GOLF IS FUN!! So who cares........

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
Who cares if you hit that hero shot! Who cares if you play blades and carry a 15 hdcp! Who cares if you're a feel player or you get more out of forged irons then cast! I mean, golf is suppose to be a game, a time to relax, a time to get away from....whatever.

Why is it that golfer care so much what people think. Do what makes you happy and keep on moving down the road.

I hit a ball into the right trees on Saturday, tried to play a low punch and ended up hooking it into the left rough. Wedged it on the green and 3 putted. I played the hero shot and it got me. At the end of the day, I had a blast on the course and my score was what it was.

I think people take this game and themselves way too seriously. Go out and have fun!!

Have fun playing golf?? What is this heresy you speak???

Exactly.

I think it also depends on a persons competitive nature. Golf is a sport where you compete against yourself and the course, so it can get personal, lol. I have a blast regardless of score, but I come away with a better feeling when I had some great shots.

Don't you tell me what to do...

awful fun.jpg

Yep ... golf is fun. But it's always more fun when you play good. Just sayin :act-up:

But I do understand cause most people take it way to serious & get mad or upset over a game that they probably play maybe once or twice a month. "You're not good enough to be mad at that shot." (paraphrase famous golfer saying)

Amen Freddie. I don't make a living playing golf so I'm not grinding out on the course. Do I want to play well? Yes I do, but I'm having fun first.

If we are supposed to be relaxing? Why are we trying to play the fastest round possible?

I kid.

I agree, I have learned to accept what I am skill level wise, and I'm having a lot more fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100% Agree!!

It's every hobby/sport though. Not just Golf. There is always a way to make even the most joyous pastime a miserable mess if you get too serious about it.

I'm remember this while hacking out of bunkers on Dubsdread Saturday morning/afternoon. I love sand.

Great thread Freddie! Prior to THP, I admit I took it too seriously. Life is too short to stress about games. I agree, have fun playing the game!

Yep ... golf is fun. But it's always more fun when you play good. Just sayin :act-up:

But I do understand cause most people take it way to serious & get mad or upset over a game that they probably play maybe once or twice a month. "You're not good enough to be mad at that shot." (paraphrase famous golfer saying)

Great one-liner

One of my regular playing buddies, when he's hitting it well, will be having a good time, joking around, all loose and jolly.

Now, when he's playing poorly, on the other hand.....not so much.

I am glad he does this to remind me that I need to have fun no matter what.

both of these statements are what i try to remind myself all the time. 1) i'm not good enough to get mad, and 2) i only play 3 or 4 times a month if i'm lucky and this game is too damn hard to play at any respectable level with that little time.

Preach on brother Kong! I have to remind myself of this once in a while, I'll get too caught up in grinding away trying to beat my opponents (who are usually my best buddies) that I forget this. Once I remember and get back to having fun my scores and my game always get better. Strange coincidence!

You're exactly right Freddie. I got home from league last night and my wife asked how I played to which I responded "absolutely terrible". She followed up by asking if I even had fun and the answer was "I absolutely had a great time". If I'm going to chase around a little white ball for 4 hours while walking miles and miles I better be having fun doing it.

I'm remember this while hacking out of bunkers on Dubsdread Saturday morning/afternoon. I love sand.

Don't forget the trees - Dubs has a lot of trees. :alien:

I get a kick out of someone making a comment about a shot of mine like, "Wow, where did that come from" or "that wasn't very like you there", etc. My simple reply:

That's why I'm a amateur player!

I couldn't agree more. My Wednesday evening buddies have it figured out pretty well; no score cards, no scoring, we play for birdies and pars and high fives. I haven't heard a negative comment in the 6 years we've been playing.

You're exactly right Freddie. I got home from league last night and my wife asked how I played to which I responded "absolutely terrible". She followed up by asking if I even had fun and the answer was "I absolutely had a great time". If I'm going to chase around a little white ball for 4 hours while walking miles and miles I better be having fun doing it.

My wife says to me ' you always say golf was great, are you that good?!' I say, 'yes, yes I am :D but I just have fun on the course with the guys.

