toddlers on the course

My boy is 3 now, this was about 4 months ago:

IMG_20170611_134908.jpg

I have brought my three year old out on the course with me. He loves to sit in the basket in front of the bags. I try to get him to tee off, and putt on the greens, but after a couple of holes he's done. Mostly he loves to ride in the cart and drink Gatorade. If he does get out, I make sure he's not in anything that he isn't supposed to be (e.g., the lake, someone's backswing, etc), and I clean up the bunkers (the beach as he calls it) behind him if he's gotten in there with me. He knows to be quiet while someone is swinging, to stay away from someone who is swining, and to be very gentle with the grass on the greens. In other words, he's already more courteous than most golfers I know.

As for people telling me it's inappropriate ... no one has, yet. They can get bent though. I have a family membership, and he's family ... so he has as much a right to be there as everyone else. Plus, having my kid ride along has no negative impact on the course ... unlike the asshat members who love to play in their sixsomes that take a half hour to play a hole, frustrating paying customers from outside the country club.

When I was a young parent I was all worried about slowing anyone up when I took my daughter on the course. I never went when it was a busy time or when weekly groups were out there. One day I was all caught up in my game and not paying attention. I looked over and my daughter was making snow angels in the bunker. It taught me that she just wanted to have fun. So, I made one too. Then raked it up nicely. My kids all like the game but don't play a lot but each have said they love the memories that we have had on the golf course. Dont stress about some old folks. The days go slowly but the years go quickly. Enjoy.

I have brought my 5 yo daughter with me to ride 9 late on a sunday afternoon at the club where I belong. It is usually pretty dead after 4pm. She usually putts the first 3-4 greens, but enjoys riding in the cart, having a snack, and drinking a gatorade while I drive in between shots. It is so much fun and definitely more relaxing than trying to grind out a good number like I do in a typical round!

I love to see it, and I used to do the same with my toddlers. I kinda skimmed (because even more cute pics started hitting the thread) but one of the safety issues I'm not sure is mentioned here is the heavy use of pesticides, fertilizers etc... on golf courses. Would hate for a little one to get that crap in their mouth or eyes.

Man...I can't imagine taking my daughter out on the course (she's 20 months old). She's a banshee that makes a trip to the grocery store an adventure. I wouldn't even get the chance to pull a club out of the bag before I'd be having to chase her down.

Safety first - after that you are one awesome dad. You did great in my book

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Normally I would say not a chance keep them off the course. But if it is empty then what ever, I don't care as I am not their parent. Personally I don't think anyone who doesn't understand fore being yelled means a ball coming your way but no issue on an empty course. The only problem is when people on the course and getting hit with a ball when someone yells fore but he is out of your reach, doesn't seem to be an issue here.

well- I'm glad the consensus is with me! I'm not super worried about him getting hit with a ball as I will only go out when there are no crowds. Not to mention my club membership is a family membership so he should be covered. even if he wasn't I would take ownership and risk. The pesticides and fertilizer do worry me a bit as he does put everything he touches into his mouth. i will have to keep an eye on that.

This thread is awesome. I can't wait to be able to do this!

Over Memorial weekend last year our foursome was out playing while the ladies held down the fort with our groups first little guy. As we cruise up to the #6 tee what do we see but two more carts joining us w/ the 4 month old passed out in the carrier. They got bored and decided to join, it was fantastic!

You do you, be safe and enjoy those moments!

Old couple has a really old school mentality.

I take my kids out all the time - 3 and 6. I took my oldest out when she was 2 years old. She would ride along, maybe play a 4-5 holes and we'd call it a day. Really great excuse that allowed me to get out to the course more :act-up:

The golf professionals at the course would probably agree - this is the way to grow the game. Shoot even the Golf Galaxy pro has encouraged me to bring my two girls into the facility so they can hit range balls into the sim and use the putting green during the winter.

Don't let it get to you and keep doing it.

100% fine with this. As long as the child is not in danger and is being watched. I was at a course this summer on the chipping green and there was a guy there with his 4 year old. The kid was hitting balls toward the parking lot right next to the chipping green and drilled a car. I told the guy to watch his kid and he told me to F off. I went in and told the pro shop and they told the guy to leave and never come back after they watched his kid hit another car.

I don't have kids and have no desire to have any of my own.

As long as the kids are safe and the course isn't crowded, go for it! It's a great time to spend with them, even if it's a few holes and then playing in the sand. I remember being at my old club on Father's Day last year and seeing a bunch of kids out there. They were really playing so they were older than toddler age, but my round could have taken 5.5 hours and I honestly wouldn't have cared that day. That was really cool to see.

I started taking my Son when he was 4.
Usually it was when the course wasn't crowded.
He had a starter set.
Fwy wood, pw, putter.
I would let him tee off ( when no one was behind us).
Then, he would pick up his ball and drop it next to my drive.
We would both hit, and he would pick up his ball.
On the green, he would put his ball next to mine.
We probably did this on 6 or 7 holes, out of 18.
He loved eating trail mix, granola bars, bananas, and drinking Gatorade.
You can see him in my avatar pic. He is 13 now, and I posted a video of his swing the other day.

I took my 17 month old out on the course last night. Most of the time was spent playing in the sand and watching deer but I did manage to play 4 or 5 holes of golf. I waited until the evening when the course was empty and we didn't see another player the entire time we were out there. When I got back to the parking lot and older couple scolded me on how it was inappropriate that I brought a toddler on the course. I took this as an insult and responded back sarcastically about the dangers of old people driving golf carts(no my proudest moment). All in all it was time well spent, even with the salty couple scolding me.

