Recap & Review - 2015 THP Legacy

Great recaps so far. I'm hoping someone ventures into the video recap at some point.
I tried twice but my mac wasn't having it.

How is this the first time that we've heard about the hot dog incident??

Great, great, great, wonderful, spectacular recaps from everyone so far. Love the pics and the videos and descriptions. It makes me happy for everyone who was there and makes me want to get into the next event even more!
Hot dogs... Ugh....

Alright guys, I've found some time and an old commodore 64 hotel computer I can use so here goes.

My wife and I arrived late on Wednesday night after a LONG day of travel (3am - 11pm) and we were bushed. Tom (shakey) was already at our Villa and he was kind enough to help us find it after getting a little confused when the address didn't line up with our Villa #. We headed up to meet and greet the guys that were there and hang out for an hour or so and quite honestly I can't remember anything that took place that night or the next morning. All I remember is that everyone who was present was super welcoming and friendly to both myself and to my wife Connie. Naturally she had some reservations about flying across the continent to meet a bunch of golf nerds I met on the internet, but those were quickly put to rest...I think. It was awesome to meet most of Team Heritage (My Boys!!!) and a few guys from Team Tradition face to face and finally put faces to the screen names. To finally meet my Captain #441 after months of correspondence was pretty cool and the guy just oozes 'chill'.

Thursday AM came WAY TOO QUICK and I was still in some sort of weird daze/adrenaline rush combo. I was so damn tired yet so eager to play a practice round at True Blue for the first time. We hit up True Blue for some breakfast and then hit the range quick before starting our round. I remember hitting the first of many solid drives on #1 and then I honestly don't remember a thing about that Practice round, except that it was probably my worst score of 2015, it was that bad. After the realization had set in that somehow my F-game had made it's way to Myrtle Beach after all those months of hard practice and preparation I started to become mentally fractured and weak. Most of the round was just a comedy of errors and unplayable lies but I managed to get my crap together and par both 17 and 18 to get some good confidence going.
My Captain and my teammates could see and sense what was going on and they somehow snapped me out of it with positive thoughts and mojo. We will write off the AM round to Jet Lag and whatever other excuse my brain needed to hear.

Thursday PM and we were off to Caledonia. CJgolf and I were to play this round alternate shot against the dreaded greggdrews/Rambler combo. This match was super tight and contested and went back and forth all the way to #18 where another damn near unplayable lie put the nail in our coffin and Greg rolled in the winning putt. Even in a practice round against my own team I hate to lose and it hurt a little to watch that match slip away at the end. They probably would have beat us by more if Rambler wasn't puking his guts out all over Caledonia due to some foul wiener he found at True Blue.

Friday morning was finally here. 16 guys were about to have their minds blown and their dreams realized. Breakfast that morning was pretty awesome and for those few hours most of us forgot that there were 2 teams here. We headed out to the range at the appointed time and it's hard to put into words what goes through your mind. We've known for months that we were getting a 14 club deal from our amazing sponsors, but to actually see the bags/hats/backpacks and clubs on the range waiting for you really hits like a ton of bricks emotionally. Why me? Why should I of all people get this Tour Level treatment? THP is the answer. Bringing the unbelievable to life for a fortunate few once again.
It didn't take long to get over that emotionally mumbo jumbo and start ripping plastic off and head to the range. I think my first swing was with a 9 iron and it was just pured. I proclaimed my love right then and there to those who were close enough to hear.
As the range session went on I moved into the woods and hybrid and I honestly didn't know what to expect. Whatever fears and hesitation I had were put to rest after a handful of swings. Long, high, straight with a little fade on misses. LOVE! I remember running over to Duffy and muttering something about awesome clubs, he probably thought I was a pinhead haha. I got on the Flightscope with my new baby, the D200 driver with Duffy's careful eye monitoring the shots. A small audience had gathered around because everyone wanted to see the moron from Canada hit a 13 degree head with a 6 degree launch angle. Duffy quickly jumped the loft up to 14 degrees and just like that I was getting a flight that I've honestly never seen before. High and penetrating with a 1-way miss. YES!!!
We took off to play our practice round and I hit the ball well but scored like crap again. Airmailed a few greens and hit a few balls into deep lumber for some big numbers. Oh well, I knew I had good golf in me the way I was striking the ball and just had to flat out execute the next day.

