What have you ended up playing (club/brand/etc) that you never expected?

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
Could be a fun thread.

I sit here pondering my setup and changes/evolutions over the years as I have gone more and more to simply playing what works best for my game and realized there are a lot of things through the years I played, that I never expected to or swore I never would for a variety of reasons.

So, I ask you THP, ever play something you never expected and found it to become extremely good for you?

Tour Edge Exotics EX9 - such a fantastic hybrid

Can I answer this on September 29?

Srixon irons. In a year or so my answer may change to PXG irons.

• Staff
For me...

1) High lofted fairway - Heavenwood mainly - I got one on a whim and HATED it at first, then one day it clicked and since then I have been hooked, and taken a lot of crap from guys at my course until they see me hit it.

2) ProV1x - This is more recent because B'stone has lost their damn minds, but I swore up and down it would NEVER happen, yet here I am as comfortable and confident as I ever have been in my beloved B330S, but instead with a ProV1x

3) Bladed GW - I was a HUGE proponent of playing a set GW because I'm a full swinger there, but as I have improved I learned that I like to hit different shots that I'm just more dialed in and focused on with a bladed wedge than a set GW.

4) High Loft - I used to think I hit the ball too high when I first got into golf around 2010, like so many do, funny though because if you've played with me you know this isn't true. Since then, even through lessons, high loft has become my friend.

5) Dropping the 5i - I take crap at the course for this too, especially as a lower HCP, but I prefer a hybo in the 5i spot, particularly one that still plays to iron distance. I just don't see myself going back to a 5i.

For me...

1) High lofted fairway - Heavenwood mainly - I got one on a whim and HATED it at first, then one day it clicked and since then I have been hooked, and taken a lot of crap from guys at my course until they see me hit it.

2) ProV1x - This is more recent because B'stone has lost their damn minds, but I swore up and down it would NEVER happen, yet here I am as comfortable and confident as I ever have been in my beloved B330S, but instead with a ProV1x

3) Bladed GW - I was a HUGE proponent of playing a set GW because I'm a full swinger there, but as I have improved I learned that I like to hit different shots that I'm just more dialed in and focused on with a bladed wedge than a set GW.

4) High Loft - I used to think I hit the ball too high when I first got into golf around 2010, like so many do, funny though because if you've played with me you know this isn't true. Since then, even through lessons, high loft has become my friend.

5) Dropping the 5i - I take crap at the course for this too, especially as a lower HCP, but I prefer a hybo in the 5i spot, particularly one that still plays to iron distance. I just don't see myself going back to a 5i.

I share 1, 3, and 5 with you but I will never play a Pro V1 again!:act-up: I always carry a 17* fairway wood and sometimes a 19.5*. I also have dropped my 4 & 5 irons in favor of extra driving irons/hybrids, and fairway woods. Not something super common among us low index

Not a brand per se, but more of a set up. I always went along with the standard 5-GW set make up and over time I've realized that a hybrid works better replacing my 5i & playing non set wedges from PW -LW just work for me. Probably not conventional, but I like it and it works.

Over the years I have played some things that I never thought I would. Three that come to mind rather quickly are....

1)Niblick back in 2010. Had an extra spot and threw it in, really helped me with short game, not just with execution, but understanding different types of shots.

2)Heavenwood: I was a big 5 wood - 3 hybrid fan. But the heavenwood was a real game changer for me. Gave me confidence on those 200 yard approaches that I really did not have. I resisted it for a while, but once it happened it was good for my game.

3)917 Driver: After my fitting, I found confidence having something I wasn't going to hook off the planet. The setup alone was something I did not think I would end up with, extra weight in toe, with a heavier and stiff shaft. It's not that I swore off Titleist drivers in the past, but they just did not really do anything for me, at least enough to make it to the bag.

The Callaway Epic Driver. I've never really liked the Callaway woods...tried them all over the years GBB, ERC, Fusion etc. But was fitted with the Epic and it somehow works. I always used to be a Taylormade wood player because I like the way they sit, but if it works then stick with it.

Currently using a MP fli-hi 3 iron. I like it off of the tee as an option on tight holes. And use a 19 degree hybrid. I may in the end get a hybrid and set it set up to 22-24 degree to replace the fli-hi and the (redundant, only in the bag to make up numbers) 4 iron as it's seldom used and make way for a 3/4 wood.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Tour Edge Bazookas 2+6 set. Stunning price/performance ratio. IIRC, these were predecessors to their current Hot Launch 2 line. I'm surprised I don't see more of these among juniors, seniors, and more casual golfers.

I also never thought I'd do so well with Ping irons, either, but I'm vary happy with that choice.

Oh - and the Cleveland Mashie 1 and 2 hybrids were winners for me as well. For a year I even shelved my driver and hit the 1 from the tee.

Last edited:
snell direct-to-consumer golf ball

ben hogan golf hybrid. quality product when released, but based on where they are now i would have never tried it in the first place. works pretty well for me.

jdm wedges. never wanted anything to do with them, but love the ones i have.

#7 shape. working incredibly well.

The big surprises I've had have been

1) The Heavenwood. I went in for a fitting and was really surprised how well that fit a gap.
2) Cleveland 588 hybrid. Wasn't on my radar, wasn't even on my initial bag setup for the Morgan Cup, and it ended up being easily my favorite club in the bag for 3 years.
3) Ping G15 irons. I'd never really loved the G series look, but when I went in for a fitting these consistently performed better than anything.

It took the Apex hybrid currently in my bag for me to finally get along with a hybrid.

While I love the looks and the performance of the Apex I think the thing that really helped it not be a hook machine is finding the right shaft.

Prior to MC2.0 I never even considered Callaway.

What a big mistake that was for so many years.

The SeeMore FGP. Hated the look of it for years. Then suddenly it clicked recently.

First hybrid I ever had was an Adams Idea 3h purchased for $15.00 out of "junk" club bin. 6 years later I still haven't found a 3h that was as automatic as that club. 210-215 arrow straight every single time.

For me...

Hey Jman, any chance you could elaborate on the bolded? I have been too damn busy to be on the forum during the day and missed the backstory here.

My answer is "spinnier" golf balls. The Pro-V1, TP5, the non-"X" version of every body's urethane ball. I always thought I needed lower spin balls, now I realize that the higher spin is helping me hit more greens and get closer. I like that.

My 3 wood. Based on my 1st 20 years of golf, I never thought I'd be able to play any 3w.

Callaway clubs. Always used to just see them as hook machines because everytime I picked up one in the store, it looked extremely draw biased.

Cleveland launcher driver. I never considered Cleveland to be strong in the driver market. I was wrong.

Nike irons. Who knew Nike makes solid irons.

Krank driver. I never tried them and wanted to see what they were all about.

I'm currently gaming my second straight aggressively weighted lower lofted fairway wood (815 BBA 14* 3W --> ESZ 13.5* 3+W). Both performed best for me at standard loft with the heavy weight in the forward port even though I'm not a high swing speed internet golfer.

Srixon irons. 765s are the best irons I've ever played

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Srixon irons, loving the wedges and 355's

Cleveland HB putter.

I would have never thought i would play my Wilson ft5 irons it my exotics tour ex9 4 hybrid

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Back