What is the THP consensus....are toddlers on the course inappropriate? At what age do people bring their kids out on the course?

If I could have a favorite poster, you'd be it sir. I've spent the last 4 years playing EVERY Thursday with my little guy. He went off to kindergarten two weeks ago and I'm devastated. I'm not happy about it but way too old to have another one, but truthfully I couldn't replicate nor replace the times I've had with him on the course anyways. He's always been there to congratulate me on my triumphs. He's been there to console me in my failures. He's the only witness to almost assuredly the only double eagle I'll ever get. He's been there for more double pars and horrible shots than I'd like to imagine possible.

Enjoy your time with him. Take him out every round you go. When he's old enough to putt the ball, get him his own putter. My little guy has a PR of 17 holes in one (equaled 3 times no less:)). He likes to set the ball 6" away, set up like I do, take his practice swings, and knock it dead. I think he didn't convert his 17 to 18 only because he knew it could never be topped. Once he would do that there is nothing he'd have done that could be topped. Even little he knows that's not a good place to be.

For those poo pooing about the "danger" of being out there with a young one, don't be. I've always done everything possible to mitigate the risks to him. When I play, it's typically an empty course. If I see golfers in an opposing FW, I had him duck behind the cart opposite them to reduce any chance of a shank hitting him. I put the windshield up (yes I've read the warnings but I'm pretty sure a slower golf ball does less damage than a faster golf ball if it came to it). At a certain point, you have to live. I've been in way more dangerous situations many times in my life than walking down the middle of a fairway unprotected when someone's teeing off. I'd never put my little guy in real danger. We've only ever had one issue that was remotely close to a bad issue. Someone teed into us when we were hidden. I always took great pains to pay attention to where other golfers were and this guy, playing as a single, hit one close to where we were. We were hidden from the tee and his face was red when he realized what he'd done. No biggie, it happens. My little guy let him play through, lol!

In short, enjoy the heck out of your time TOGETHER out there. If anyone ever has a real issue with him being out there, they don't even deserve consideration from you. I love what you are doing and I miss my little "golpin " buddy more than anyone could know. Enjoy it, it's a long time out for you but it won't last forever. I'm currently suffering from a premature "empty nest" syndrome but it's real. It hurts. Make hay while the suns shining and continue to post awesome pics of golf course adventures. I'm now forced to live vicariously through others in this area, sob!!

The more I look at the situation, the more I realize that I am supremely jealous. I'm in pain here fellas! Lol (I think?). I might have to ask Mrs Smiter if she's hit that menopause thing that I hear makes it really hard to have another child (not tonight but in the morning, can't interrupt her sleep at this point in our lives ( :) )?

I accommodated her request six years ago when she wanted to try one last time to have a little girl. Nope! Three Smiter Jr males are where we are at. I think, judging from the last time we spoke about 4 years ago, that she still wants a little girl? No matter, I can buy a pink or purple putter. She might just have to accommodate me on the Smiter Jr 4th at this point. I'm hurting here fellas (and ladies). I love this post but it also makes me very sad. So enjoy it and know that 99% of folk are mostly indifferent. I most assuredly am not. I love the posts sir! Enjoy it! It won't last forever. You'll reach a time when it won't even be possible. Have a fantastic weekend.

Old couple has a really old school mentality.

Actually, they don't. Old school parents would have them riding the tractor at this age, tending to the farm animals by age 5, and driving the tractor and farm truck by the age of 8-10.

Pretty wild that they took offense to a father enjoying the outdoors and a beloved sport with his child. I live on a course and my boys have been on the course since they could walk. Some days we play a few holes and others just cruise in our golf cart. I'd also say that on a weekly basis I probably see handful of dads with children under 5/6 on the course.

As long as they are safe and not in the way. How are we supposed to grow the game without introducing it to kids?

I love seeing toddlers and children on the course as long as dad and mom keep things moving and are respectful of those around them.

My thoughts exactly.

My 3 year old daughter loves playing in the sand, feeding/chasing the ?, and running in the wide open spaces. It's a wonderful place to be alive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have zero issue with introduction to the game at a young age. I took kai and Hailie to the driving range to hit balls. They both rode in my lap on the course and acted like they were driving. Always cleared it with the pro before taking them in the cart.

When kai was old enough to play on the course, I'd take him out late evening in the summer. Again checking with the pro so we were covered. The time was for me to watch him play, not for me to play and then pay attention to him. We would star 100 yards from the green and he would play in. The evening were furnished on the putting green.

I think these moments are key in the bonding process of golf and child. I'd just because that the pro knows your on the course. If something happens then everyone is covered. If not you are risking a lot more than the little ones falling down and getting hurt.

The introduction is key. When small just riding in the cart, running around in the open space, taking the ball out of the hole, hitting a couple putts etc. All that gets the kids comfortable just being there. Later on when they can start play as said above have them hit from a manageable yardage where they can finish the hole without too much trouble and even skip a hole when a break is in order.

As always making it fun and not impacting others experience is important.

I take my 4 year old daughter with me frequently. She tends to hit from where I hit, pick up go to the next spot. And putts it out. If there's anyone playing up on us we let them play through. Not once have I been critiqued and she loves it.

Back