The 2015 Grandaddy - Chance Of A Lifetime

Wow, this thread moved fast today, and I love it! Tons of great questions and discussion, and here's my answers:

Grandaddians,
Recently I was asked to discuss something about playing in match play with a partner and the competitive/serious/fun dynamic. I believe that one can have all 3 going at the same time, but others struggle with keeping that same thing. If I had to rank the 3 it would go serious/fun/competitive. If I had to further rank the 3 it would be 40/35/25. Where do you stand with the ratio of those three things and please dont say 33.3 across the board. We know that everybody wants to have a good time and win, but every person is different.

40 Competitive/ 40 Fun / 20 Serious. With that, I'll say fun is subjective. My brothers idea of fun is drinking a ton and doing power slides in a golf cart, but my idea of fun is a little more subdued, but I still like to enjoy the round.

This thread is rock'n the last few days! Lot's can be accomplished still in a few weeks with the golf game so don't put the cruise control on just quite yet! Which brings me to my question to the participants:

If golf was like a relay race, being that one person would hit the tee shot in the 1st leg, another would hit the approach shots into greens and the last would work all the chipping and putting to the hole, which leg would you want to be in as of today. Is it because it's your strength of your game or because of something else?

Right now I'd want the approach leg of that race. My irons are the best part of my game right now, and I think I could contribute the most in that aspect.

I said it on Twitter, but I'll say it here too.

This event literally takes my attention all day, every single day, for almost a year now its been that one thing I can hang my hat on when times are happy/sad/whatever.

I also want to take just a second to say THANK YOU to #TeamRedemption. I have asked you all to do things more differently than they have ever been done for any major event on THP, and you all have, thank you so very much.

Now, I have a question for you Grandaddians, outside of the competition and the fitting, what are you MOST excited about?

For me I think its just the sitting down at night/whenever with everyone and getting to talk about whatever the moment deems the conversation should be about.

Hanging out with the zoo crew and the team in the evenings. Getting to see the people behind the zoo crew is a ton of fun, and I look forward to spending even more time with them.

Current topic of debate at the office - who is more excited for 12/7 to roll around, Team Redemption, or Chris Velardo? [For the record, those respective levels of excitement are all only a teeny tiny fraction higher than the rest of the ZooCrew's levels of excitement. We're all super excited, but Velardo is uber super excited, if there is such a thing.]

I love that Velardo is in it this year and his excitement for it, and look forward to seeing him again.

Dang, this is going to be so much fun!

Haha thanks for the advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish I was kidding. It's like licking the bottom of an ash tray then washing the taste out with spoiled milk

What am I most excited about?

Its the ****ing Grandaddy of em all thats what I am excited about. Look around the landscape of golf and see if something like this exists. I know THP has in some ways spoiled Albatross Club Members with forum testing, contests, events that are incredible and even meeting people behind the scenes at companies. With all of that, it still doesnt take the luster off of the ****ing Grandaddy.

I get excited about a lot of things on THP. I get excited about seeing my friends in the industry at multiple places. I get excited about seeing THPers and watching them play and talk about equipment. But nothing brings my level of excitement like this event does. Go out to any golf course in the world and ask these 5 questions.

Would you like to play golf for a few days at one of the finest facilities in the world?
Would you like to test all of the latest and greatest at the nicest facility in the world?
Would you like to be given a bag full of that equipment by one of the best companies in the world?
Would you like to fly across the country, be taken to great restaurants and stay in a wonderful hotel for this?
And would you like to do it with no cost at all?

**** YEAH I WOULD!

THink about those 5 things for a second. I love you guys to death, but if Callaway told me I had to go play this with 11 homeless dudes I picked up along the way I would say "Sure thing, be right there...Do you mind if they shower first?". When Harry and I first spoke on the phone about this event a number of years ago it was to "create the impossible". The perfect weekend for golfers. Yes Callaway creates brand ambassadors (they hope) out of this and THP gets to host a once in a lifetime event that goes on year after year. Jason Finley has taken the ball and run with it and taken it to new levels. He deserves a big thank you (I think he likes hugs as much as I do).

