Wood/Iron Comparison

MCGolfTM

Reaction score
Handicap
Went to an indoor playing simulator today to compare a 4 iron, 2 driving iron, and my 5 wood. The 4i is at 20.5*, the 2 iron is at 16* and the 5 wood is 17*.

Granted it was only a few swings with each club, but the data was same for all the other swings. I only captured 4 each to compare.

What is your guys take on the data? I see tighter spread for the 2 iron over the 5 wood, but not by much. I thought there would be better distance gains for the 2 iron.

36b608605a4fdaf4f6e2303a8d256905.jpg

i would get rid of that 2i. dispersion is good, but distance-wise it gaps too closely. and that 5w doesn't seem to be a good fit either. it only carries 8y farther than your 4i and finishes 12y farther than your 4i. maybe if it launched higher it would go farther and the gapping would be better. it looks like a high launch 3h would be good to slot in after your 4i, then maybe straight to the 3hl depending on its numbers.

Seems like you don't quite have the swing speed to game that 2 iron. Might be shaft or something who knows. Not a bad thing as most including me don't. Looks like the one bad 5 wood is skewing the distance so you could probably go 4 iron then 5 wood just fine. Looks like you have very consistent contact and ball flight with the 4 iron so that probably works for you. Consider going from 4 iron to hybrid that suits you or just keep the 4 iron to 5 wood. Seems like you get along with a club the length of an iron that is why might want to try a 3/2 hybrid over 5 wood.

The 2 iron would be out of the bag for me based on those. The carry number is just no bueno. Really no benefit to it over the 4 iron.

i would get rid of that 2i. dispersion is good, but distance-wise it gaps too closely. and that 5w doesn't seem to be a good fit either. it only carries 8y farther than your 4i and finishes 12y farther than your 4i. maybe if it launched higher it would go farther and the gapping would be better. it looks like a high launch 3h would be good to slot in after your 4i, then maybe straight to the 3hl depending on its numbers.

I can also change the loft of the 5 wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can also change the loft of the 5 wood.

17 seems more like a 4 wood to me. But with your 4 iron distance, maybe that is where is needs to be for gapping.

17 seems more like a 4 wood to me. But with your 4 iron distance, maybe that is where is needs to be for gapping.

I have 3HL 16.5* that gets me 240 on average. Don't have it in the photo tho.

Seems like you don't quite have the swing speed to game that 2 iron. Might be shaft or something who knows. Not a bad thing as most including me don't. Looks like the one bad 5 wood is skewing the distance so you could probably go 4 iron then 5 wood just fine. Looks like you have very consistent contact and ball flight with the 4 iron so that probably works for you. Consider going from 4 iron to hybrid that suits you or just keep the 4 iron to 5 wood. Seems like you get along with a club the length of an iron that is why might want to try a 3/2 hybrid over 5 wood.

Sorry I misspoke. The 5W is currently at 19* and is getting the data as shown in the photo above. It's not 17, it's 19.

Back