I refuse to golf when . . .

luvagoodshot

Reaction score
Handicap
Yes
Are there certain times, or conditions you refuse to golf?

This year I have become a selective golfer and have discovered I no longer enjoy playing the game under the following conditions.
1. If the course is too soggy I wont play
2. If the temperature is 90 degrees with high humidity, I won't golf but wait for another day
3. If the temperature isn't 50 degrees or higher I won't golf
4. If the winds are above 25 mph I will wait for a better day
5. I also won't play on weekends or holidays
6. If the fairways are overdue for a manicure then I'll find a course where the FW's are in better condition

Just not the die-hard golfer I once was

How about you?

Downpouring
Under 38*

That's about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The course is closed and the gates are locked. I refuse to walk 18 above 80 or 85 though. Played many rounds in 34 degree weather. Soggy, just makes it easier to hit the fairway. Raining, those new faangled rain gloves are awesome. 30 mph+ winds, I will usually go out of my way to play, so fun and interesting.

Real hard down pours or dangerous weather are about the only things I won't play in. I've had fun on the course when it's well below freezing, 105F+, super windy, sleeting, snowing, you name it. I played a round with a THP buddy a couple years ago where we were in a perpetual mist cloud that was blowing sideways and droplets froze to anything metal on contact. He drove quite a ways to join me that day and since he was game I wasn't going to wimp out. (and we had a BLAST, until we had to scrape ice off our cars to leave)

Are there certain times, or conditions you refuse to golf?

This year I have become a selective golfer and have discovered I no longer enjoy playing the game under the following conditions.
1. If the course is too soggy I wont play
2. If the temperature is 90 degrees with high humidity, I won't golf but wait for another day
3. If the temperature isn't 50 degrees or higher I won't golf
4. If the winds are above 25 mph I will wait for a better day
5. I also won't play on weekends or holidays
6. If the fairways are overdue for a manicure then I'll find a course where the FW's are in better condition

Just not the die-hard golfer I once was

How about you?

So can we change your name to "likeagoodshot"?

The only one of those conditions I can agree with is a windy day. Just no fun. For the rest...

1. Unless we're talking flooded conditions, I don't mind soggy.
2. Played in 115 degrees this summer, albeit with low humidity. I've played in 90+ with high humidity a few times. Not great, but I would still do it.
3. I golf year round in Vegas. In the winter I'm usually golfing in sub-50 degree temps. I won't golf in freezing temps though - it sucks to hit the frozen solid ground with a metal club!
4. Agreed.
5. Practically the only time I golf is on the weekends or holidays.
6. I'd golf on 3 inch fairways!

There is lightning, there is a downpour and it is too cold to wear shorts. I have worn shorts playing in high 30's weather and long as it is sunny.

O'Carroll shows up with no shirt on.

Temps 50 or lower/99 or higher....

40 degrees or below
soggy conditions w/cart path only - arthritic knees and back.
courses are too expensive in relation to their condition

1- Under 55 degree's
2- Under 60 if high winds
3- Aerated greens
4- Raining

Aerated greens are a no go and if it's a complete downpour.

Snow, heavy rain.

Two situations...
1.) Under 50 degrees and raining.
2.) When I walk up to the starter for an 8:00 AM tee time and s/he states, we're running about 30 minutes behind (and not because of frost)....

steady rain that isn't going to let up

temps under 50

i don't have enough time to play 18 without being rushed

I don't refuse to play golf any time. Wind/Rain/Snow I will go and attempt.

Will I leave without completing my round? Yes. Mainly from being so completely uncomfortable or unprepared for the conditions.

We played last winter in the snow.
This summer we walked in 104°.
I won't play if:
1) Heavy rain.
2) strong winds
3) lightning
4) A group of 9 on the #1 Tee box.

Too much snow on the ground, raining too hard. Temps don't bother me if it is warm enough to not ruin the greens it is warm enough for me.

When the course is closed. We almost played a closed course early this spring until my brother reminded me that there is nothing worse than telling a cop or a judge your right.

Too freaking hot: 100 degrees. 98 degrees..what time do we tee off?

1-Aerated greens, yeah I'm driving to the next place, but this time of the year I call around.
2-50/55 degrees is really pushing it, I like it hot, 100 degrees no wind is my cup of tea.
3-Anything over 15 mph wind and I'm probably just going to hit the chipping and putting green.

Those would be my top 3. I can put up with a lot of other crap. I pretty much have 5 solid good months of weather for golf.

I'm a fair weather golfer unless it's a special event.

Driving rain, lightning, 30+ mph winds, or temps below 45.

I wouldn't golf if there's a heavy downpour or very strong wind conditions

I'll play in most conditions, I try to avoid playing on the weekends, basically price gouging. I work shift work so I take full advantage of weekday play at a discounted rate with an empty golf course.

I love all the situations you guys hate, because it usually means the course is empty and it plays quick

Back