2015 THP Invitational at The Club at Savannah Harbor

344b02e04d0487313240e76352580428.jpg
Lol that's hilarious

So glad you guys had an epic event! I'm really bummed that I couldn't be there. I'm on recovery for at least the next month, but the doc said no surgery, which was a huge weight off my shoulders. Congrats to the winners, and Scott, sorry I missed you. You're not that far away, so we'll have to meet in the middle one of these days!

Good news, I do hate you had to miss this one. It was so good I just failed to take pictures because I was having so much fun.

Good news, I do hate you had to miss this one. It was so good I just failed to take pictures because I was having so much fun.

I fully intend to come out that way and lose a bunch of balls with you and Gray when I'm all healed up. I'll do my best to kleep the round under 4:30. :angel:

Don't worry - I have a lot of pictures, mostly of those i played with though. My computer is just so slow!

I'm sitting in my hotel room outside the Jacksonville Airport--watching Why Planes Crash. It's not like I have a flight in the morning or anything.…

Just a few random thoughts from this weekend:
I loved that golf course.
My tee shot on 1 Saturday was FANTASTIC.
I don't remember much of the front 9.
After a cliff bar on 8, and a bag of jerky on 9/10, I played 11-14 at EVEN (a bogey, two pars and a birdie).
My lipped birdie putt on 16 was CRUEL.
33 on the back for FUcarroll and it really could've been 30 (and we still wouldn't have won after whatever that was we did on the front).
The Heavenwood is the greatest club ever created, just ask anyone I played with this weekend.
The Pirate House had the best fried chicken I've ever had.
The grits lived up to the hype.
Pretty sure I was the only one who had their dessert delivered to them by the waitress (that's how I roll).
Wait…key lime pie isn't green?!
Bell's Palsy is my new favorite beer.
It wasn't THAT hot in Savannah…

Huge thanks to Bridgestone for sponsoring the event; Josh, Morgan, MD441, and Wardy for their hard work putting on the event; and all the familiar faces and the new ones I met this weekend for coming out. I still say that each new THP event I go to seems to trump the last one I've gone to, and that's due to the people.

I'll write more when I get home to a computer tomorrow, but that's enough for now on this tiny phone and tapatalk.

I'm sitting in my hotel room outside the Jacksonville Airport--watching Why Planes Crash. It's not like I have a flight in the morning or anything.…

After a cliff bar on 8, and a bag of jerky on 9/10, I played 11-14 at EVEN (a bogey, two pars and a birdie).
33 on the back for FUcarroll and it really could've been 30 (and we still wouldn't have won after whatever that was we did on the front).
The Heavenwood is the greatest club ever created, just ask anyone I played with this weekend.
Pretty sure I was the only one who had their dessert delivered to them by the waitress (that's how I roll).

Huge thanks to Bridgestone for sponsoring the event; Josh, Morgan, MD441, and Wardy for their hard work putting on the event; and all the familiar faces and the new ones I met this weekend for coming out. I still say that each new THP event I go to seems to trump the last one I've gone to, and that's due to the people.

I'll write more when I get home to a computer tomorrow, but that's enough for now on this tiny phone and tapatalk.

Boarding now. Thanks Richard.

A couple of great Pete quotes from last night.

My favorite type of woman is the kind that brings me food.
What is all of this white stuff, getting in the way of my delicious chicken skin?
Key Lime pie is not green? Are you sure?

Life is like a box of chocolates.

Attachments

• WP_20150809_13_01_50_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150809_13_01_50_Pro.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 0
A couple of great Pete quotes from last night.

My favorite type of woman is the kind that brings me food.
What is all of this white stuff, getting in the way of my delicious chicken skin?
Key Lime pie is not green? Are you sure?
You forgot about on the golf course:

JB: "you don't keep your rain cover in the pocket of your golf bag."

OC: "no way, that's where the food goes…"

6d48fe16c616ac07e63dc38af448221f.jpg

I'll write up something tomorrow, but for some reason I couldn't sleep this morning and was up at 4:30, on the road by 6, and pulled into the house before noon...then slept all afternoon. I will say this weekend exceeded all my expectations and rekindled some love and emotions of this game and this community that I had allowed to be too dormant over the past year.

Alright, the Zaxby's is kicking in and I'll throw a few others out there.

Glad I made a special trip to DSG on Tuesday night for a Yeti Rambler only to leave it in the car at the course Friday. The ice didn't melt in the car though…

Duck hooking tee shots with Freddie, Fupy, and Miller Time (bombers) in your foursome is extra embarrassing.

