Food Plan at Disney

We used to do it when our kids were younger but now that they are teenagers we get a room with a kitchenette and dine out a a variety of Disney and non-Disney restaurants.

Can I say that eating in your hotel room on vacation is completely insane to me? You are on vacation and you are wasting time in your hotel room cooking?

Can I say that eating in your hotel room on vacation is completely insane to me? You are on vacation and you are wasting time in your hotel room cooking?

Depends on your situation, I know for us, it will make a lot of sense to be able to do that with one (or more by then) little ones who may not always be in the proper temperament to eat out in public all the time.

Everyone has different situations.

Depends on your situation, I know for us, it will make a lot of sense to be able to do that with one (or more by then) little ones who may not always be in the proper temperament to eat out in public all the time.

Everyone has different situations.

Valid situation.

I did it with my parents a few years back and it was awesome. We did the plan with 1 quick service, 1 table service and 1 snack a day. The only bummer was that we used 2 table meal credits for Artist Point at Wilderness Lodge and it was our worst meal of the trip.

You are planning on going in the fall, which is typically when Disney offers the free dining plan with vacation packages. Seems like a no-brainer to me. I've never been disappointed with the food or selection in the 4 times I've been there, and I've had everything from pizza to filet mignon. We always choose the plan with 1 sit down, 1 quick service, and 1 snack. It's great for sitting down for dinner and grabbing breakfast at the quick service place at the hotel. I would skip lunch because I was full from breakfast or use a snack.

When we went there three years ago for over Thanksgiving, the meal plan was great. There are a lot of different plans so you pick and choose what's going to work for you and your budget. The one we used had three two full meals per day plus a snack. And the snack really is a snack, I think it's either a drink or a small snacky type item. It may have included a snack and a small drink. You wouldn't want to rely on it as a meal. Then one meal was for the typical burger, fish, pizza type places, and then there was a meal where you did a full service sit down and order your meal. There were no restrictions as to where you could go or when you had to eat a specific meal. So if we wanted to do the nicer sit down meal for lunch, we could. Most times, as far as I can recall, we ate a small breakfast at the hotel (we stayed at one of the Disney resort locations), then used the "snack" to hold us over to lunch. Usually did the quick type meal for lunch and the sit down nice meal for dinner. It worked out great for us and I would definitely do it that way again if we ever go again.

This looks like the plan we used.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/media/wdw_nextgen/CoreCatalog/WaltDisneyWorld/en_us/PDF/2015Dining.pdf

Last edited:
We did the meal plan 2 years ago when we stayed at The Boardwalk. We got the snack/lunch/sit-down meal plan, it's the one just below the top tier one. Really happy with it, the lunches were great, the snacks were more than snacks (got ice-cream sundaes, Starbucks, etc) and the dinners were pretty good. We had to combine (or you can pay extra) to get a character meal.
We booked thru Disney in July for a Thanksgiving trip and got an email in September that gave us a discountwhich gave us the meals for free.

www.disboards.com Restaurants board. It's the THP of Disney fans.

The plan used to be great but they've whittled it down over the years.

And free dining is often a trap because you get no room discounts and often pay more total because of it.

www.disboards.com Restaurants board. It's the THP of Disney fans.

The plan used to be great but they've whittled it down over the years.

And free dining is often a trap because you get no room discounts and often pay more total because of it.

Free dining is generally a deal with 3 or more kids. Otherwise a discounted room rate is a better deal.

Back