Mini Driver vs. Choking Down on My Regular driver

2Bad4u

KABOOM BABY!
Reaction score
I've been toying with the thought of getting a mini driver. This could be done by either cutting down an existing driver or purchasing a new mini driver. Then it came to me that I could just grip down lower on my existing driver.

The advantages to gripping down are:

1. Avoids a new purchase
  2. One fewer clubs in the bag
  3. Exact same club head in play
  4. Potentially not ruining a good shaft if I didn't like the results of cutting down an existing driver
I understand why the mini driver market was created and the popularity of these clubs, but why not just grip down. Am I just missing something? :confused2:

You're not missing anything. I'm a bit different in that, I don't understand mini drivers.

Without knowing why you want a mini driver, just choke down

You're not missing anything. I'm a bit different in that, I don't understand mini drivers.

Without knowing why you want a mini driver, just choke down
Most importantly I'm looking for more accuracy on the tighter holes. Also, sometimes the driver is just too long for the desired shot.

Most importantly I'm looking for more accuracy on the tighter holes. Also, sometimes the driver is just too long for the desired shot.

I played a mini driver for several months for these reasons. Par 4 and 5s where I needed accuracy more than distance and when the driver was a little wonky. For some having a mini in the bag along with a driver doesn't make sense based on distances but could be an asset for days when driver isn't working

If you want to try something out, I made a short Driver with a ALPHA V2 400 cc (I think) Driver head and a shorter Pro Force V2 shaft stiff shaft. Plays about 42.5" If you want to try it PM me.

I Have had similar thoughts on this subject. The Bertha mini has been a big ponder for a while. I am hoping I can get the mini results with just choking down a little or buying a shaft that I can trim down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried an SLDR Mini for about a week, and then sold it. It just didn't work for me. I do have a 3Deep in the bag for tight fairways or the driver's not behaving, but the last 3-4 rounds I played had the driver in full play.

As far as choking down - I never seemed to be comfortable doing that, until I moved to mid-sized grips. Maybe it was all in my head, but having a thicker grip as I choked down seemed to give me a much higher comfort level.

Plus don't forget - a lot of mini drivers tend to have a higher loft than a standard driver, which helps with fewer balls going left and right if that's someone's reason to move over.

If you want to try something out, I made a short Driver with a ALPHA V2 400 cc (I think) Driver head and a shorter Pro Force V2 shaft stiff shaft. Plays about 42.5" If you want to try it PM me.

My everyday driver is at 42.50 inches. Fitting showed optimal length and it is a fairway finder. I give up very little yardage wise, but gain in accuracy.

Mini drivers are great if you can hit the center of the face on every single swing and have the SS to make it work. I owned 2 and there was no gain in them for me, plus the deeper face makes them less than perfect for most off a tight lie.

Fitting is what is key. It will tell you your correct driver length.

I recently bought a callaway mini. The concept of a smaller head driver, to me the newer 460cc drivers look like shoe boxes, intrigued me when I first heard of them and I had some money burning a hole in my pocket. The few times I tried choking down there was almost no difference (distance or direction). The mini is about 10-30 yards shorter, but more accurate. I gladly give up that distance for a few more chances to hit approach shots from the fairway.

Just for perspective keep in mind I am going from a 260cc 45" shafted titlest 975d to a 235cc 44" shafted callaway mini 1.5.

I really appreciate the offer but we would dealing with Canada Customs. Never a pleasant experience.

As far as choking down - I never seemed to be comfortable doing that, until I moved to mid-sized grips. Maybe it was all in my head, but having a thicker grip as I choked down seemed to give me a much higher comfort level.
I put mid size grips into play earlier this year and it's one of the better golfing decisions I made this year. Obviously this shouldn't be an issue for me.

I have found a high lofted driver with a shortened shaft to be more forgiving and longer than a mini driver I use a 12* Cleveland 588 Altitude driver which is a very forgiving and high launching driver shortened to 44"

FWIW I love the choked down driver on tight holes. I do like my 3w very much and hit it great but I can turn it over every once in a while. With that in mind, I'll hit the choked down driver on tighter holes where I need some good distance as it goes straight or fades a little - no worry about going left.

I've played a mini, high lofted driver cut down to like 44"(??), a standard driver cut down 1/2" and now a standard length driver. The latter two have worked best for me. While I liked the mini originally I don't see a reason to play that club unless you can also hit it off the deck, something most of us won't be able to do. I personally also don't like choking down an inch or more - it just feels weird to choke down. The bigger head of the driver gives extra forgiveness, why give that up?

For those of you using a mini, what is the distance that you're looking for? Why not a 3 wood?

For me, my driver (44") and 3 Wood are a pretty good combo. Off the tee there's probably 25 yards (270 / 245) between them so I don't see where a mini would fit for me.

After reading this thread, I just realized I've never choked down on my driver before.

If I encounter a narrow fairway, I usually go down to my 3-iron or 4-iron off the tee.

I'll have to give that a go next time I'm at the range.

I tried the Aeroburner mini-driver and compared the results against my Cobra 3W. The 3W won by a mile. 1) It went the same distance as the Aeroburner. 2) I already owned it.

I tried the Aeroburner mini-driver and compared the results against my Cobra 3W. The 3W won by a mile. 1) It went the same distance as the Aeroburner. 2) I already owned it.

Two very important points. But was the Cobra 3W as accurate as the mini-driver?

I got to try my Callaway Mini this past weekend and think it may be a keeper. It sets up nicely and to me, it feels like a point and shoot weapon. I have the 12-deg and was beeping pace distance-wise with my partners unless they striped their drivers (would be 10-15 yards ahead). I didn't miss the fairway with it.

I have been using a XHot 2 deep 3W which I can hook occasionally. I felt more comfortable with the larger head and was getting a bit more distance from the Mini. But the X2Hot has the Aldila Tour Green while the Mini has Kuro Kage.

Some of the performance is hard to judge given the winter/cold conditions.

I think the Mini is a great club if you're struggling with the driver. I think it is a better alternative than choking down on the driver IMO.

I have a Cleveland Launcher DST 13* 3 Wood. It has an RIP Alpha X stiff shaft in it.

I went to try out some mini drivers. They were about the same aize and length as my 3 wood. After hitting them, it's the same club, (for me at least).

With my 3 wood the distance is 235+. The harder you hit it the higher it goes. I'm not saying it will work for everyone, it just works out good for me.

The 3 wood helps me when I top a drive on a long par 4 or 5.

I can hit it from a good lie in the fairway.

Jack

I cut all my drivers down to 44.5" and not only do I get better accuracy but better length to boot. I'm considering cutting down a Wishon 919 to 43.5" and a couple Wishon fairways to 42" and 41.5" just to see if it can get any better. I've just recently noticed if I choke down on my long and mid irons my accuracy improves with them too. I've got a set of Snake Eyes 695os irons coming that I'm gonna shorten and bend the lie angles to match what I used to play back in the late 80's. Maybe shortening clubs back to sane lengths will help my game?

I cut all my drivers down to 44.5" and not only do I get better accuracy but better length to boot. I'm considering cutting down a Wishon 919 to 43.5" and a couple Wishon fairways to 42" and 41.5" just to see if it can get any better. I've just recently noticed if I choke down on my long and mid irons my accuracy improves with them too. I've got a set of Snake Eyes 695os irons coming that I'm gonna shorten and bend the lie angles to match what I used to play back in the late 80's. Maybe shortening clubs back to sane lengths will help my game?

All of my clubs have been shortened 1" and my Driver is 44" my game is so much more accurate with little or no loss of distance.

Back