Looking at the scorecard from Friday, I have no clue how Fup and I won. #popsrule

Freddie's golf music playlist is a lot more family friendly than Fupy's (that poor cart girl).

I saw a lot of good golf shots Saturday, but these stand out more than most:

The Milk Man and Freddie's (in the group behind us) tee shots on 9 were SERIOUSLY LONG.

Fupy's XR Pro 3 wood from 262 that got home; and his bunker shot to gimme range on 17.

Pudge's 45 footer for birdie on 17 (his second in a row after finding the "alcohol sweet spot").

G$$$'s first 4 or 5 holes. "This guy is on fire!"

Last edited:
Initial random thoughts from the event:

1. Glad I got MOST of my bad shots out of the way on Friday. Although holes 15 - 18 would argue that there were still a lot left in the bag on Saturday.
2. Had a great time playing with G$$$ and ^dub^ on Friday. G$$$ can absolutely pound the Fly Z!
3. My family and I had a very nice dinner with deuce and his family on Friday night. The SLAP hot wings need to either be renamed or some real ghost pepper sauce added to them to live up to the name. I say real because anybody that had Wendy's ghost pepper fries or sandwiches was not eating real ghost pepper sauce.
4. The range session prior to the event on Saturday caused me to fall in love with both the Great Big Bertha head and the Grandura shaft. I also went away from that session in disbelief regarding what a launch monster the Bridgestone J815 was.
5. Was lucky enough to draw a great foursome for the event with my partner Blazer (his first THP event), Rambler (first time I have had the opportunity to tee it up with this top notch THPer) and deuce (glad to play with Tom again after we were teamed together in both of our first THP events last spring in Hilton Head). Blazer hit a lot of quality shots and bailed me out on a few occasions and was a great teammate! Jeremy has serious game and can absolutely pound that Wilson D200 driver! Tom hit a lot of quality shots and it was great to see how far along his game has come in the last 16 months. Keep doing work buddy and the results will continue to be there and improve!
6. Congrats to Donne and Dave again for the excellent play and great win!
7. Saturday's dinner definitely lived up to the billing! The fried chicken, mac n' cheese, grits and banana pudding were all top notch! The dinner was made even better since my lovely wife was there to share it with me. The company at our table (JB, Fupy, Pete, Wardy, Freddie and Chris) was second to none as well.
8. Was great to finally meet 3 of the THP staffers that I had previously not had the pleasure of meeting: Freddie, Wardy and Fupresti. Hope to get the opportunity to tee it up with all of you guys in the not too distant future.
9. Was really a pleasure to have more of an opportunity to interact with JB more than I had in my previous 3 THP events. Hope we have the opportunity to play together one of these days!
10. It was great to see and interact with many THPers in attendance that I had previously met at official and unofficial events and it was a pleasure to make new friends with THPers I had not previously met. I'm sure all of our paths will cross again at another awesome event!

Another tremendous THP event! These events are no doubt intoxicating and leave you wanting more and more! A huge thank you and applause to 441, JB, GG and Wardy for all the hard work you guys put in to make this yet another extraordinary event!

So much for brief random thoughts...haha

Last edited:
4bce703c5fb8c0dcbcff61c83e0d22b7.jpg

PIC heavy and a bit of rambling is quite possible in this post. You have been warned.

My day started when I woke up at 4:30 (not by choice) and decided I should just get up now because I was thinking of the event now and there was no going back to sleep, even for a minute or ten.
I was packed into the car and out of the driveway by 6AM, 24oz Thermos full of caffeine close by my side. Hit the back roads to I--16 East and started the long boring drive to Savannah. Seriously, why is there NO conveniences on this interstate? From my house, there isn't a place to grab a bit of breakfast until you're almost IN Savannah. So, I suffer through the 2.5 hour drive, surviving on my stored reserves, until I got to the course and found v.man having breakfast. So, I grabbed a couple bagels, slapped some peanut butter on them, had a juice, and enjoyed seeing everyone as they started filing in for the day's events.

Met my partner and first time event-goer ncsuhunter, and we saddled up and headed for the driving range. Loosening up after a car ride is always a bit of a task, but I was hitting some solid iron shots and decent drivers. Decided to hit a couple clubs on the Flightscope and was immediately demoralized by the output. Maybe it was because I wasn't really warmed up yet, yeah, let's go with that. I did manage two swings with the Bionic Panda's Bertha Mini and although I need to mess with it for my swing, I can tell you, that face is HOT.

