I'll be sending this to my wife, she is a brave soul, that stays home with a 1,2,3, and 4 year old. On top of that I travel 9 months a year...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She is a brave woman. The wife and I have a newborn, 2, and 3.5 year old. I thought we had it rough. We have had serious conversations about me staying home to watch the kids seeing as my entire paycheck goes to daycare and health insurance.

Anyone have some suggestions as to how to keep a 2 year old in his bed when it is bed time? My 3.5 and 2 year olds share a room. The older brother stays in there fine, but the younger just gets up and walks out about every 10 minutes. We have tried reading to them, letting them watch a movie, and no tv. He used to be great, up until our youngest was born 7 weeks ago.

She is a brave woman. The wife and I have a newborn, 2, and 3.5 year old. I thought we had it rough. We have had serious conversations about me staying home to watch the kids seeing as my entire paycheck goes to daycare and health insurance.

Ya, it's a tough decision. We've had the same conversation. I wouldn't have to travel and could work for the local power company if she wanted to get a job. But we chose to make the sacrifice of me traveling so she can stay home with the kids. You just have to find what works for you.

What percentage of you sarcastically cry back at your children when they've got nothing to cry about?

I have been guilty of this...

My youngest (5 heading towards 6) had 3 melt downs yesterday after school. Wow....I was really hoping those would stop after she turned 5, but no. They don't happen often, usually tends to be when she doesn't get her way (of course), but still. How do you all deal with this? Any suggestions? On the bright side, my 7 year old sees this and usually gives me the play by play if I miss one while at work. ha ha She knows it's not acceptable and that it doesn't end with getting her way, she's a quick learner...ha!
Mine is 2 and these happen more often I would think. We usually give him a 3 count and if he hasnt corrected the behavior its a quick Timeout for little guy. Nothing more than a min or two. I try really hard not to give in its truely a stubborn want there way kind of tantrum.

What percentage of you sarcastically cry back at your children when they've got nothing to cry about?
I've been known to do that to our 6 and 4 year old, the 6 year old is old enough to understand the sarcasm, my 4 year old is still figuring it out!

Regularly, with no shame. Granted, my kids are 12, 9 and 7 but I've found it to be effective regardless :wink:.

My wife is a bit frustrated this morning. Little man has decided that night is day and day is night (or I suppose early evening is night) and it's causing some stress.

Hopefully we can keep him a bit more entertained during the afternoon and evening hours today so he gives us a good nights sleep.

My wife is a bit frustrated this morning. Little man has decided that night is day and day is night (or I suppose early evening is night) and it's causing some stress.

Hopefully we can keep him a bit more entertained during the afternoon and evening hours today so he gives us a good nights sleep.

My daughter was a night owl too. It'll take some time to get him adjusted, and it's easy to get frustrated when you're working on several consecutive nights of a few hours sleep. Hang in there and tag team it and you should be able to get him fully adjusted in a week or so.

My son was the same way, for a long time. If keeping him awake in the afternoon/early evening doesn't work, there's always

Spoiler
Whiskey :banana: For both of you

My daughter was a night owl too. It'll take some time to get him adjusted, and it's easy to get frustrated when you're working on several consecutive nights of a few hours sleep. Hang in there and tag team it and you should be able to get him fully adjusted in a week or so.

The plan has always been for me to take the "night" shift, anything up until the 2-3am feeding. That way I can get a few consecutive hours of sleep. She keeps making the mistake of not sleeping while he is during the evenings, and it's biting her a bit. Easy enough for me while he snoozes, I guess. Otherwise I just sit here and watch him wave his arms around and be awesome.

My son was the same way, for a long time. If keeping him awake in the afternoon/early evening doesn't work, there's always

Spoiler

Delicious idea.

Spoiler

Hang on to that. Good with teething too :D

Anyone have some suggestions as to how to keep a 2 year old in his bed when it is bed time? My 3.5 and 2 year olds share a room. The older brother stays in there fine, but the younger just gets up and walks out about every 10 minutes. We have tried reading to them, letting them watch a movie, and no tv. He used to be great, up until our youngest was born 7 weeks ago.

