For those playing an 815 or 816 14° fwy wood. What are your settings and shaft?

Jackal

Reaction score
Handicap
I just bought an 815 -14° fwy wood.
It will be used off of the tee, and for gaining distance when I top my drive, or hit a tree, etc.

What I want to know is:
What shaft are you playing?
Is the 30g weight forward or back?
What is the hosel set at?
Draw, or standard?
Loft?

I have looked at some of the reviews and most are just reading the Callaway ad from a magazine or internet.
Some of the threads are filled with non-info comments such as: "Let me know how it works", "looking forward to feedback ", "Can't wait for results!", etc.
Thanks for the info.

I gamed the BBA 815 14* up to about a month ago. Absolutely loved that club, it transformed my FWW game. It really does play as two very different clubs depending upon where you choose to install the 30 gram weight too. I recently replaced it with an essentially identical club when I happened to stumble upon a brand new looking Epic Sub Zero 3+ (13.5*) in a used bin for $120. I've done a lot of H2H with both, also swapped shafts between them, and even messed with installing the 30g weight from my 815 where the 22g would go on the ESZ (counter balanced the grip end a little when I did). The numbers and on course performance of the 815 are really close to what I see out of my new ESZ too.

For me my 3W is more an off the fairway yardage eater and a club I'll hit into greens when the right yardage presents itself than it is a frequent off the tee option. I personally had no forgiveness, launch, or green holding issues with my BBA 815 weighted aggressively (30 g forward) so that's how I gamed it to maximize the ball speeds and yardage potential. I also played it with the stock speeder 665 shaft with the hosel set to stated 14* loft and neutral. If you need/want more launch it's certainly there in the hosel settings and the weighting. For me bumping that 30 g weight from front to back changed my launch about the same as adding 1* on the hosel and the ball definitely rolls out less with the weight back.

I have my 815 3w which is 14° set at +1/D heavy weight back because that is how it was fit for me at the ECPC 3 years ago. Haven't touched it since.

Thanks!! This is exactly the type of reviews and info I'm looking for.

Back