We all then queued up back at the clubhouse for JB's briefing and layout for the day and dinner that night. As we were teeing off, waiting, joking, getting to know those we've not yet met, the US Coast Guard decided to welcome us with a flyover. I thought that was a nice touch. :smile:

IMG_0520_zps0tmal1zp.jpg

IMG_0522_zpshymvr9ty.jpg

Some putting green, chit-chat, and waiting around pics.

IMG_0515_zpsy6nkanmb.jpg

20150808_103342_zpslw6pt8rw.jpg

IMG_0517_zpsvbgc6vs6.jpg

IMG_0519_zpsmkbbgomv.jpg

IMG_0516_zps4mvu42sv.jpg

IMG_0514_zpsualudgin.jpg

We finally got close enough to the front of the tee line to take a picture or two.
20150808_103658_zpsk4wvwzla.jpg

IMG_0521_zpsvxulppjw.jpg

And now we hit the course. First things first, make sure you're prepped.

20150808_110359_zpstxligwuq.jpg

I can't believe it happened, but we didn't even get a group shot. I guess we were having too much fun, which we really were, it was a great day with ^dub^ and mpeterson in the other cart. Great guys! Meanwhile, I got pictures of other groups on the course.

Team Randy Squared
IMG_0527_zpsgxbmjm48.jpg

cpljohnst and phenom4hire (?) sizing up some putts.
IMG_0529_zpsqwnya8mq.jpg

Then, there's the gator everyone loves.
IMG_0533_zpsq2s8ysnp.jpg

And this guy.
IMG_0524_zpsc7ws7jtp.jpg

Things were hit or miss most of the day. We had good shots, great shots, and WTC shots, but fun was there no matter what. I did hit a nice little poke off the first tee to perfect position, so that was nice. My personal best shot was this 160y 7 iron to about 4ft.
20150808_151421_zpskkrdayt1.jpg

#MissedIt #NoGimmes

Pics went away after this point as I really started to feel the effects of the heat. I drank about 5 of those THP cups full of ice water, we got more ice at the stations and from the cart girl, I had a gatorade, and I still about keeled over at the end of the round. I probably should have worded what happened after the round more accurately, so as not to cause the PMs, texts, and posts wondering if I'd actually died and fallen into that gator's swamp. But, I do appreciate, very much, the fact that many of you thought to get in touch with me outside the forum to check on me. Nothing a ton of ice cold, wet, towels and some A/C in the clubhouse didn't cure.

I won't dwell on dinner too much, as I think you all got a good idea how awesome that was. But I did take just a few pics.
IMG_0534_zpsyhdbuljv.jpg

IMG_0535_zpsvec33ple.jpg

PETE!
IMG_0538_zpsadkicme6.jpg

And then there's this picture. I found it funny for some reason. And, thanks to Kelly's fun with Dawg and OG, I think this pic needs some captions, so have at it, everyone.
IMG_0537_zpssvahckxh.jpg

Pete, thank you for the gift.

My foursome, you guys were awesome and I'd love to be able to do it again in 80 versus 100 degree weather.

The guy at the end that cooled me down, man I wish I knew his name, but I did go back this morning (to grab my clubs) and shook his hand.

Thanks to, I think it was Phenom, for the Powerade at the bar as I was trying to cool down. Very cool and appreciated. Owe ya.

Josh, Morgan, 441, Bridgestone, the course, all deserve thanks for a perfect golf course, and event. You're good at making this a habit and guaranteed good time.

Now, if we're telling Pete stories, here's one:
He intercepted me at dinner to see if I was playing Sunday, or staying in the resort, or what....because he had something for me.
Me: "Yea, I'm staying with Ken at the Westin, what's up?"
Pete: "Just want to make sure you're around, I've got something for ya."
Me: -quizzical look-
Pete: "Something from Bethpage."
Me: "Um, Pete, buddy, you gave me that this morning before teeing off."
Pete: -quizzical look- "Really?"
Me: "Yep"
Pete: "Oh, well, OK. Honestly, I don't remember much of the first few holes, so...."

Until next time, friends.

Alright, the Zaxby's is kicking in and I'll throw a few others out there.

Glad I made a special trip to DSG on Tuesday night for a Yeti Rambler only to leave it in the car at the course Friday. The ice didn't melt in the car though…

Duck hooking tee shots with Freddie, Fupy, and Miller Time (bombers) in your foursome is extra embarrassing.

