So I'm new to golf and want the Ping G hybrids

fluffyballs

Reaction score
Handicap
So I'm super new to golf, having been playing at the ranges and putting greens for only a few months. I have these:

Ping G driver, 10.5 loft

Mizuno JPX EZ 4i-9i, pw, gw, sw

Ping Anser putter

So because my swing isn't well-developed yet, I don't yet know the exact yardages I'll eventually be able to hit the driver and the 4i. I have money that I could use for wood/hybrid purchases to bridge the gap for me to grow into, but I'll have to pick these by 10/15. Also, I don't want to get a wood, and would rather just carry two hybrids. Because I like my driver a lot, I want to keep it in the same family and get the Ping G hybrids.

So, here's my question. Is there any place where I could find info on approximate distance an average striker of golf clubs can hit the ping g driver compared to the various ping g hybrids (2-6)? I want to get two (that's how much money/credit I have) that are evenly spaced between the ping g driver and the mizuno jpx ez 4 iron. Please help!

Welcome to THP.

Be sure to go to the Check-In Desk to help us all get to know each other better.

I have a Ping G4 hybrid and I like it a lot. Distances vary between golfers, and will vary for you as your swing develops. You may find, for example, you might hit a Ping G 5 wood longer than the Ping G 3 wood.

I would try a lot of hybrids. The Ping Gs are fine clubs, but there are lots of others out there. In my case, I do really well with Ping irons, hybrid and 5 wood, but I don't get along with their latest drivers for some reason. I would recommend the following:

If you are near a shop with a launch monitor, like a Dick's or Golf Galaxy or Carl's, go there and hit multiple clubs, including some of yours, to see how far YOU hit them. Even if you have to pay for the time, it's money well spent up front. Other options include driving ranges with ProTracer monitors or an indoor golf simulator business - same thing - launch monitors

You don't have to buy new. There are some really nice used clubs out there from places like Callaway Pre-Owned (CPO) and in the For Sale forums here.

Welcome to THP.

Be sure to go to the Check-In Desk to help us all get to know each other better.

I have a Ping G4 hybrid and I like it a lot. Distances vary between golfers, and will vary for you as your swing develops. You may find, for example, you might hit a Ping G 5 wood longer than the Ping G 3 wood.

I would try a lot of hybrids. The Ping Gs are fine clubs, but there are lots of others out there. In my case, I do really well with Ping irons, hybrid and 5 wood, but I don't get along with their latest drivers for some reason. I would recommend the following:

If you are near a shop with a launch monitor, like a Dick's or Golf Galaxy or Carl's, go there and hit multiple clubs, including some of yours, to see how far YOU hit them. Even if you have to pay for the time, it's money well spent up front. Other options include driving ranges with ProTracer monitors or an indoor golf simulator business - same thing - launch monitors

You don't have to buy new. There are some really nice used clubs out there from places like Callaway Pre-Owned (CPO) and in the For Sale forums here.

Thank you very much for your quick and detailed reply! I was expecting a blunt reply, and was pleasantly surprised to read this!

So far I've tried M1 rescue (2017 and 2016 models), M2 rescue (2016), Mizuno JPX EZ hybrids, Big Bertha OS, Callaway XR hybrids, and the Ping Gs. I liked the Ping Gs the most! I've also used the launch monitor at Dick's, but I mishit a lot and I have poor consistency. I'm sure I'll eventually improve with practice, but it's hard for me to tell based on my numbers on the monitor.

I guess overall I'm just curious about which two hybrids would slot best between the Ping G with a 10.5 degree loft and JPX EZ 4 Iron with a 22 degree loft. I don't know if it'll be #3 and #4 or #2 and #4, especially since I read that a 4-hybrid is generally one club longer than a 4-iron. Thanks again.

the JPX EZ are very much distance clubs, and may find a 4H going not much farther than your 4i

Welcome to the sport of golf. You're gonna determine your distances with some good old range time. You could probably go to a box store or an indoor simulator to get an idea of distances but nothing beats outdoor range work to see real time ball flight and distances. Plus if you can get off real ground I think it helps as I think hitting off a turf mat is super forgiving and doesn't give you accurate feedback.

In regards to your club question, personally if it was me I would actually lean towards picking up a used fairway wood. If you learn to hit the 4i you will find similar distances between that and a 4H. I am one of the few people who have never done well with a hybrid. I'd rather just hit the iron. But I couldn't live without at least a 5w. There are many days when I tee off with it because I hit it a little better than my driver. I highly recommend you add a wood of some sort. Maybe a callaway 4W 16* wood that can be lofted down a bit for more distance or lofted up a bit for more forgiveness. Do not underestimate the usefulness of a good FW. IMHO it will be much more useful than replacing an iron for a hybrid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the sport of golf. You're gonna determine your distances with some good old range time. You could probably go to a box store or an indoor simulator to get an idea of distances but nothing beats outdoor range work to see real time ball flight and distances. Plus if you can get off real ground I think it helps as I think hitting off a turf mat is super forgiving and doesn't give you accurate feedback.

In regards to your club question, personally if it was me I would actually lean towards picking up a used fairway wood. If you learn to hit the 4i you will find similar distances between that and a 4H. I am one of the few people who have never done well with a hybrid. I'd rather just hit the iron. But I couldn't live without at least a 5w. There are many days when I tee off with it because I hit it a little better than my driver. I highly recommend you add a wood of some sort. Maybe a callaway 4W 16* wood that can be lofted down a bit for more distance or lofted up a bit for more forgiveness. Do not underestimate the usefulness of a good FW. IMHO it will be much more useful than replacing an iron for a hybrid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Out of all the woods I (tried to) hit, I liked the JPX EZ 5 and 7 the best. I liked most hybrids more (it felt easy, and more consistent, even for me). But I didn't want to replace an iron with a wood as I have limited funds (about $300 left), and I want to bridge the big gap first. But I'll definitely keep this in mind for the future. Thank you!