Friday Night dinner. Some light banter, discussion of play, some meet and greet between teams and raving about equipment was going on, but the only thing on anyone's mind was MATCHUPS. ArmyGolf/McRock vs T2GRN/Jhoeffer (Fourball)
ArmyGolf/CJgolf vs T2GRN/Golf4life (Alternate Shot)

More to come...

She was a very sturdy and true boat. Perfect for carrying precious cargo.

~Rock

Saturday AM. Army/McRock vs. T2GRN/Jhoeffer

I was thrilled to have Dan as my partner because this guy is fun and can flat out play GREAT golf. He was on fire all weekend throwing up or beating personal bests and his swing was looking great while doing it. On #1 At True Blue the golf gods were on our side when Kevin threw a dart right over the flagstick...that hit a sprinkler head and flew into the woods with a mighty bounce. 1 UP, we'll take it. Over the rest of the front 9 Rock and I scooted out to a 4 up lead thanks to his solid play and some good timing on my part. I had an 18" putt to go 5 up on #10 and pretty much seal the deal and you guessed it...lip out. DAMN! Oh well, we're still way up....no problem. Little did we know we were about to come face to face with a couple animals who weren't going down without a fight. Rock and I figured we would just hit GIR and make pars and there's no way we can lose. Oops.
On hole #12 I hit a great recovery from the waste area to 12 feet while Kevin was up on the other tier with a 20 footer...which he drained for birdie. Wow. 3UP.
On hole #13 Rock and I both went FIR GIR to about 8 feet each for birdie. We both missed the putts to push the hole. Crap.
On hole #14 Jed, Rock, and myself all had about 20 feet for birdie. Rock and I missed, and Jed drains this 20 foot downhill slider to win the hole. 2 UP.
On hole #15 We were all on or around the green in 3. I thinned a chip to take me out of it, and they managed to get us with a net birdie. 1UP. IS THIS HAPPENING?!?!
On hole #16. Rock and I miss the green and head to the drop zone. They are both dancing but have LONG putts remaining. They get in for bogey so all we have to do is 2-putt from the friendly drop area...we both 3 putt. All Square. At this point we can't believe what is happening.
On #17 both Rock and I get our heads out of our asses and go FIR GIR. Rock makes a net birdie to win the hole.
On #18 I hit my drive right into range ball heaven and pretty much take myself out of the hole. Kevin is right with a nasty lie. Jhoeffer throws his approach to 3 feet. Rock goes to about 12 feet but he pops on the hole. He 2 putts for another net birdie to seal us the victory making Jhoeffers birdie putt meaningless...but he stepped up and drained it anyway to cap off the best 9 of his life at 1 over par.

What a freaking match!!!!!

Threw my photos in a slideshow I may find more somewhere and post them up but these are what I have for now.

I love the pic of all of us jammed in the truck!! So many good memories.

Wish I could have seen #18 but I bounced after #16, didnt want to jinx it

Saturday PM. Alternate Shot at Caledonia. ArmyGolf/CJgolf vs T2GRN/Golf4life

The challenge was thrown. Captain #441 knew they were going to start off with their lower caps and he wanted CJ and I to take them down. After our practice round 2 days earlier CJ and I had developed some wicked good chemistry and we were feeling good. Our games work together, our mentalities work together, and we see the course the same way. We knew going up against the legendary Kevin and the hard-hitting Brett was going to take everything we had but we were confident and ready to rumble. We were to get 4 strokes on the match, but I don't think we were the favorites in anyone's mind. Fuel to the fire.