Funny enough our 1st one had early bed syndrome and didn't want to stay in her bed. We used the Supernanny method of each time they came out you would put them directly back into the bed without a sound. It could last 10 minutes or could last 2 hours. But it works. We combined that with also sitting in their rooms and then slowly moving out of the room every few minutes. Sometimes it just takes the comfort of a parent being in the room with them for a bit to relax them. But once you start and are out the door and they continue to come out it's back in the bed with no speaking or getting discouraged or upset.

The plan has always been for me to take the "night" shift, anything up until the 2-3am feeding. That way I can get a few consecutive hours of sleep. She keeps making the mistake of not sleeping while he is during the evenings, and it's biting her a bit. Easy enough for me while he snoozes, I guess. Otherwise I just sit here and watch him wave his arms around and be awesome.

Delicious idea.

My wife was good at getting up with him in the middle of the night while she was still on leave. It made it easier for me to get to work and be productive at first.

Hang on to that. Good with teething too :D

While the Whiskey is a good idea for teething (I think) we swore by the orajel swab things. Simple and easy to use. So I suggest to all new parents to pick some up. Our son wasn't too bad when he was teething, but the couple of times he was super cranky, we broke those out and he was settled quickly and it prevented us from being bit by the other teeth already in.

My wife was good at getting up with him in the middle of the night while she was still on leave. It made it easier for me to get to work and be productive at first.

While the Whiskey is a good idea for teething (I think) we swore by the orajel swab things. Simple and easy to use. So I suggest to all new parents to pick some up. Our son wasn't too bad when he was teething, but the couple of times he was super cranky, we broke those out and he was settled quickly and it prevented us from being bit by the other teeth already in.

The orajel was great as well as those teething tablets. We did a dab of whiskey on our finger for our 2 oldest at times before bed. They would cut 4 at a time. Hoping our youngest is a bit better.

18 month olds make horrible sleeping partners. No sense of personal space. Kids head is pressed against my neck right now. No doubt his feet are in moms face.

18 month olds make horrible sleeping partners. No sense of personal space. Kids head is pressed against my neck right now. No doubt his feet are in moms face.

It doesn't get better as they get older. They just get longer and stronger. I don't even try anymore. Mine is old enough that she doesn't sleep in our bed very often but if she does I just wait until she goes to sleep and then haul her to her own bed.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

We allowed our daughter to sleep with us a few times right around that age, but we quickly put a stop to that when she always wanted to hop into bed with us. Mostly for those same reasons - there's no way to sleep with toes in your nose.

Wait until they are 3 and 4. My wife has a bad habit of letting them sleep in the bed when I'm gone, so when I'm home they still want to sleep in there. So we have Me, my wife, my 4 year old and 3 year old all arranged in the bed. So I sleep on the couch a fair bit, lol.

We try not to make a habit of it, thankfully. But when he wakes up at 4am sometimes its just easier not to fight it and haul him into bed with us in the hope we can snag a couple more hours of sleep. It rarely works out that way ...

Just had to haul 50lbs of child a 3' foot stuffed monkey and assorted other stuffies to her room. Next time I'm sleeping on the couch. Less painful.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

So yesterday was bite #2 in 3 days. Dropped kiddo off today and asked if the biting has cropped up again, and they confirmed it. Said about 8-9 kids are involved which is about 70% of the class. The last two times Nick was bitten he was 1. sleeping in his cot and was bit on his back, and 2. sitting down playing with a toy when the other kid walked past him and grabbed his arm and chomped down.

I understand my kid getting bit when he tries to snag food off someone else's plate, or grab a toy they've been playing with. But I get downright pissed off when my kid gets bit when he's asleep.

Problem is ... I know who the biter is. His mom works in HR. Guess who handles the daycare. Yep, you guessed it ... HR. Think they're going to enforce the "if your kid is a chronic biter, they'll be released" disclaimer we all signed at the beginning of the year? Doubtful.

That sucks Deuce, that is being in a rock and a hard place with who is the offender.

That sucks Deuce, that is being in a rock and a hard place with who is the offender.
Yeah, it's a rotten feeling. Particularly when you undress your kid and night and he has a nasty bruise on his back and another on his arm. Can't wrap the kid up in the bubble wrap, so just have to hope the daycare lives up to their reputation and put an end to this quickly.

Julia insisted she get to hold her new cousin Aubrey
ce0d2a5033f8218a7d410ec8132e073a.jpg

Back