Looking at the scorecard from Friday, I have no clue how Fup and I won. #popsrule

Freddie's golf music playlist is a lot more family friendly than Fupy's (that poor cart girl).

I saw a lot of good golf shots Friday, but these stand out more than most:

The Milk Man and Freddie's (in the group behind us) tee shots on 9 were SERIOUSLY LONG.

Fupy's XR Pro 3 wood from 262 that got home; and his bunker shot to gimme range on 17.

Pudge's 45 footer for birdie on 17 (his second in a row after finding the "alcohol sweet spot").

G$$$'s first 4 or 5 holes. "This guy is on fire!"

How quickly that fire went out and never was never able to get a spark back...

Definitely jealous of how Panda & Milk Man can move the golf ball. Something to aspire to...

It was a good time and great folks. I'm very happy I attended. Though I'm not satisfied with my performance on a course that was too long for my skill set I'm going to take the experience as an incentive to work on my long game.

In the words of someone, "I'll be back!"

I played a practice round with TheMilkMan, Spivey, and Ole Gray on Friday afternoon. The course was wet, the wind was strong, and the rough was brutal but we had a blast anyway.

Milkman - hits the ball a MILE and was throwing darts all day.
IMG_9352_zpssbwabhrw.jpg

Spivey was a sandbagger at the practice round but I could tell he had serious game! I was so happy he won the next day.
IMG_9357_zps6r3ypqfb.jpg

We were all putting for birdie on the first hole but walked away with par.
IMG_9359_zps9xwzbrbm.jpg

IMG_9369_zpsvffiuh5r.jpg

IMG_9367_zpszf8iwjah.jpg

KellyBo
IMG_9393_zpsv8yyaiyl.jpg

IMG_9401_zpsqhmwo7do.jpg

IMG_9406_zpsafs06uv6.jpg

Ole Gray
IMG_9414_zpsm3lvdshr.jpg

IMG_9416_zpsqad4zemi.jpg

Ole Gray and I were "off" big time towards the end so we challenged each other to match play on the last 3 holes. I nicknamed him Tonya Harding after he almost took me out with a shank. He beat me anyway. I played really bad this weekend but I was proud he played well at the invitational.

Last edited:
Congrats on the win Dave and Donne!

Sounds like everybody had a great time as usual!

What a weekend. Thanks to THP for always putting on great events. These keep getting better and better.

Congrats to Dave and Donne on the win! I really hoped OG and Freddie had it won, but you guys put up a great number and it was well deserved!

clutch42 - enjoyed teeing it up with you! Hope we can do it again soon!
mward - I think we'll have an epic match if we're paired up at #TheGauntlet. You were bombing it off the tee all day.
knightlightpro - really enjoyed having you as a partner! Wish I would've played a little better

To that Friday late night crew: I hate you all because Bulleit and old-fashioneds are delicious. (big shoutout to spivey!)
Troy and pudge, thanks for letting us hang out in your room. There was some fun conversation going on in that room.

O'Carroll - I got #MillerTimed by you on Friday. No more pops for you. You hit some awesome shots in our Friday round. So glad we were able to tee it up together.
Fupy - I've been ebaying new pairs of shoes ever since you told me we needed to start an indiegogo to buy me some new shoes. Had a blast in our Friday round.
Freddie - I've been fortunate enough to share a cart with you multiple times now. It's always a pleasure, my friend.
phenom4hire - thanks for rooming with me! Glad it worked out! Hope we can meet up for a round soon (just lose the UGA shirt :alien:)
milkman - enjoyed our conversations. Looking forward to meeting up with you again in the future!
v.man - your neck may give you trouble, but your damn legs work just fine. T0AD, OC and I were ready to pass out chasing you down River St. trying to find the ferry.

I love THP events. The forums, testings, contests, etc. are all great, but the events are what make this place so special. Looking forward to the next one.

I pulled a muscle in my lower right side of my back Saturday while trying to pound it on the green from 170ish out in that thick rough . I can barely get out of the bed .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear that Bill. Rest up and treat it with heat or ice is it? I can never get that straight.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I love THP events. The forums, testings, contests, etc. are all great, but the people are what make this place so special. Looking forward to the next event to re-connect/meet more THPers.

FIFY...

Sorry to hear that Bill. Rest up and treat it with heat or ice is it? I can never get that straight.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Heat for muscles and ice for injuries/swelling... or something like that.

Either way, rest up and get better OG.

Back