2015 Weight Loss and Nutrition Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Turkey, avocado, provolone and green chilis on whole wheat is now my favorites healthy lunch thing ever.

Turkey, avocado, provolone and green chilis on whole wheat is now my favorites healthy lunch thing ever.

Its really good. The bread has too many points for me in most cases, unless I go with that tiny bread, but its a great sandwich otherwise.

That sounds awesome fup!

202.6 this morning.

I can't put into words how much better I feel physically and mentally already after just 2. 5 weeks.

202.6 this morning.

I can't put into words how much better I feel physically and mentally already after just 2. 5 weeks.

Soon! That number will start with 1

I think this is what I'm having for lunch today.

Soon! That number will start with 1
Yessirrrrr! Never thought sub 200 before Disney could be a reality, but I think it might be now.

You've got this buddy. I'm looking at 220's this week. And I've done nothing but cut out some crap food, and shrink the portion size. I bring my lunch daily so that nulls out fast food.

You've got this buddy. I'm looking at 220's this week. And I've done nothing but cut out some crap food, and shrink the portion size. I bring my lunch daily so that nulls out fast food.

Thats awesome. I have a feeling we are going to nickname you 2 Bills pretty soon because you will be at that 200 mark.

January is the goal.

Today was one of those frustrating scale days. Ate better than I have been, was at the gym 3 days plus a lot of moving around this weekend, and I'm right where I started last week. I know that number isn't everything - I "feel" like I've lost weight otherwise, but it's frustrating. But I've got a plan that's worked for me in the past, and I'm going to keep sticking with it - I know the results will be there eventually.

After a really bad Labor Day weekend of not watching what I ate, tried to get back into it yesterday and at least burned off what I had put on. Now it's back to business. It's amazing how quickly you get used to sugar (and how quick you feel the withdrawal effects) when you remove most of it from your diet. Yesterday was rough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today was one of those frustrating scale days. Ate better than I have been, was at the gym 3 days plus a lot of moving around this weekend, and I'm right where I started last week. I know that number isn't everything - I "feel" like I've lost weight otherwise, but it's frustrating. But I've got a plan that's worked for me in the past, and I'm going to keep sticking with it - I know the results will be there eventually.
I'm in the same boat. Hitting a minor stall. Same weight for last 3 days. Have eaten healthy all 3 days and got in some exercise as well. I know if I stick to it, the weight will have to drop.

I'm in the same boat. Hitting a minor stall. Same weight for last 3 days. Have eaten healthy all 3 days and got in some exercise as well. I know if I stick to it, the weight will have to drop.

Yup - just have to trust the process, but it's always a bit easier to stay motivated when you see numbers change.

Started working out a little more regularly this week. Ran 2 miles yesterday and did some upper body work today. I feel really good right now.

Yessirrrrr! Never thought sub 200 before Disney could be a reality, but I think it might be now.

You're tall and looked lean already at the UST event. I'm not sure where you are hiding the weight.

I got down about 40 pounds and then put on 7. I have lost 5 of those 7 over the last 2 weeks and my ultimate goal is another 30. I am not going to go crazy like last time as I don't think that is sustainable. Instead focusing on fruits, veggies, and lean protein. Trying to cut out as much junk as possible. It has to be a lifestyle change if I ever want it t o work.

I got down about 40 pounds and then put on 7. I have lost 5 of those 7 over the last 2 weeks and my ultimate goal is another 30. I am not going to go crazy like last time as I don't think that is sustainable. Instead focusing on fruits, veggies, and lean protein. Trying to cut out as much junk as possible. It has to be a lifestyle change if I ever want it t o work.

This is what we have been focusing on and it seems to work well for us. I just wish I could get a fitness component in the mix.

As someone that travels like I do, its harder than most to stay that way. But if you work at it, as you have, it can absolutely be done.

This is what we have been focusing on and it seems to work well for us. I just wish I could get a fitness component in the mix.

Yep that is the hardest part for a lot of people. I happen to enjoy spending some quality time in the gym

As someone that travels like I do, its harder than most to stay that way. But if you work at it, as you have, it can absolutely be done.

