MCGolfTM

Reaction score
Handicap
Lately I have been falling short on expected distances between 115 and 135 yards. I am playing a TaylorMade M2 Tour PW (not sure on actual loft, bought used) and a Cleveland RTX-3 50* AW. I am about 10 yards short with both these days. Never really use to be at beginning of the year. I'm thinking my lofts need adjustment. I am wondering if they don't follow the gapping correctly with the rest of my set. I went with 50/54/58 wedges, assuming the standard loft of the PW but who knows if that's right. I'm going to a TaylorMade fitting next week and maybe I get get some better numbers from that and see if lift adjustments are in order.

Has anyone dealt with the same issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should be able to look up the loft on your club. Google it and see what you come up with.
I have Nike Vapor sticks; my PW is 45 and AW (GW) is 50.
I also use a 54 and 60.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

You should be able to look up the loft on your club. Google it and see what you come up with.
I have Nike Vapor sticks; my PW is 45 and AW (GW) is 50.
I also use a 54 and 60.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I looked them up but that's assuming they are standard. Haven't gotten them checked yet, but hoping the fitting will give me better insight into the wedge lofts I really need. Only fitting I never had was a wedge fitting.

Very true. That's something I've been meaning to do for a while now. Really more interested in being in front of a tracker, line trackman. Just to see exactly what I am doing, and how I might improve. Plus I'm quite certain I need a stiffer shaft, on my driver and wood! I don't know my exact swing speed, but I can see how much farther/higher I hit the ball, than most people I play with, using the same club. I just need to make the trip and get fitted.

Very true. That's something I've been meaning to do for a while now. Really more interested in being in front of a tracker, line trackman. Just to see exactly what I am doing, and how I might improve. Plus I'm quite certain I need a stiffer shaft, on my driver and wood! I don't know my exact swing speed, but I can see how much farther/higher I hit the ball, than most people I play with, using the same club. I just need to make the trip and get fitted.

Definitely get fitted. It was a huge help for me when I finally went and got it done. Just need a wedge fitting to finish it all off now.

is it just those 2 clubs? is the short issue a new thing for those clubs?

could be lofts need adjusting, could be swing needs adjusting, could be flipping hands at impact adding loft

is it just those 2 clubs? is the short issue a new thing for those clubs?

could be lofts need adjusting, could be swing needs adjusting, could be flipping hands at impact adding loft

Didn't notice it as much as a problem earlier in the year but now it's been worse. Gotta do the fitting and find out why.

Almost sounds like your timing could be off a bit, when it comes to the yardage. Did you take any time off? I know once I got all of my timing down, I was shocked at the distance I was getting with ALL of my clubs! I'd say range, but if you are going for a fitting, even better! I know I need one.

No time off been playing a lot straight through. Only those 2 clubs are hurting me right now. Everything else is right on with yardage

That's crazy man. I'd be looking forward to that swing analysis/fitting, for sure!
I know sometimes, when I come back home after 3 weeks, my timing can be off. An hour or so on the range, and I'm good to go. Your case is strange tho.

I learned about 2 years ago that the loft of the club doesn't always guarantee perceived gapping. After I bought the Srixon Z545 iron set (PW 45* - ordered 1* weak from 5i to PW - which I hit 130), I purchased Cleveland RTX2 50* CB and 54* and 58* blades. Was thinking the CB would give me at least 115 and figured the 54 to be low 100's and 58 to be in the low 90's. I was right about the 54 and 58 but the 50 CB was getting barely more than the 54. Had the loft checked and it was accurate so had it bent to 48 and then was able to get 117 so then my gapping was good.

I learned about 2 years ago that the loft of the club doesn't always guarantee perceived gapping. After I bought the Srixon Z545 iron set (PW 45* - ordered 1* weak from 5i to PW - which I hit 130), I purchased Cleveland RTX2 50* CB and 54* and 58* blades. Was thinking the CB would give me at least 115 and figured the 54 to be low 100's and 58 to be in the low 90's. I was right about the 54 and 58 but the 50 CB was getting barely more than the 54. Had the loft checked and it was accurate so had it bent to 48 and then was able to get 117 so then my gapping was good.

This is what I'm thinking needs to be done.

I have the same irons but with 50/56/60. I am considering bending the 50 to 52 and then picking up the new CBX wedge in 48. They have demo day next week I am going to try to get to.

Back