The first 6 holes were a dogfight. The lead changed after every single hole with no pushes but both teams were still looking for their footing in the match and hadn't hit their stride yet. After hole 7 I think we were 1 Down, but I could be wrong on that.
Hole 8 was where it all changed. CJ and I were actually getting pretty PO'd at ourselves for missed opportunities, playing safe at the wrong times, and lack of execution. We put our fists together and resolved that it was effing GO-TIME. I swung with some anger on the par 5 and put us out in the center fairway with a great look at the green and then the stage was all CJ's. The best shot I witnessed all weekend was CJ hitting his new Bridgestone 4 Hybrid over the water to about 6' for eagle, and now we were feeling it. All Square.
We took #9 when CJ drained a 5 footer for par. 1 UP.
We took #10 after a textbook hole and some help from our opponents. 2 UP.
We took #11 after a PERFECT shot by CJ to a back pin location. 3 UP.
Hole #12 Kevin and Brett played a perfect hole capped off by a Kevin pitch to about 6" from off the green. 2 UP.
Hole #13 was a dogs breakfast by both teams, but Kevin and Brett pulled it out after I failed to convert a 30 footer. 1 UP. JB makes a comment that this should be a familiar spot for me, giving up a big lead to Kevin again. That woke me up.
Hole #14. Kevin steps up and hits his majestic soaring 2 iron to perfect position. I step up and hammer my D200 right over the tree leaving a CJ a 46 yard pitch to the green. We take the hole. 2 UP.
Hole #15. We played it like a par 5 after having no angle after the tee ball. Routine bogey net par wins us the hole. 3 UP with 3 to play.
Hole #16. It's a tight tee shot but I was feeling super confident in my driver at this point. Unloaded a ball down the fairway leaving CJ with a good angle which he capitalized on. Nailing the tough GIR. We popped on this hole so that was enough to seal the deal and win us the match 4&2.

This match was a ton of fun and I couldn't be more proud of how CJ played and how composed he was. Truly a brother to me, and a deadly ass golfer...what a partner! We could have thrown in the towel so many times on the front 9 but we hung tough and executed on the back.

Great stuff Army, having played Caledonia before it was cool picturing this all hole by hole.

Great stuff, there. Recaps are one of my favorite things to read from a THP event. Love how you guys rallied and found a way to win.

Damn Ron...that made me tear up buddy. Looking at the video it seems like such a short walk but it felt like we were walking a mile up that fairway, and I mean that in a good way. Such a wonderful memory that I will never ever forget.

That was awesome. A memory for a lifetime.

Love love love this thread.

Want to write a quick something about the two captains.

When we decided to do this event I was on a search to find two captains that believe in THP to make the trek to Myrtle Beach to watch a bunch of guys play golf, and start the work 6 months ahead of time. Then I wanted to also make sure that they had very different personalities. My search started and stopped with these two gentlemen. Both Ricky and Mike were offered the positions and both accepted and we were on our way. Throughout the process, we will have ups and downs internally, but none of that mattered because in the end, these were two people that had the two character traits we were looking for. Reliability and integrity.

They handled a lot of the burden, they did so without a fuss and did it on their own time. They both wanted to win, but knew it was also about the event, about THP and most importantly about the participants involved. We wanted to spoil them rotten for agreeing to take on the opportunity and did some nice things, but it was never about that. It was always about the event for them and the THPers.

Mike - You have traveled the country with me both for THP Events, Event planning and industry stuff. Lives change, time available changes and yet you always made sure your team was able to get you. You went down and handled your business and are now in the THP Hall of Fame for the 3rd time. For all of the SWAG jokes, you never once made it about you and both you and Ricky knew going in there was little there. We hope you enjoy the gifts however, it was the least we could do.