A 4 iron can be tough to hit. If you like the Ping G hybrid, you might, also, look at the Ping G30 hybrids, which are pretty similar, but, previous generation. I think you would be better off with just 1 hybrid for now, and, I think the 4 hybrid (21 or 22 degree) would be help you the most (easier to hit). Good luck!

btw, I would, also, recommend getting an adjustable 3 or 4 wood, to work on hitting fairway woods.

If you do PING's online fitting, and know roughly how far you hit your driver, they should give a best guess of how far each of the other clubs in the bag go.

https://ping.com/fitting/nflightweb.aspx#ready

Your best bet is to get to a store to see if you can hit the hybrids off a monitor or in a simulator if you can.

A fairway wood (5W) and hybrid (4h) might be a good combination for gapping for a newer golfer as well.

A 4 iron can be tough to hit. If you like the Ping G hybrid, you might, also, look at the Ping G30 hybrids, which are pretty similar, but, previous generation. I think you would be better off with just 1 hybrid for now, and, I think the 4 hybrid (21 or 22 degree) would be help you the most (easier to hit). Good luck!

btw, I would, also, recommend getting an adjustable 3 or 4 wood, to work on hitting fairway woods.

Thank you! How about a 4H and a 5W instead? I liked the 5 and 7 woods the best, but in the JPX EZ range. So could I do with a Ping G or G30 4H (or the JPX EZ 4H, which strangely I hit pretty well also) and the JPX EZ 5W? Will that be a good "gap filler"?

If you do PING's online fitting, and know roughly how far you hit your driver, they should give a best guess of how far each of the other clubs in the bag go.

https://ping.com/fitting/nflightweb.aspx#ready

Your best bet is to get to a store to see if you can hit the hybrids off a monitor or in a simulator if you can.

A fairway wood (5W) and hybrid (4h) might be a good combination for gapping for a newer golfer as well.

Oh wow, I was literally thinking that just now! Could I do the JPX EZ 5W and the Ping/JPX EZ 4H? Thank you for the online fitting link. Had no idea that existed!

Oh wow, I was literally thinking that just now! Could I do the JPX EZ 5W and the Ping/JPX EZ 4H? Thank you for the online fitting link. Had no idea that existed!

Those gaps would not get you in trouble, I would think. I go driver - 4W lofted up, so basically a 5W - then two hybrids. I like the 3h for longer shots and off the tee, but some struggle to elevate lower lofted hybrids. a 4 would be a good in terms of gapping for you.

Those gaps would not get you in trouble, I would think. I go driver - 4W lofted up, so basically a 5W - then two hybrids. I like the 3h for longer shots and off the tee, but some struggle to elevate lower lofted hybrids. a 4 would be a good in terms of gapping for you.

Thank you so much!

I have a quick, somewhat left-field of a question. I don't see much discussion about the 7W, but I liked hitting the JPX EZ 7 wood a lot. How will the JPX EZ 5W with 18 degrees of loft and the 7W with 21 degrees of loft compare with 5W @ 18 degrees plus 4H @ 22 degrees in my set up (10.5 degree driver, 22 degree 4i)?

Thanks again!

I have a quick, somewhat left-field of a question. I don't see much discussion about the 7W, but I liked hitting the JPX EZ 7 wood a lot. How will the JPX EZ 5W with 18 degrees of loft and the 7W with 21 degrees of loft compare with 5W @ 18 degrees plus 4H @ 22 degrees in my set up (10.5 degree driver, 22 degree 4i)?

Thanks again!

7W will have a longer shaft than the 4h, and generate more clubhead speed. When I had a 7W in the bag, distance lined up more with my 3h than 4h. If you're a slower swinger, the 7W will be easier to elevate than a 3h.

7W will have a longer shaft than the 4h, and generate more clubhead speed. When I had a 7W in the bag, distance lined up more with my 3h than 4h. If you're a slower swinger, the 7W will be easier to elevate than a 3h.

Thanks! I will check that out today also then. Thanks to all of you, I'm going to pick up either a 5w+4h or a 5w+7w.

I definitely am a slower swinger now. I don't know how much it'll improve as I get better, but it's in the low 90s now. :(

A quick update. I just bought the JPX EZ 5 Wood and 7 Wood. Thanks y'all! Happy golfing!

A quick update. I just bought the JPX EZ 5 Wood and 7 Wood. Thanks y'all! Happy golfing!

I may have a JPX EZ 4 "DLR" - basically an iron with a hybrid head - XP105, steel Stiff shaft still around. If I do, it's yours if you want it for whatever the cost to ship it is. Might find it easier to hit than the 4i. Shoot me a PM if you're interested and I'll check to see if I still have it. I may have traded it in.

I may have a JPX EZ 4 "DLR" - basically an iron with a hybrid head - XP105, steel Stiff shaft still around. If I do, it's yours if you want it for whatever the cost to ship it is. Might find it easier to hit than the 4i. Shoot me a PM if you're interested and I'll check to see if I still have it. I may have traded it in.

PM sent! Thank you for being so nice!

A quick update. I received the hybrid from mpeterson and took it to the range for the first time today. It's amazing. So much easier to hit than the 4 iron, even with the stiffer shaft. Love this forum. Thanks again mpeterson!

Nice gesture, enjoy the club. :clapp:

Dave

Back