toddlers on the course

TYork

Reaction score
I took my 17 month old out on the course last night. Most of the time was spent playing in the sand and watching deer but I did manage to play 4 or 5 holes of golf. I waited until the evening when the course was empty and we didn't see another player the entire time we were out there. When I got back to the parking lot and older couple scolded me on how it was inappropriate that I brought a toddler on the course. I took this as an insult and responded back sarcastically about the dangers of old people driving golf carts(no my proudest moment). All in all it was time well spent, even with the salty couple scolding me.

What is the THP consensus....are toddlers on the course inappropriate? At what age do people bring their kids out on the course?

I'm all for it as long as he's kept out of danger. Doing it when the course is empty is great! :)

Plus, it looks like he's already raked 1 more sand trap than a majority of the golfers in my area. Good on you for training him early ;)

Charlotte goes out with me in the evenings in the summer, just to ride when the course is empty. This summer though at 3.5 she will start hitting some golf balls with me out there, only when its not busy though and I know she is safe.

I'd say shame on the older couple for scolding you. I think I would've reacted with a lot more than a joke about their driving competency. ;)

As long as you're keeping an eye on your child, and they're not disturbing anyone I think you should absolutely share the golf course with them. How else are kids going to grow up to love the game?

You were probably nicer to the old couple than a lot of us would have been... My daughter basically learned to walk out on the green closest to our house, she is out there with me constantly. She's 3 now, and loves going out to chip and putt with me. Just make it a fun place for them to be and they'll love going.

As long as kids are being safe and not holding up play, bring respectful, etc. It's great to get kid's involved, how on earth are we supposed to grow this game without getting kids involved.

Love seeing your little one with the range finder and rake, super cute!

Love seeing your little one with the range finder and rake, super cute![/QUOTE]

right? he copies everything I do out there. When he put the rangefinder up to his face I bet he was thinking - " why on earth would my dad do this?"

i've had a similar experience. i wanted my oldest to come with me at an early age so that he would have fun on the course. i think the first time i took him he was 12-18 months old. he treated like a big park, playing in the sand, running up and down the hills. i always made a point to rake the bunkers behind him. i did get scolded once, and pretty much told the guy to go **** himself. as he's gotten older i have taken him to play 9 holes, and we'll do it at the crack of dawn. i've always avoided taking him at busy times, partially for his safety and mostly so he doesn't bother anybody else.

I love seeing toddlers and children on the course as long as dad and mom keep things moving and are respectful of those around them.

I agree with others. Safety first and then of course not to hold up play. I've taken my kids with me a few times to ride along, hit balls and putt on the green. They love the carts and ball washers more than anything.

Anyone who can't see the value of someone like you introducing the game to your children when they are young needs a reality check. Good for you!

...we didn't see another player the entire time we were out there.

When I got back to the parking lot an older couple scolded me on how it was inappropriate that I brought a toddler on the course.

There's only one part of this that is truly 'inappropriate'.

So long as the course is OK with it and you don't hold up and/or distract play, what is the harm in a kid coming along for the ride?

I'll admit my bias in this. I've taken 3 of my kids (7, 5, and 4, at the time) with me on separate occasions to ride along when I was playing alone. The course was practically empty and no one was within 3-4 holes of us most of the time. I'd never consider taking them during a peak time or if I was playing with someone else, though. Besides, I need to get away from them once in a while, too!

I have zero problems having kiddos out on the course as long as they are not destroying anything or holding play up. Some older people do nothing but complain.

I like seeing kids on the course riding around with the parents or putting for mom or dad. It's great. Screw the couple who thought it was inappropriate.

Doesn't bother me, just keep an eye on them and things should be fine.

If you're holding no one up and the kid is causing no distractions to anyone, I have no issue with it. I hope to do this someday with my children.

Sounds like that old couple just liked having something to complain about.

I've got no issues with it. Sounds like those seniors were just being cranky.

What course was it, by the way?

Pace of play aside it's all about safety. I took a hosel rocket in the forehead a few weeks ago, if it hadn't hit the slope ahead of the tee box it would have sent me to the hospital or worse. Please be careful.

I've had the kids with me on the course numerous times. I'm in the same boat as everyone else - safety and pace of play. And with safety, parents assume the risk because nobody is really ever safe on a course. This isn't directed to anyone here but we all know it just takes one to ruin it...how many times have we seen unattentive parents letting their kids run wild...nobody ever wants to experience that on a course.

Older couple probably wonders why it's few and far between, the phone calls and visits from their own children.

Empty course is just the time for family fun. I didn't have my son on the course with me until he was about 7 but that had everything to do with the appropriate course and opportunity rather than age.

One thing recently that I must admit concerned me. In the spring I played with a fantastic guy who's wife was following along with 2 year old in tow and infant in a carriage.

I had zero issues with it, actually invited them to join me and waited a bit for him to complete the prior hole.

It was during the week, early afternoon, and although play was fairly light, there were enough golf balls flying around that I was concerned for the kids' safety.

Rational or not, it was in my head for a few holes. Only played 7 holes together as he was only playing 9 but they told me that he plays at least 3x/week and the whole family joins every single time.

Exceptional people, both serve(d) in the military. I'd play with him anytime along with his beautiful young family (but I lost his number!!! ). Guess I'd stop feeling nervous for the little ones after a little while.

When I worked at a course in the pro shop I was told by the owner that unless a greens fee was paid that the person was not protected against any liability issues and were therefore not allowed on the course. Something to consider although I'm all about getting kids excited for the game as early as possible. I would be concerned about pesticides/herbicides/fertilizers etc especially since kids touch everything and then their mouths. Personally my father didn't take me to the course until I could play.

When I worked at a course in the pro shop I was told by the owner that unless a greens fee was paid that the person was not protected against any liability issues and were therefore not allowed on the course. Something to consider although I'm all about getting kids excited for the game as early as possible.

Interesting info, thanks for sharing. A season or two ago I was fairly livid that a local exec course wouldn't let my daughter ride with me unless I bought a greens fee for her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Screw the old couple. How could anyone get angry at that is beyond me, especially when your boy is as cute as that!

I've taken my son out with me on the short (par 3) course. He plays a couple and then spends the rest of the time raking bunkers or picking up my golf balls as I'm trying to putt them, haha!

Back