a 3 myself. I'm hoping to keep making my swing changes I'm working through right now and get back to where I was or close to it.

Also to answer your questions Dan, yes. How do you adjust your perception and learn to like what you see and second, how do you keep from wanting to go back to a player's iron once you start seeing the better results come in with the GI iron.

Did you listen to the golfunfiltered podcast by any chance? He discussed some of these thoughts, of being fit to irons by HC almost. In the end he seems to think that you should play what makes you happy. And that sometimes the best possible fit won't necessarily lead to lower scores.

I know I'm not being much help, but if you think chunky irons are going to be good for you, give them a try. But if you just can't adjust to the look or don't like the feel, or anything else, no shame in that either.

"good" is a relative term. what do you define as good?

i'm a 6, and i play 565. my buddy is a 7, plays king forged tec. lots of good players around here play cf16.

i admit i don't love the heft of my set. but when they play well consistently, you can gain confidence.

and you can flight and shape just about any club. some are easier than others, but it can still be done.

By "good player" I mean lower single digit cappers. The friend I played with is a 2. I'm playing to a 10 right now but just last year I was down to a 3 myself. I'm hoping to keep making my swing changes I'm working through right now and get back to where I was or close to it.

Also to answer your questions Dan, yes. How do you adjust your perception and learn to like what you see and second, how do you keep from wanting to go back to a player's iron once you start seeing the better results come in with the GI iron.

I can look at anything and swing it. Considering the number of clubs I've cycled through my bag over the last 10 years, I am indifferent on looks at address. All I care about is flight and feedback. If I can shape it (I play a pull draw so a predictable turn is very important), the spin is reasonable, and the flight is fair, I'll game it for as long as I feel like.

We are creatures of habit. If you game something for 10 rounds I can all but guarantee by the end of that time period, it'll be what looks 'normal' to you.

Whatever you do check out the tec forged cobra irons. I have the fly-z+ and those are even a tad more forgiving.

When I wear these out, I'll switch to those. I don't mind the ego check at all. I can't practice as much as pros or college players, so why handicap myself with harder to hit irons.

What were you playing when you were working off a 3 cap? Were you hitting greens more frequently then?

Are you missing greens left and right or long and short? In 10 swings what does your impact tape look like for irons? There is also no reason your PW has to be the same as your 6 iron. I am not a big fan of GI wedges normally but am happy to take the help in longer clubs. Play the club you hit the best. Hell I still have a 6 hybrid in my bag because I was hitting it better than my 6 iron.

You raise some very interesting questions. Here's the way I look at it. Your irons are your scoring clubs. It's all about minimizing dispersion. ntanygd760 asked about your misses, which I think is a significant question. But again, to cut to the chase, it's all about minimizing dispersion. If you hit more greens with one iron set vs. another you'll score better. To be a low single handicap player you've got to do more than simply hit greens. You need multiple approach shots in the 3-15 foot range. Even on the PGA Tour the 50/50 mark for putts made vs. missed is about 8 feet.

There is no objective standard for GI vs. players clubs. So I think it is an oversimplification to break it down that way. Dispersion is also about more than the club head. The shaft, your swing, shot shape, your common miss, even the grip influence dispersion and how a club head will perform.

My advice? Get with a really good club fitter and get a set of irons that minimizes your dispersion and do not worry whether it is categorized as a players, GI or SGI head.

For me being fit(lie, length, grip, launch characteristics, swing weight, shaft weight and flex) are the key factors in iron accuracy. Whether the head is a blade, muscleback, or GI is less important.

Once I checked my ego, I didn't care what clubs I used or what everyone thought of the clubs. They worked, I scored lower and enjoyed the game more. That ego can get you into trouble!

Many of the best players I know use some type of GI clubs. I still use blades because I love them, but I have NO ego when it comes to golf, and I've never looked down on anyone for using any certain type of club. I'd game womens clubs if they made me better.

What were you playing when you were working off a 3 cap? Were you hitting greens more frequently then?