I'll always grind. I can play 17 poor holes, but I'll work for par or better any way I can get it on 18!

BUT...

I always have fun. I mean, poor golf isn't fun at all but my personal fun is just being out there. My grinding is between the ears as I'm prepping for a shot, otherwise I'm carefree and joking with whoever, however they'd prefer. Some people actually think that I don't care enough because I'm relaxed... they have no idea, LOL.

100% agree that it MUST be fun. Good play, bad play, terrible streak, I'm always into it, always having fun.

GOLF IS FUN!! So who cares........

I played in a FSGA tournament the last couple of days at Sawgrass. On Day 1, I had a pretty tough day on the Stadium course, and was pretty frustrated with myself. Thinking about it at dinner that night, I was even more angry with myself. That was a Bucket List course that I've waited years to play, and I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I should have. I vowed that on Day 2 I'd just relax and enjoy the Dye Valley course (even though I really hate Dye courses). Began the day on Hole 12 and went 2 over for the first six holes, only to have a terrible triple on 18. That normally would have derailed me right there, but, kept it together and began the front nine bogey, par, par, bogey, birdie, par, par. Approaching the 8th tee, I was reminded why I hate Dye courses. Smack in the middle of the fairway at precisely the distance I hit my drives is a huge effing tree. To the left of the fairway, what little there was of one, is a severe slope all the way to the green with alternating huge high mounds and low areas, with lush, deep rough. Undaunted, I hit one of my best drives of the day to the left of that effing tree, and was feeling really good until the moment I realized I had not accounted for the left to right wind, and sure enough, it pushed my Snell MTB gently over and behind the tree. The ball couldn't have been more perfectly placed to be stymied if you had done it by hand. JB has been noted to hit the "rope hook me Jesus" shot now and then, but, here I needed a Michigan Slice Special 90 degreer. Having only about 10 feet between the tree and myself, I advised the playing partners to take cover and hit the only club in the bag I can actually work a little, the 4 metal. Shockingly, I hit the prettiest fade around that tree that any of us could have imagined. Unfortunately, it did not quite make it back to the fairway, landing on the upslope of one of the "moguls" in deep grass about 125 yards short of the green. After finally finding the ball, I hit an 8 iron as hard as I could, but, got a little (lot) grass between the ball and blade, as one should expect, and came to rest on the downslope of the last Mogul about 15 yards short of the green in that same deep, lush grass. Of course, the pin had to be on the front of the green. Not wanting to commit the sin of missing the green, I had no choice but to hit it a bit hard, and long about 35 feet. Now, this wouldn't be a worthwhile story without a happy ending, and, yes I drained that downhill 35 footer (with my trusty Cleveland Huntington Beach #10), turned to my playing partners and said "some pars are better than others!".

Yes, golf can be fun. I went on to finish the front at 2 over, shot the second best score on the Dye Course in my flight for the day, and finished 8th over all in the "Over 65" flight (which cashed) despite that awful Day 1. :angel:

GOLF IS FUN!! So who cares........Now, If I can just remember this the next time out, and I four-putt or something.

Good post Panda. I'm probably guilty of the opposite. I've always enjoyed myself regardless of how good or bad I'm playing. I've never put any real pressure on myself to see just how good at golf I might get, and I'm OK with that, personally. But I also realize it's a cop out too. I COMPLETELY respect those who do put in the the real work and strive to be their best. Part of me wishes I had that motivation too, but ultimately when I'm out there on the course, the real me eventually surfaces, and I prefer to relax and fully enjoy everything about the day instead. That doesn't mean I don't try to save each stroke, or tell myself "I can still make par from here". It's just that I don't beat myself up or mope and drag the rest of the foursome down over a poor shot or round.

It's kind of fun watching someone play who's way too serious and then their game slowly self-destructs in front of you

It's kind of fun watching someone play who's way too serious and then their game slowly self-destructs in front of you

really? as someone who has self-destructed in front of more playing partners than i care to admit, i'm pretty sure none of them enjoyed watching me act like a child.

Back