With all the ******** going on in the world. Bring on the Grandaddy. With all the doom and gloom reporting on golf. Bring on the Grandaddy. With all of the trolling and passive aggressiveness because there is no quiz to get on the internet. Bring on the Grandaddy.

Its the greatest event ever planned for golfers and I work my tail off each and every day to make sure THP is up to snuff to partner with Callaway to host the damn thing. So if you ask me what am I most excited about...

THE ****ING GRANDADDY OF EM ALL is about to take place.

Its a week of a lifetime that I get to spend with people that love and care about the game as much as I do. Its a time when I dont have to be "on" and can be me around people that "get it". Its a dream come true to golfers and years ago when we came up with the idea for a Tour Van and THP Events, if you asked me to plan the perfect event...THIS WOULD BE IT!

Now Grandaddians do me a favor and copy and paste this post I just made somewhere. Now after the dust settles go back and read it and you tell me if it was anything you could have ever imagined. You tell me if it was perfection wrapped in a bow of special and then tucked under a tree made of ****ing greatness.

Its that god damn good!

I will just put this here.

Impact2-L.jpg

Man that's such a great looking club

Apex. So. Much. Yes.

Walking off 13 you are 3 down, what's the game plan? How do you dig out of that hole? Do you take more chances than normal?

Same questions but you are 3 up leaving 13. How do you approach the last 5 holes? Do you play it safe and hope you get past dormie for the win? Or is it foot on neck to get to 4 up with 4 to play?

What would you do?

If I am up 3 after 13, I am not playing 5 more holes. :D

What am I most excited about?

Its the ****ing Grandaddy of em all thats what I am excited about. Look around the landscape of golf and see if something like this exists. I know THP has in some ways spoiled Albatross Club Members with forum testing, contests, events that are incredible and even meeting people behind the scenes at companies. With all of that, it still doesnt take the luster off of the ****ing Grandaddy.

I get excited about a lot of things on THP. I get excited about seeing my friends in the industry at multiple places. I get excited about seeing THPers and watching them play and talk about equipment. But nothing brings my level of excitement like this event does. Go out to any golf course in the world and ask these 5 questions.

Would you like to play golf for a few days at one of the finest facilities in the world?
Would you like to test all of the latest and greatest at the nicest facility in the world?
Would you like to be given a bag full of that equipment by one of the best companies in the world?
Would you like to fly across the country, be taken to great restaurants and stay in a wonderful hotel for this?
And would you like to do it with no cost at all?

**** YEAH I WOULD!

THink about those 5 things for a second. I love you guys to death, but if Callaway told me I had to go play this with 11 homeless dudes I picked up along the way I would say "Sure thing, be right there...Do you mind if they shower first?". When Harry and I first spoke on the phone about this event a number of years ago it was to "create the impossible". The perfect weekend for golfers. Yes Callaway creates brand ambassadors (they hope) out of this and THP gets to host a once in a lifetime event that goes on year after year. Jason Finley has taken the ball and run with it and taken it to new levels. He deserves a big thank you (I think he likes hugs as much as I do).

With all the ******** going on in the world. Bring on the Grandaddy. With all the doom and gloom reporting on golf. Bring on the Grandaddy. With all of the trolling and passive aggressiveness because there is no quiz to get on the internet. Bring on the Grandaddy.

Its the greatest event ever planned for golfers and I work my tail off each and every day to make sure THP is up to snuff to partner with Callaway to host the damn thing. So if you ask me what am I most excited about...

THE ****ING GRANDADDY OF EM ALL is about to take place.

Its a week of a lifetime that I get to spend with people that love and care about the game as much as I do. Its a time when I dont have to be "on" and can be me around people that "get it". Its a dream come true to golfers and years ago when we came up with the idea for a Tour Van and THP Events, if you asked me to plan the perfect event...THIS WOULD BE IT!