Good question John. I've always played Ping irons and usually their i range. I've always considered it s good compromise. The reason for considering a more GI iron is they are starting to look much better in these latest iteration. Plus I feel that I will always be able to take advantage of more forgiveness. I'm probably like many THPers in the fact that I look down on pure blades and absolutely drool over the looks but I know I just should not play them as it wouldn't be a smart move for my game. I'm in the middle now and find the best look/compromise to my eye while pushing the boundaries towards those blades. I'm just considering going that next step towards even more forgiveness.

I started this thread selfishly for advice but I think its a really good convo for many of us as well.

Forgiveness is your friend. It's why I constantly ponder mixed sets and even went away from long irons to a hybrid in the 5 spot.

Are you missing greens left and right or long and short? In 10 swings what does your impact tape look like for irons? There is also no reason your PW has to be the same as your 6 iron. I am not a big fan of GI wedges normally but am happy to take the help in longer clubs. Play the club you hit the best. Hell I still have a 6 hybrid in my bag because I was hitting it better than my 6 iron.

My misses are usually left. My impact location usually lives more to the toe. I've have a good bit of video on my swing and my miss is usually from setup more than over the top. I can go to the range and pure 10 shots fairly easily with my alignment sticks and any length Club. The problem comes when on course. In my mind, I see every shot as a draw. It's what I've always played. I get over the ball and it's hard to imagine anything else. I start adjusting my stance and get myself out of alignment. There are a ton of things for me to correct and work on but that would still be the case with GI irons, blades or the clubs I am playing now. It's part of the equation but not really why I started this thread at all.

Im not a labels guy, because the industry has moved passed that in my opinion, but looking at it black and white, one of the biggest differences between them is spin. The usual are known, larger sole size, more perimeter weighting, higher MOI, etc. Spin is one of the major differences and this is done for a reason. Most of the newer more forgiving clubs are lower spin by design. This is less about distance (its a byproduct for sure) and more about creating an easier ball flight to embrace for the larger pool of players. Their are lower spin options in smaller packages (see Apex CF16).

One thing I forgot to ask was if you were playing any less frequently now as opposed then. Anyway...

More forgiveness is always a good thing IMHO, unless you can't stand looking down at the club that provides it. I know a guy who plays basically scratch golf with a set of G15s. I would say if you think the G400 will help your game and you find them aesthetically pleasing, then grab a set. Is there somewhere that will let you rent/demo them for a round?

One thing I forgot to ask was if you were playing any less frequently now as opposed then. Anyway...

More forgiveness is always a good thing IMHO, unless you can't stand looking down at the club that provides it. I know a guy who plays basically scratch golf with a set of G15s. I would say if you think the G400 will help your game and you find them aesthetically pleasing, then grab a set. Is there somewhere that will let you rent/demo them for a round?

Playing relatively the same amount. I'm practicing more often due to lessons and swing tweaks.

I'm definitely taking my time on this one. Normally I would impulse buy something but I have a great set and can continue to play them while I learn on this journey. My club has Ping G400 demos, Taylormade M2 demos and Callaway Apex demos. When I fully commit to start down this road I would definitely get the full fitting for the proper shafts. I would think my shaft options may be different than what I am used to playing due to what JB mentioned. These clubs are designed to be different for a reason.

If you're tweaking your swing I wouldn't get too rambunctious. But I probably would play a round or two with the demo sets just because

Playing relatively the same amount. I'm practicing more often due to lessons and swing tweaks.

I'm definitely taking my time on this one. Normally I would impulse buy something but I have a great set and can continue to play them while I learn on this journey. My club has Ping G400 demos, Taylormade M2 demos and Callaway Apex demos. When I fully commit to start down this road I would definitely get the full fitting for the proper shafts. I would think my shaft options may be different than what I am used to playing due to what JB mentioned. These clubs are designed to be different for a reason.

The shaft options arent going to change a lot, because they are not going to impact anywhere near as much as the head will.
I have one silly question though. In the ping i200 thread, you have been raving about these to the point they are nearly point and shoot. If they are offering the forgiveness, you love the brand and they are that easy to use, why the sudden change? Lots of good reviews in that thread agree with you too.

Play the biggest iron head you can like the looks of. I think you will find a wide variety of handicaps and what type of club they play. It's about what you like and what makes to go out and play/practice.

Back