Unexpected Result with the Orange Whip

Rock26

Reaction score
Handicap
So I was in a PGA Superstore the other day and I picked up an orange whip and swung it a couple of times in an open bay. Then I grabbed a used TM P770 7I (I normally hit more of a game improvement iron) and started to hit a draw, consistently. I am normally very inconsistent if I hit it straight more than once it doesn't have the same ball flight.

To all of your Orange Whip users is there any correlation? I may need just buy one and put it to use.

When I use it regularly my ball flight does start to move more right to left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never used the Orange Whip but years ago I used the Whippy TempoMaster. It did in fact have a similar affect for me. My ballflight at the time had been straight to fade but after a summer with the Whippy TM, it was draw all the way.

Stayed that way for probably a dozen or more years until some equipment changes this year. Epic driver wanted to go right on me, set the adapter to draw to straighten that out. And the CF-16 irons want to fly pretty straight when well struck. A slight draw or fade show with equal frequency.

I'd changed equipment numerous times over the years but the recent changes are the only times ballflight was so drastically affected.

For me, I felt the Whippy clubs to encourage a bit lighter grip and a more natural release through the ball.

It’s pretty much impossible to come over the top with an orange whip. Which means you might be grooving and inside out swing with it and your normal clubs which with a slight closed face draws the ball.

It’s pretty much impossible to come over the top with an orange whip. Which means you might be grooving and inside out swing with it and your normal clubs which with a slight closed face draws the ball.

Nothing is impossible, haha! If there's a way to come over the top i'll find it!

I like the orange whip. I just have to be cognizant when I use it to keep my arms connected and in sync with my body. If I don't my first few swings on a real ball are very armsy with poor results. Overall I like it as a product though and it has replaced a weighted Momentus I would always use to warm up.

Nothing is impossible, haha! If there's a way to come over the top i'll find it!

Well, with the way it is designed for tempo, the weight of it will throw you off balance quite a bit if you come over the top. When you go outside to in with that weighted ball on the end it will make it hard to stay on balance. The key is to not be too far over the top. I think it is controllably if you are trying to hit a slight fade but if you are wildly over the top like can be at times you will never stay on balance.

I do find it helps me work on the inside out path. I still come over the top from time to time with my driver and woods but I don't slice nearly as badly as used to be.

Back