Now Grandaddians do me a favor and copy and paste this post I just made somewhere. Now after the dust settles go back and read it and you tell me if it was anything you could have ever imagined. You tell me if it was perfection wrapped in a bow of special and then tucked under a tree made of ****ing greatness.

Its that god damn good!

Preach brother preach! So much epicness

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

The 2015 Grandaddy - Chance Of A Lifetime

Walking off 13 you are 3 down, what's the game plan? How do you dig out of that hole? Do you take more chances than normal?

Same questions but you are 3 up leaving 13. How do you approach the last 5 holes? Do you play it safe and hope you get past dormie for the win? Or is it foot on neck to get to 4 up with 4 to play?

What would you do?

I can only play my game. I can only control what I do. If the chances present myself to take a risk and it feels right, I'll take it. But I HAVE to stick to my own game

I can only play my game. I can only control what I do. If the chances present myself to take a risk and it feels right, I'll take it. But I HAVE to stick to my own game
Bingo. I keep playing my golf, because it's golf, and golf is fun.

Thank you to the THPers who have been bringing questions to #TeamRedemption! We really love it and love answering these questions. It's helping us come together and it's building the excitement! Keep em coming!

Grandaddians,
Recently I was asked to discuss something about playing in match play with a partner and the competitive/serious/fun dynamic. I believe that one can have all 3 going at the same time, but others struggle with keeping that same thing. If I had to rank the 3 it would go serious/fun/competitive. If I had to further rank the 3 it would be 40/35/25. Where do you stand with the ratio of those three things and please dont say 33.3 across the board. We know that everybody wants to have a good time and win, but every person is different.

I would say I am 60/20/20 fun/serious/competitive. Golf is a great way to clear my mind and focus on one thing. It's time away from the real world is fun. I do get competive though and am serious when that comes out!

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

What would you do?
As I have never played a match play round aside from recently playing against Jeff/John. I don't honestly know what I would do. However today I would say I just play my game in both situations. If I am up 3 than obviously my game has worked well enough to get me there so no reason for me to change anything. Down 3 I may take a few more chances is they show themselves. I am not going to take a risk for the sake of taking a risk.

Unfortunately due to team scripting, there's limited possibility of "Hey I dressed myself today!" Ethan, but any of the others are a possibility. Also unfortunately for you, Grandaddy Ethan from last year's match vs. JB and Byron may show up.
A) they should all dress however you decide. A team dressed with all those costumes from that closet at your desk
B) I'm hoping more for the Mongolian Reversal Ethan that I heard about from Pete's match.

What would you do?

If I'm down after 13 the only thing I'm doing is maybe taking more aggressive lines, but I'm continuing to play my game bc I know with one swing I can have momentum back on my side.

If I'm up 3 I'm keeping up what I've been doing to that point bc it's working. I'll pick and chose my spots and play aggressive when I need to and play it safe when I have to.

I use that term loosely for our team, as it may just extend to wearing certain colored shirts on each day, but I could be mistaken. #OutOfTheLoop

#OutOfTheLoopForAReason on apparel

What would you do?

If I'm up 3 I'm going to continue playing my game. I've been there before and usually me getting conservative lets the them right back in.

3 down, almost the same thing. Try not to panic and play my game. Match play anything can happen.

What would you do?

I'm not changing the way I play regardless. I will win or lose with my game, stepping outside of my game just isn't in the cards. I would rather play my game and lose on 18, then press and lose 4&3. Based on an earlier post of yours, center of the green I have a much better chance at a putt than I do a chip as a result of going after a pin and ending up short or long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A) they should all dress however you decide. A team dressed with all those costumes from that closet at your desk
B) I'm hoping more for the Mongolian Reversal Ethan that I heard about from Pete's match.
That Mongolian Reversal works both ways, and I just threw up a little.

Wow - this thread got a little action today!
Love the banter, the #ZooCrew participation, and the Q&A on strategy, attitude, and strengths!
Keep up the prep work!

Back