The Two Foot Downhill Curler (And Avoiding the Four Foot Folloeup)

Reframmellator

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Went out with my son and his father-in-law today. Two of us shoot around 100 and one of us (not I) typically scores around 80. We commented on the speed of the practice green, but it was nothing like the course. We play this course often, and this is the fastest we ever remember them. In fact, my son and I cannot recall any greens in the area ever being this fast.

We all know the putt - a two-footer above the hole at 10:30 or 1:30 on a steeply sloped green. The speeds were such today that a tap meant a minimum four-footer coming back. I can recall twelve of these putts in our group and only one going in. I missed all four of mine, although I sank all of the 4-6 foot return putts. The misses followed the same pattern - a tap, followed by a low-side miss or lip out.

Some remedies are obvious:

Practice those putts. That's my first choice, but I've never encountered greens this fast.

Hit it more firmly, to take out some of the break, and higher, to account for the break. Just don't miss, or that comeback putt is now 8-10 feet. I saw that in our group a few times today.

Stay below the hole. That was the plan, but the greens and the Surlyn ball were not cooperating.

Any drills for this kind of putt when the greens are abnormally fast?

Tricky for sure.
I know it sounds like a cop out but I do whatever it takes to do no worse than 3 here.

If it's a green I feel I can just touch it and let the lack of pace dictate the fall to the hole, I do that.
If I think I can push it to the back of the cup, I do that.

IMO golf is a feel game, and this is one of those instances.

Our course has fast greens, and this is what I do there.

I know... no help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tricky for sure.
I know it sounds like a cop out but I do whatever it takes to do no worse than 3 here.

If it's a green I feel I can just touch it and let the lack of pace dictate the fall to the hole, I do that.
If I think I can push it to the back of the cup, I do that.

IMO golf is a feel game, and this is one of those instances.

Our course has fast greens, and this is what I do there.

I know... no help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't be so hard on yourself. Thanks! It is feel - and, I suppose, on putts like these, trust. Trust the read to get there, and I guess if I'm gonna have a long one coming back anyway, I wanna miss on the high side. That should give me a higher percentage of conversions.

These putts are brutal when you encounter them. My home course has two spots (#9 and #10) where pins are quite often on a slope like this so I've had my fair share of butt puckering tappers that just seem to roll for an eternity. Advice for making the putts? I have nothing to offer there. Just have to read it and stroke it in every effort to make the putt and just deal with whatever you have left if you miss.
The real trick is if you do happen to 3 jack from inside 3 ft. due to a putt like this don't let it get you frustrated.

I think of those as jump shots. If I introduce it to the correct flow...it will be sucked into the hole. If not...so be it. Worst case scenario...I'm putting uphill. Let the force be with you.

Went out with my son and his father-in-law today. Two of us shoot around 100 and one of us (not I) typically scores around 80. We commented on the speed of the practice green, but it was nothing like the course. We play this course often, and this is the fastest we ever remember them. In fact, my son and I cannot recall any greens in the area ever being this fast.

We all know the putt - a two-footer above the hole at 10:30 or 1:30 on a steeply sloped green. The speeds were such today that a tap meant a minimum four-footer coming back. I can recall twelve of these putts in our group and only one going in. I missed all four of mine, although I sank all of the 4-6 foot return putts. The misses followed the same pattern - a tap, followed by a low-side miss or lip out.

Some remedies are obvious:

Practice those putts. That's my first choice, but I've never encountered greens this fast.

Hit it more firmly, to take out some of the break, and higher, to account for the break. Just don't miss, or that comeback putt is now 8-10 feet. I saw that in our group a few times today.

Stay below the hole. That was the plan, but the greens and the Surlyn ball were not cooperating.

Any drills for this kind of putt when the greens are abnormally fast?

OH MY GOODNESS!

I missed the most obvious and critical answer to this question, I apologize profusely for my oversight.
I think what I will type here, when heeded will solve this issue for you, not only in the next couple rounds, but for years to come.

This putt is given.
Its a gimmie.

OH MY GOODNESS!

I missed the most obvious and critical answer to this question, I apologize profusely for my oversight.
I think what I will type here, when heeded will solve this issue for you, not only in the next couple rounds, but for years to come.

This putt is given.
Its a gimmie.

Except for the fact that I've taught my son from Day One that we putt everything into the hole. Now I've failed as a parent . . . .

Except for the fact that I've taught my son from Day One that we putt everything into the hole. Now I've failed as a parent . . . .

Do as I say, not as I do can also be a valuable lesson in life's trials and tribulations.
But if that don't work for your moral compass, keep three jacking your way to better parenting.

:D

if you find a pattern, adjust to that pattern

Well.....if you ever encounter speeds like this again and are above the hole, putt off the toe of your putter.
Find you line, line up the putt as usual but just off the toe. Grip the putter a bit tighter so that the toe doesn't open at impact and take a stroke. The ball will stay it's line but come off the face dead allowing the slope to carry the speed to the hole. Will you make ever one, no. But you'll make some.
If you don't play fast greens then there is no way to practice these putts. Just keep this tip in your pocket when you encounter them.

Well.....if you ever encounter speeds like this again and are above the hole, putt off the toe of your putter.
Find you line, line up the putt as usual but just off the toe. Grip the putter a bit tighter so that the toe doesn't open at impact and take a stroke. The ball will stay it's line but come off the face dead allowing the slope to carry the speed to the hole. Will you make ever one, no. But you'll make some.
If you don't play fast greens then there is no way to practice these putts. Just keep this tip in your pocket when you encounter them.
Solid tip from Panda. I use this one on one particular green where our league plays for putts up to 15 feet above the hole, the green slopes so much you can breathe on it and it will get there.

Freddie beat me to it. Hit it off the toe.

Excellent advice as usual! Thanks!

Back