Yep I proved it to myself. I lost 40 pounds while traveling, it is all about making the best choices you can with the options given, but not sweating it if you have a meal or two while you are out of town that is 100% healthy. All about the right frame of mind IMO. Never cheating will not be a sustainable choice for me long term.

I have to admit, I'm extremely happy we are splitting these topics into separate threads because the conglomeration is a large reason I stopped posting about any of my goals/day-to-day and as such it cost me a good motivational tool in this forum.

After the Doc and I having Lotte its been the battle most parents face, you eat what you can when you can and add to that my wife having the ability to eat WAY more calories than me thanks to nursing, I fell into a deep hole I thought I was over with.

This past sunday I hit 211.2, and frankly I couldn't be more disgusted or pissed off about it, its a far cry from the 245+ I was at when still coaching football and S&C, but still, at one point I had it down to 198 and then got complacent. I've lost 20+ via weight watchers and also 20+ by Atkins and I believe firmly that both work. This time though for me my schedule necessitates something different so I'm doing it the much more basic way, off of my BMR I am cutting my daily caloric intake to 1800 with the emphasis being on whole foods (and still trying to keep the carbs around 200g or less daily) and combining it with carrying when playing 3 times a week and jogging for 30+ 3 days a week. Facts are facts, running a deficit in calories while still getting the nutrients you need will yield results.

I'm a new convert to myfitnesspal and I effing LOVE it. Four days in and I hit 207 this morning, the goal for me is 190 or below by #TheGrandaddy, and it will happen. Plus, the deal with my wife has always been if I can hit 190 then I can get the ink I want, and thats a very important goal for me emotionally speaking. Plus, I want to be the healthiest I have ever been for Lotte. I've done the strength training and bulking muscle for literally almost 20 years of my life and I'm so over it is isn't funny. My daughter won't give a crap what I max, she will only care that I'm around.

Freaking LOVE this thread.

The best part about MFP, if you get a Fitbit, they sync together so you can see how many calories you can have after doing some walking or something like that. That is if you are going out to dinner or something and want to splurge a little more. I've got the regular Fitbit, but I'd love to have the HR. My only "beef" with MFP is some of the stuff is hard to track. I bring a salad to work every day and I'm not sure exactly how much I bring. So how do I honestly track that? I will use it here and there then come to a point where I say "eff it" and stop tracking because I can't figure out how to put what I ate into it.

I didn't read the whole thread, but from the looks of it, I'm the anchor around here. I weighed in at just under 280 a couple weeks back. Being a diabetic isn't helping any. My doc prescribed some insulin a few months back. I started taking it and noticed I was hungrier and was putting weight on. I mentioned this to her and she said "Yep insulin will do that to you." So being a diabetic I need to lose weight, yet you knowingly prescribe something that will cause weight gain? Oh well that's a rant for another time.

My wife and I did the South Beach Diet a little more than 4 years ago. We were doing it, 1. to get healthier and 2. for her to get pregnant. We each lost about 30 pounds. Once she got pregnant, we both fell off the wagon. I put on all the weight and then some. Then after Andrew was born, we didn't have time to make a healthier meal or to exercise. I need to figure something out though. I'm 115 pounds heavier than I was when I graduated high school 14 years ago.

After a really bad Labor Day weekend of not watching what I ate, tried to get back into it yesterday and at least burned off what I had put on. Now it's back to business. It's amazing how quickly you get used to sugar (and how quick you feel the withdrawal effects) when you remove most of it from your diet. Yesterday was rough.

I made ad some poor choices this weekend and was exausted all day with no sugar yesterday. Pretty crazy.

The best part about MFP, if you get a Fitbit, they sync together so you can see how many calories you can have after doing some walking or something like that. That is if you are going out to dinner or something and want to splurge a little more. I've got the regular Fitbit, but I'd love to have the HR. My only "beef" with MFP is some of the stuff is hard to track. I bring a salad to work every day and I'm not sure exactly how much I bring. So how do I honestly track that? I will use it here and there then come to a point where I say "eff it" and stop tracking because I can't figure out how to put what I ate into it.

