I refuse to golf when . . .

After hurting my back in June (10 weeks, haven't played since ), I may have to rule out even light rain. Mental or not.

No idea if I jinxed myself but it rained hard on #6, we found modest tree cover to wait it out.

In rainy weather, my achilles (prior rupture repair surgery 19 yrs ago) acts up. Just enough to let me know. At the exact time when acknowledging it, the thought popped into my head, wondering if the weather would be a negative for my balky back.

Then without warning on #14, the disc went pop. So for me, when I finally return, I think I'll opt for mostly clear and somewhat warm days.

Father Time is a vicious dude.

I will play in a combo of any two of the below 3 conditions:
Wind
Cold
Rain

All three is where I draw the line.

Heavy rain. I will play down to about 18 deg F and as hot as 105+. I hate being wet and if can't grip my club then I don't play.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There aren't really any conditions or circumstances that keep me from playing. There are some that I really dislike, but aren't deal breakers.

I hate playing on the weekends, but will because it's the only time I get to play with friends.

I hate playing in heat/cold/rain/wind, but will if I've already paid.

I hate paying more than $40, but will if others choose the course.

The only thing that has absolutely kept me from playing is an injury that requires a cast on my arm. Even then I did a little chipping in my brother in law's back yard yesterday (and so think the cast is a benefit...much better than usual).

The weekend......I refuse to play on weekends, just too much of a cluster !!!!

I will play in a combo of any two of the below 3 conditions:
Wind
Cold
Rain

All three is where I draw the line.

My preference is the same as you too. i.e a combo of any two. Unfortunately winters in the Pacific Northwest is basically all 3 of them. I still try to golf once a week but its honestly not much fun .. lol.

Under 40 degrees
Crazy wind(I live in KS. It can literally get almost unplayable at times, lol)
Downpour

That's really about it

Sent from my SM-N920R7 using Tapatalk

Downpour or lightening in the vicinity.

Other than that, I'll play in pretty much any other weather ... oh except for extreme high heat that makes me dehydrated and nearly dead. Yeah I won't play in that anymore either.

Lightning or below 36 deg. I won't start in the rain but will finish in the rain.

When it's under 40* and windy OR over 100*....outside of that, game on.

I refuse to golf when ... my wife gives me a better alternative :bananadance:

1. Lightning
2. More than 2 inches of snow on the fairway
3. Complete downpour
4. Under 30 degrees
5. Wind over 40 mph

I've played in all of these in the past....but no more.

Are there certain times, or conditions you refuse to golf?

This year I have become a selective golfer and have discovered I no longer enjoy playing the game under the following conditions.
1. If the course is too soggy I wont play
2. If the temperature is 90 degrees with high humidity, I won't golf but wait for another day
3. If the temperature isn't 50 degrees or higher I won't golf
4. If the winds are above 25 mph I will wait for a better day
5. I also won't play on weekends or holidays
6. If the fairways are overdue for a manicure then I'll find a course where the FW's are in better condition

Just not the die-hard golfer I once was

How about you?

I've played in everyone of these conditions. When I get the golf itch, I have to scratch it no matter what it looks like outside. EDIT: I don't play in lightning. Terrified of getting hit.

When it's under 55* or sick.

Lightning or the course is closed is just about it for me, and you can almost always wait out the lightning. Now, to be fair, if it's 34 degrees, windy and pouring rain, I might not be rushing to the course. But if someone were to call me and say let's give it a shot, I'd probably be game.

Pouring rain
Over 105*
Below freezing (just above freezing is fine).

When it's under 55* or sick.

Living the good life in Florida, it used to be the same for me in San Diego. Would lose 2 months of golfing in Ohio if I stuck to that now.

1. Thunderstorms
2. Wind greater than 20mph
3. Hard Rain
4. Temp below 40 degrees

Otherwise, GAME ON!!!!!!!!!

Under 45 degrees, if it's pouring before I tee off or snowing

Fog didn't stop these guys today!

c9bb8fbab02bd699b1a529da949a32cd.jpg

View from the 1st tee

e681e0c260c31631531d3a7de022b5a2.jpg

145 yard par 3 from tee box

e3ad054c0f175bf52def23e381ccbea6.jpg

I've never turned down golf for weather. I'll play in pretty much anything. The only way I would refuse to play would be if I was teeing off behind a tournament. I'd go elsewhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Living the good life in Florida, it used to be the same for me in San Diego. Would lose 2 months of golfing in Ohio if I stuck to that now.

If I lived in a cold weather state, I'd enjoy the time off.

I refuse to golf when ... my wife gives me a better alternative :bananadance:

I've been married too long. There are better alternatives, but I don't remember what they are. I was commenting to a friend the other day that was dreaming of winning the big lottery that he had slightly better odds there than I did that night of receiving an invite. No matter, I can always invite myself! Lol

To the main topic, I've played in pretty much anything short of an active blizzard or a hurricane. I've enjoyed pretty much any time on the course, sometimes it takes being truly miserable to be truly happy, if that makes sense. Where I get frustrated and would rather not play, if I can't grip the clubs correctly. I know a good pair of all weather gloves would be the answer, but I prefer the minimalist approach sometimes (ie I don't plan well).

I love all the situations you guys hate, because it usually means the course is empty and it plays quick

This used to be me ... 15 years ago. These days, though, I'm definitely a fair weather golfer. I don't care for below 60° or above 90°, strong winds, or any rain beyond a light, short sprinkle. I just don't want to be uncomfortable when I play anymore.

Back