it wasn't bad enough where it should have bounced 30 ft in the air and into the woods. That's like saying Dustin Johnson aimed too close to the pin and deserved to go in the water a few weeks ago.

So how far in the air off a sprinkler head would have been acceptable? 10', 20'? MY point was that if I don't hit my target then it's not a good shot and where the ball ends up is a consequence of that shot. Dustin hit a great shot that hit the flag and cost him shots, rub of the green.

So how far in the air off a sprinkler head would have been acceptable? 10', 20'? MY point was that if I don't hit my target then it's not a good shot and where the ball ends up is a consequence of that shot. Dustin hit a great shot that hit the flag and cost him shots, rub of the green.

Even though my shot wasn't on target. I didn't deserve a penalty shot that got lost in the woods. Without the sprinkler head I would have been left with a short chip at worst Sprinkler head was in a bad spot.

I think this all as a matter of opinion. It's also based on a players perception of what a good shot is. As a low capper missing the green and hitting a sprinkler head may not qualify. But if your a high capper and hitting the shot that ends that way it may qualify.

Also, as in the shot that I referenced in the OP, it was the first hole of the Legacy event, so the intensity of the moment for me came into play. I will say I may of been amped up.

We're all different and see things differently. I don't think this thread needs to be so literal.

Isn't 'rub of the green' when you catch a bad break from a good shot? Just asking because if I end up in the crap, it's a bad shot.

It can also be a good break from a bad shot, like a ball heading into the primeval forest hitting a tree and ricocheting back into the fairway. It is just what the OP says, nothing more - a ball in motion being deflected by an outside agency. The result can be good or bad, but it's still a "rub of the green" either way.

I think this all as a matter of opinion. It's also based on a players perception of what a good shot is. As a low capper missing the green and hitting a sprinkler head may not qualify. But if your a high capper and hitting the shot that ends that way it may qualify.

Also, as in the shot that I referenced in the OP, it was the first hole of the Legacy event, so the intensity of the moment for me came into play. I will say I may of been amped up.

We're all different and see things differently. I don't think this thread needs to be so literal.

Good point. I couldn't break 90 back then so that wasn't necessarily a BAD shot for me.

I think in this instance it's considering that the 'rub of the green' has caused the shot to be much more penalizing than it should have been. I know if I'm just off of the green I have a great chance at a par save after missing my target...but if it deflects out into say a water hazard or the woods, it's basically adding an extra shot (or 2 if it's now OB or lost) that wouldn't normally have happened had you just hit grass. I'd consider that rub of the green in that case. Yes, it wasn't a great shot, but it wasn't as bad as what you received outcome wise.

If you slice a drive and it hits cart path to go OB, then I think that's more of what you're saying that it's just a bad shot instead of "rub of the green".

Not to be pedantic, but officially, a 'rub of the green' is when a ball in motion is deflected or stopped by an outside agency. I mention this only because some people use the phrase to mean "any kind of bad luck" such as your ball ending up in a divot hole. Obviously not a big deal if someone misuses the phrase, but just an FYI that it does have an actual definition.

It is interesting to note that many people would refer to a ball bouncing off a sprinkler head and bounding out of bounds as a "damn rub of the green" but you won't often hear people whose ball bounces off a sprinkler head and lands on the green saying "what an awesome rub of the green!" In short, it's typically associated with bad luck, not good.

Whoops - just noticed Rick had previously pointed out the official defintion...my bad for the duplication.

Even though my shot wasn't on target. I didn't deserve a penalty shot that got lost in the woods. Without the sprinkler head I would have been left with a short chip at worst Sprinkler head was in a bad spot.

What if your shot was off target into the trees but got a lucky bounce off one of the trees and you ended up on the green. Would you deserve that?

What if your shot was off target into the trees but got a lucky bounce off one of the trees and you ended up on the green. Would you deserve that?

No. But that's not what happened. When I get a lucky break I acknowledge that too, I don't say "I hit a perfect draw into that tree to bounce it on the green. I'm pretty sure the designers aren't intending the players to play off of the sprinklers. They are a necessary evil.

I'm pretty sure the designers aren't intending the players to play off of the sprinklers. They are a necessary evil.

So are cart paths, cart arrow signs, any stakes, any signage at all, tee markers, rakes, ground under repair areas, etc. etc.... heck, even trees are a necessary evil I suppose lol. Play golf long enough and enough times and we are all bound to see all kinds of crazy stuff happen for both better and worse with all these things.

I don't care what we call it. It just is what it is. Sometimes its a life saver and sometimes its a death.

Last edited:
rub of the green is why I ended up in the water the other day... darn bad bounces...

What if your shot was off target into the trees but got a lucky bounce off one of the trees and you ended up on the green.

Technically - that would be what's called "un-jacked" ... as opposed to hitting a perfect punch shot & there's that one branch sticking out from that tree when it's like the hand of God reaches out and swats your ball straight down - that's being "jacked" !

Perfect tee shot on a dog leg left 12th hole. I hit a 4H dead straight that landed and was bounding up right onto the green. Ball hits a sprinkler head and ricochets left off the fairway down onto the hillside next to the bunker. With a crappy lie on the hillside, I take out my LW and pitch it over the bunker and land it on the green 8 feet from the flag. Made the putt.

Hit 8 iron that's on a near perfect trajectory to the green, but hits a small branch... the only branch sticking out of the tree on that side and ricochets across the fairway out of bounds.

Mine is a good " rub", playing match play all even on the 18th, I hit a good drive in middle of the fairway, opponent was 15 yards father than me, I pulled an 8 iron left, hit sprinkler head and bounced back on green to about 4 feet, opponent, shook his head and then hit it in green side bunker with a dried egg lie. Ended up winning on up.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I had my fair share of lucky bounces in the round so this one is more or less canceled out, but I reached my nemesis par five (double dog leg and hard to get there in 2) with a GIR. or so I thought.

Pitch from about 60 looked perfect and pin seeking. Hit the stick on the first bounce before it could check up and shot off the green into the severely sloped rough. Average chip and a few putts later I walked off with a double instead of having a makable birdie putt.

As Neil hamburger would say, but that's my life!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back