Sha!!ing the ball

choda

Reaction score
Handicap
I played a round yesterday with a buddy and I played like crap. So after the round I went to the range to see if I could find something and then sha!! sha!! sha!! what was going on I havent hit the ball that bad ever I think. So the OCD was kicking in and I had to go back to the range today to mess around. First few were bad then a good one then bad and bad and bad so I took a minute to think and I found that I was not releasing the club then bam I was back. This game is crazy haha. Has anyone els had this happen ?

Moved to golf talk forum since no tips needed.

I'm a super newb so this happens much more than usual. Especially at the range. Had a great range sessions on the weekend, then went yesterday and couldn't hit a ball worth a damn. I know why, though. I was tired and was coming up out of my stance. Hitting the range again tomorrow to try and work that out before playing this weekend. Fingers crossed, LOL.

I had a great round going Sunday and I was up to the easiest Par 3 on the course. Simple 9i. Then I thought "don't shank it". Well I Shanked it onto the driving range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its such an evil thing!!!

Once or twice a year I'll have a 9 or range session where I look like I've never hit a ball before. No rhyme or reason. I just chalk it up to golf being golf, let the club's sit for a day per two and then try a range session with mostly half swings to find my groove again

I've battled them for 40+ years. I can go a whole season or two without them, and then BANG one goes off the hosel! I can usually fix them (my swing sometimes gets too flat, and I need to get more upright) but the mental torture stays for a while.

I never knew what a shank was until I read Ben Hogan's lessons. For some reason that opened up the whole sh**nk thing.

... I took a minute to think and I found that I was not releasing the club then bam I was back. This game is crazy haha. Has anyone els had this happen ?

Yes. Anybody seeing the wedges I hit at the range a couple weeks ago probably thought I'd never hit a golf ball in my life before. They were going as wide right as they were far -- sweeping slices, from the far left of the range tee to the right edge of the range. I had never hit a PW that bad in my life; didn't even attempt to hit another club.

I realized at home that I was not rotating my arms and releasing the club properly, leaving the face wide open at impact. No such problems with wide right wedges in the round I played last week.

Back