I didn't read the whole thread, but from the looks of it, I'm the anchor around here. I weighed in at just under 280 a couple weeks back. Being a diabetic isn't helping any. My doc prescribed some insulin a few months back. I started taking it and noticed I was hungrier and was putting weight on. I mentioned this to her and she said "Yep insulin will do that to you." So being a diabetic I need to lose weight, yet you knowingly prescribe something that will cause weight gain? Oh well that's a rant for another time.

My wife and I did the South Beach Diet a little more than 4 years ago. We were doing it, 1. to get healthier and 2. for her to get pregnant. We each lost about 30 pounds. Once she got pregnant, we both fell off the wagon. I put on all the weight and then some. Then after Andrew was born, we didn't have time to make a healthier meal or to exercise. I need to figure something out though. I'm 115 pounds heavier than I was when I graduated high school 14 years ago.
As the father of a Type 1 diabetic, and having 5 immediate family members that are Type 2 I have a some thoughts on your struggles. I am guessing you are Type 2, and hopefully with the weight loss you can at least reduce your management requirements and potentially reduce if not completely get off insulin and any insulin resistance meds. Not necessarily the case, but regardless it will greatly improve your management of this disease and improve your health.

For diabetics, to a certain degree carbs are the debil. With my daughter being Type 1, every meal/snack is potential life threatening event. We have to account for every carb that goes in her body and dose for it. Literally, she has a manual pancreas. We are extremely fortunate given technology today that nutritional information from most any restaurant or food is readily available. You mentioned MFP, and it is a great resource I use myself to track my macros and look up hers. There are a couple of keys to tracking and accounting for the carbs.

1). You need to spend some time with actual measuring devices so you know how much a cup of this, or an ounce of that looks like. My guess is you will be totally shocked at the actual portions you are eating relative to what you think. After a while you will be able to make a good guess on the portion size.

2). With carbs, and really all food intake the old adage "if you fail to plan you plan to fail" is spot on. Spend a day or two a week prepping your own meals, creating measured portions for meals and you will accurately know what you ate. You can store meals and recipes in MFP, and recall them each time you eat.

3). Simplicity is your friend. While you are in weight loss mode keep the menu simple. If you can, have effectively the same meals with the same items in it every day. Cheat meals help you stay on point, as long as it doesn't turn into a binge.

4) A carb is NOT a carb. You will find your body does not react the same way to different types of foods with relatively high carb counts. Some react fast, some will linger and hit you later. Unprocessed carbs are your friend. Breads, pizza, chips can create a major disruption. And remember, carbs are really your body's fuel for activity. Time the greatest intake to before you will workout or be active, and some just after. Also, what doesn't get burned gets stored. i.e. fat

5). When you think you do not have time for all this, just remember this. You have time for what is necessary. And this is life threateningly necessary. You will adapt and it becomes second nature. My daughter is in high school, taking all pre AP courses, and is a ballerina dancing 25-30 hours a week. Near show times even more. Her day starts at 8:30 and she gets home at about 10 at night Monday thru Thursady, 7:00 on Friday, and dances 6 hours on Saturday. And she tracks all that she had to do on her own. It can be done, and has to.

6) Eating lean protein will help you stay satiated.

After my my daughter was diagnosed, my brother and dad who are insulin dependent Type 2 starting accounting for carbs and eating basically like her. Both lost a lot of weight, actually too much when they did. In fact, the doc wants my dad to put back on some weight. Neither was able to get off insulin, but had to alter their dosage and get off other meds.

Good luck! If you have any questions feel free to contact me. Not an expert, but I do a little more than just sleep in Holiday Inns.

Pick a day and time and weigh yourself the same time every week. Your weight will fluctuate from your to hour, day to day. You will get a more accurate weight if you do it once a week. Just ignore the scale the other 6 days. I yell at my husband for doing the same thing.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back