luvagoodshot

Reaction score
Handicap
Yes
I don't know about you, but when it comes to putting, I get more upset over missing a five foot putt than I do when I come close to sinking a 25 foot putt but miss

I suppose we all feel that way, don't we?

Why get upset at all? If you made a good stroke and started the ball on your intended line then you did everything you could do and sometimes the ball doesn't go in the hole. If you didn't start the ball on your intended line, then work on making a better stroke.

Yup. All season long this was me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remeber, it's just a game. I am obsessed with golf as well. I do get upset when I miss a 2 footer, but remind myself it is a game. If you can play the game, life is good.

Expectation increases as distance decreases. If missing 5 footers is a problem; leave yourself longer putts.

What is tough for me is when im putting for bogey and miss one of these.......or even better im putting for bogey and blow it completely by the hole....that's always fun

Missing 5' putts is frustrating. But its part of golf. I try not to dwell on them, because if I do, my putting stroke becomes hesitant and I don't put a good roll on the ball. I try to have a short memory - some days you make them all, some days you miss them all!

A miss from 5' means i misread it. Usually by seeing more break than is actually there. I don't know how many times ive played too much break on those short ones and then scolded myself "don't give up the hole!!!!"

Definitely more frustrated over missing a putt that I should make than a near miss on a putt that I, or anyone else, seldom makes. But don't let that frustration carry on to future holes.

Expectation increases as distance decreases. If missing 5 footers is a problem; leave yourself longer putts.
Or make sure your first putt is closer.

Well, I can leave myself a similar short tap in most times from either 25' or 6'.
Thinking of starting The ACNI Club and ordering T-shirts - "Always Close - Never In".

Thankfully I do not bother getting upset or annoyed. Just keep on enjoyin' the game :smile:

I missed 8 birdie putts 15' and closer yesterday. 4 of which were 5' or closer. Drives me crazy. I can make the first birdie no problem but after that something happens in my head and I struggle to make multiples.

I only react when I push or pull my stroke. I don't care where the ball ended up. I worked on valuing the process not the result. Everyone misses short ones sometimes but not often.

My philosophy is that I am going to mis-read some putts so I try not to get too upset about those, but I do get annoyed when I can't get the ball started on my line. At that point it's literally just whacking it towards the hole and hoping for a lucky break.
Missing a 5 ft putt because I yanked it or pushed it is certainly a recipe for frustration.

I don't get upset when I miss putts of any length as long as it was the put out the stroke as I intended.

Sometimes I was not paying attention I missed a few in side 2 feet. What irks me is pull or last second tensed up and put came up short. The mental mistake is what I'm trying to eliminate.

Putting is hard enough and I want to give my brain all of the control and not getting in the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm not good at reading greens or judging speed. So a majority of my putts are left short, sadly. Then of course 1 or 2 times a round I crush it since I'm frustrated at leaving putts short and it goes well past the hole.

Yes, I'm upset over my putting haha.

I don't get upset over misses, I get upset over execution. If I hit my intended line, then I zero issue. If you push or pull, then I get miffed.

If you make a good stroke on the line you intended then I don't see the point in getting upset to be honest, but if you push/pull your putt from your intended line then I agree, you could be upset about it but then make the effort to not do the same with the next putt

I will mentally give myself a kick if I make a bad stroke (on any shot) but golf is too hard for anyone to get upset or annoyed whenever they make a bad shot, even the professionals hit bad shots in every round, so I never let it linger in my memory. The big difference is their bad shot is often not as bad as mine or your bad shot

I don't get upset over misses, I get upset over execution. If I hit my intended line, then I zero issue. If you push or pull, then I get miffed.
For the most part I feel this same way except for the fact that I get upset over how bad I am at reading greens.

it bothers me most when Im not sinking putts inside 5feet. I mean there are times when I cannot sink a 3,4,5 footer. And it just kills me. For some reason I am more comfy from 10 feet or more and even lag putt from big distances rather well. The closer I get the more trouble I seem to have. Oh I do have my share of rounds where I just sink everything that's fair enough to sink :) but then just like the rest of my game it can disappear :(

And honestly when it comes to shorter putts its sometimes just laziness on my part. Its either I will not care enough or then at times its the opposite where I will over think the darn thing.

I think we have a higher expectation of making the 5 footer which leads to that frustration

Yep. I agree here. As long as I start it on my intended line with close to the speed I wanted I'm fine with results. Push or pull I feel right away and just start walking to the hole cause I know I missed.

I think we have a higher expectation of making the 5 footer which leads to that frustration

Some PGA tour numbers. I think I remember the rule was to subtracting 3% for amateurs.

PUTTING PROBABILITIES Distance (feet)
1' 100%
3' 96%
5' 76%
7' 56%
10' 38%
12' 31%
15' 23%
20' 15%
25' 10%
30' 7%
40' 4%
50' 3%
60' 2%

As long as I put a good stroke on it and stick to my line, I never am too bent outta shape over a putt. Only time I get "pissed" is if there is a divot or some weird bump on the green I didn't catch and it alters my line/speed.

I get upset if it's a 3 putt. Or upset at missed chances, but not upset upset.

Back