Ricky - The jokes of rants and stuff become a thing of legend, but the people that got to meet the real Ricky Devrickus (name in my phone) got to see a guy that wears his heart on his sleeve and cares so much for those around him. You took the time to really get to know everybody and embrace this event for everything it was and offered...But did so for everybody else. You put your stamp on the people here and most importantly put your stamp on the event and the Legacy of THP as a whole.

And the two of you will always have the memories....And in the immortal words of two wrestlers I have no idea what their names are...

I GOT TWO WORDS FOR YA....

Spoiler
DICK PIC

Want to write a quick something about the two captains.

When we decided to do this event I was on a search to find two captains that believe in THP to make the trek to Myrtle Beach to watch a bunch of guys play golf, and start the work 6 months ahead of time. Then I wanted to also make sure that they had very different personalities. My search started and stopped with these two gentlemen. Both Ricky and Mike were offered the positions and both accepted and we were on our way. Throughout the process, we will have ups and downs internally, but none of that mattered because in the end, these were two people that had the two character traits we were looking for. Reliability and integrity.

They handled a lot of the burden, they did so without a fuss and did it on their own time. They both wanted to win, but knew it was also about the event, about THP and most importantly about the participants involved. We wanted to spoil them rotten for agreeing to take on the opportunity and did some nice things, but it was never about that. It was always about the event for them and the THPers.

Mike - You have traveled the country with me both for THP Events, Event planning and industry stuff. Lives change, time available changes and yet you always made sure your team was able to get you. You went down and handled your business and are now in the THP Hall of Fame for the 3rd time. For all of the SWAG jokes, you never once made it about you and both you and Ricky knew going in there was little there. We hope you enjoy the gifts however, it was the least we could do.

Ricky - The jokes of rants and stuff become a thing of legend, but the people that got to meet the real Ricky Devrickus (name in my phone) got to see a guy that wears his heart on his sleeve and cares so much for those around him. You took the time to really get to know everybody and embrace this event for everything it was and offered...But did so for everybody else. You put your stamp on the people here and most importantly put your stamp on the event and the Legacy of THP as a whole.

And the two of you will always have the memories....And in the immortal words of two wrestlers I have no idea what their names are...

I GOT TWO WORDS FOR YA....

Spoiler
DICK PIC

Damn it!!!! I knew I shouldnt have clicked the spoiler. I know somewhere a bearded Canadian guy is laughing his butt off. Haha

Thank you for the kind words....oh and best spoiler EVER

Lol, it sounds like you guys had a great time. It was so much fun following along with this event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saturday AM. Army/McRock vs. T2GRN/Jhoeffer

I was thrilled to have Dan as my partner because this guy is fun and can flat out play GREAT golf. He was on fire all weekend throwing up or beating personal bests and his swing was looking great while doing it. On #1 At True Blue the golf gods were on our side when Kevin threw a dart right over the flagstick...that hit a sprinkler head and flew into the woods with a mighty bounce. 1 UP, we'll take it. Over the rest of the front 9 Rock and I scooted out to a 4 up lead thanks to his solid play and some good timing on my part. I had an 18" putt to go 5 up on #10 and pretty much seal the deal and you guessed it...lip out. DAMN! Oh well, we're still way up....no problem. Little did we know we were about to come face to face with a couple animals who weren't going down without a fight. Rock and I figured we would just hit GIR and make pars and there's no way we can lose. Oops.
On hole #12 I hit a great recovery from the waste area to 12 feet while Kevin was up on the other tier with a 20 footer...which he drained for birdie. Wow. 3UP.
On hole #13 Rock and I both went FIR GIR to about 8 feet each for birdie. We both missed the putts to push the hole. Crap.
On hole #14 Jed, Rock, and myself all had about 20 feet for birdie. Rock and I missed, and Jed drains this 20 foot downhill slider to win the hole. 2 UP.
On hole #15 We were all on or around the green in 3. I thinned a chip to take me out of it, and they managed to get us with a net birdie. 1UP. IS THIS HAPPENING?!?!
On hole #16. Rock and I miss the green and head to the drop zone. They are both dancing but have LONG putts remaining. They get in for bogey so all we have to do is 2-putt from the friendly drop area...we both 3 putt. All Square. At this point we can't believe what is happening.
On #17 both Rock and I get our heads out of our asses and go FIR GIR. Rock makes a net birdie to win the hole.
On #18 I hit my drive right into range ball heaven and pretty much take myself out of the hole. Kevin is right with a nasty lie. Jhoeffer throws his approach to 3 feet. Rock goes to about 12 feet but he pops on the hole. He 2 putts for another net birdie to seal us the victory making Jhoeffers birdie putt meaningless...but he stepped up and drained it anyway to cap off the best 9 of his life at 1 over par.

