Fairway Wood Off the Deck

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
How often do you play your FW woods off the deck? Are there certain models that you find easier to do this with?

I really only play this shot maybe 2-3 times a round.

1. Try to get home in 2 on a par 5. Or even around the green.

2. Hit a terrible drive short in the fairway and try to get it around the green on a par 4.

I dont seem to have trouble hitting any woods other than driver off the deck. Although I dont believe drivers should be used this way to begin with haha

My 5w typically gets used off the deck a couple times a round. The 3w not too frequently unless going for it on a longer par 5 and there's not a lot of trouble.

So far I'd say my current Big Berthas are the easiest I've owned off the deck. Don't have a ton of experience with other models on course, so it's tough to say.

I'd say for every time I take a FW off the deck, I hit it off the tee five times. So a 5:1 ratio. However, I typically test fairway woods off the deck nearly exclusively because that is a shot I struggle with. If a club can perform for me on a tough shot of mine, I figure it can on an easier shot.

I have a 4 and 7 that I use a lot. The 7 could be my favorite club in my set.

It has to be a low profile. Tall faces just don't work for me in my fairway woods.

How often do you play your FW woods off the deck? Are there certain models that you find easier to do this with?

Almost never. The only time I would think about it is trying to get to a par 5 in 2 from over 220 out with little trouble in front of the green. Those shots usually don't go well for me, I'm better off hitting my longest hybrid and getting close to the green with that club.

I do quite often. Don't usually have too many issues doing so. Depends on the trouble around the green whether or not I'll pull the trigger on the FW.

Not often, unless I'm going after a par 5 in two. I thought the original Xhot pros were really good off the deck, but I have never had a FW where I've found it difficult off the deck.

It's a very rare shot for me. I'd say once every 4 rounds or so. Only if it will get me on on a par 5 and there is limited trouble around the green.

Don't even carry one. That sweeping swing just doesn't work for me. Also, no need for one at my home course.

Depends on the course. I have no concern about hitting a 3 wood off the deck. Heavenwood I'll hit multiple times a round. 3 wood, maybe once or twice.

Probly 3-5 times a round. Usually after an awful drive or on a par 5. I am not a great fairway wood player at all. Other then my heaven wood. My game actually improved towards the end of the summer because I stopped trying to hit them unless I was having a good day. I played an xr 4 wood but has mixed results ( wrong flex shaft and bad swing) when it was good and I was playing a lot it was really solid. However the 2 best I have found that I am better with is the w/s d200 and the King Ltd 3/4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do it fairly often on par 5's and I have found smaller profile FW's easier for me. I have no problems with the XR pro FW's.

Maybe 1 or 2 times per round and for the same reason as the first response to this thread. I find it difficult, especially if the lie is anything other than even/level, but easier than hybrids for me. I find that my Callaway XR works well and is pretty forgiving on mis-hits. So much that I'm dropping a 3 iron and going to a 5 wood (probably the XR, but not positive yet).

A lot, but, I also have a heavenwood in the bag and thats cheating for me from the 230+range.

With 3w, rarely, only on par 5's where I've taken danger out of play or I absolutely NEED to press to get strokes back.

Heavenwood and it is not close. I hit that thing all of the time off of the deck. Any chance I get that is over 215 yards. I rarely pull 4 wood.

I absolutely adore that club off of the deck and tee.

I would say 2 to 3 times in a round. I always seem to hit my 5wd better that my 3wd probably due to the shorter length.
My heaven wood is probably a club that will be in my bag for the foreseeable future

I have the least amount of confidence in this exact shot, I almost always take something less, even an iron and hit a safe layup shot, I just have no confidence I'll get the carry out of it I need and more than likely will top and worm burn it.

I only carry a 3 wood and usually pull it out on par 5s where I have a "chance" of getting there in 2.
Lately I have been pulling out the 3W less and less and trying to play smarter and safer...most of the time :)

I hit 5 wood off the deck more than off the tee and i think the 3 wood is mostly off the tee because i rarely play courses that call for that long of an approach. Before my 816 3 wood i had only ever gamed the RBZ 3 wood and there were no issues hitting that off the deck

Rarely do I use 3wd off the deck. I would venture to say maybe 5 times all year have I done it and usually only if I hit a poor drive on a par5 and need to make up serious ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on the course but usually 3-5 times per round. Being a short hitter and being able to use the fairway (4 wood) off the deck is critical for me. It's my 190-200 yard club. Prior to using my current club I had the TM RB stage 2 4 wood both of which were pretty easy for me to use of the deck.

1. Hitting into par 5's in 2
2. A LOT off the tee on short par 4's or tight fairways that I absolutely have to hit in play ... plus I get great distance off the tee with my 3 wood, hit it almost the same distance as the driver

I find the smaller more compact heads are more comfortable for me. I liken them to the old TM Tour Spoon from the 80's, which is about the size of today's hybrids. Like the Titleist fairways I play (I'm biased I guess) but they set up nice to the ball and give me confidence, which is half the battle anyway. I also have a fairly tip stiff shaft in them so I feel I can take a rip at it and still have the control I am looking for.

Once a round, 2nd shot on the par 5 18th.

Typically once or twice a round on reachable par 5's. We have a 598 yards hole on my home course that is uphill and often into a little breeze so always on that hole. Generally I'm laying up if I'm more than 235 out.

Back