What a freaking match!!!!!

Awesome stuff right there. Well done!

Random recap thought.

Many of us have probably played in one tournament or another. Perhaps some play in several a year. I play in my City Tournament every year, won twice. I usually start prepping for it a couple of weeks in advance.

Then there was the Legacy. Prepping started a couple weeks before I even got picked. I was golfing as early as the beginning of March. Several month of prep for one tournament. You only get one chance. You are standing on 17 all square, with 4 feet to win the hole.....the nerves are definitely real.

~Rock

Random recap thought.

Many of us have probably played in one tournament or another. Perhaps some play in several a year. I play in my City Tournament every year, won twice. I usually start prepping for it a couple of weeks in advance.

Then there was the Legacy. Prepping started a couple weeks before I even got picked. I was golfing as early as the beginning of March. Several month of prep for one tournament. You only get one chance. You are standing on 17 all square, with 4 feet to win the hole.....the nerves are definitely real.

~Rock
The nerves are so real the first four holes or so of each round are brutal. Then standing over the Putt you know will decide the match just takes it to another level

Posted just for Dev using Tapatalk

Random recap thought.

~Rock

it's funny...i don't think i'll ever be nervous in one of my men's association tournaments again. I'm actually playing in a 9 hole one tonight, and really interested to see how i feel on that teebox.

The nerves are so real the first four holes or so of each round are brutal. Then standing over the Putt you know will decide the match just takes it to another level

Posted just for Dev using Tapatalk

To me, there were nerves every now and then, but mostly on Sunday for the first few holes. Honestly, some of the nerve stuff is awesome. I can't tell you how liberating it was to stand over 6 foot putts knowing that you had to make them or lose the hole. No worrying about blowing it by. No worrying about subtle breaks, because you can blast it right through them. All day Sunday I was saying to myself "Don't worry about the result, worry about the line and hit it" and had one of my better days ever when it came to short and medium putts. I don't think I could have found that confidence anywhere else, and now I have no fear when it comes to those putts.

I was more nervous watching Cace line up that putt to halve our match than any shot I hit all week, though.

I love reading these recaps. I have had the pleasure of playing with a few on the legacy guys, and following the live thread I now feel like I have played with the other guys as well.
All the members were awesome on the coverage. I could not think of 2 better guys to captain this event that the 2 we had this year.
Was really fun to follow along and cheer from the computer for all the guys

Captains:
DevRickus: Thank you brother! It was a hell of raise together. We didn't get you that HOF tag, but I know what you left Myrtle beach with will pay dividends in life. You and I have become very close over past couple of years. And that will continue. You live life full of passion and commitment to family, friends and yourself and good things will happen. Love you buddy

MikeDean441: Congrats buddy! The amount of time you've given all of us here is a testament to just how good of a dude you are. That sacrifice is greatly appreciated by all of us. And I say without hesitation I couldn't do it. Thanks for making this weekend a blast for my family and I. The real MD441 is awesome! I look forward to future events with you.

Thanks for the words kevin. I'm glad we got to hang out quite a bit and enjoyed the interactions with your family. You wear your heart on your sleeve and I have nothing but the utmost respect for how you handled things during your journey and down in MB

Back