Par 3's - How Long is Too Long?

ken419

Return of the Hack
Reaction score
Handicap
Oh Yeah
A local course I enjoy playing has two long par 3 holes, one at 235yds and the other at 240yds.

With your average amateur only hitting 195-205 with their driver*, should it still be considered a par 3, and how long would you consider to be too long?

*SOURCE: Golf Digest 2/9/17

Any par 3 approaching 200 yards is too long for me. I really prefer the longest to be around 170. Then 150 to 160 and maybe one 130 or 140.

But as long as I don't need more than a hybrid, that's good enough.

At 235-240 in the OP, I am probably not getting there with the driver most of the time. Conditions have to be just right or I make the perfect swing if I am going to be close to the green. I might bounce it up there if it's been hot and dry!

To the OP: are those distances from the tips or are they from the regular mens tees? Because that makes a difference.

I don't know the number. But when I was in Ireland there was a very long par 3 and the wind was in our face. I asked one of the caddies what the number was and he said "driver". That is too long.

210 is too long in my book. Move up a set of tees.

Par 3's should be no more then 85% in length compared to your total driving distance.

This would be my cut off point as well. With no wind in my face, I would have to pure a 5 wood to get there.

If I have to pull 3W or driver it's too long. 190+ is too long for me.

JM

I normally do on those holes. There's a set of gold tees not on the scorecard that are slightly behind the red (ladies) tees, so I usually play both at ~165/180...I can almost get there with a 3h; 3w is too inconsistent most days to even try it.

I think anything over 190 is too long.

Par 3s are challenging for what they are anyway, tight greens, lots of hazards - why make it stupid long?

Par 3's - How Long is Too Long?

Any time a par 3 takes an iron/iron replacement out your hand I feel that a Golfer is playing the wrong tees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

To the OP: are those distances from the tips or are they from the regular mens tees? Because that makes a difference.

Yes...those distances are from the tips (white tees). The red (ladies) tees on those holes are 180 and 170.
This course also has a set of gold tees behind the reds that aren't on the scorecard.

I am okay for a par 3 out to 210. We have one on the home course that long.. Depending on wind it could be 4 iron to 3wood.

230, particularly if it's mostly carry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While 200+ par 3s are not my favorite, I do think they have a place, just as a driveable par 4 does. The longest I have played was at Stockton sea view baycourse just outside of AC. Was 210+ from the standard tees into the wind. It was something different which I appreciated.

My favorite "beginner's" course by me has a 202 yard Par 3. I hate that hole. It is a Driver for me, so very small chance of ever parring that hole. For now.

If I am having to hit 3 wood , the hole would be too long

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My old home course had a par 3 that was 200(downhill) from the white tees and 220(flat) from the blues. Big green, just bunkers no water, it was a fair but tough hole.

I play a course that has a 195 to 210 par 3 depending on pin placement. The difficulty really is that the green sits up on a hill. If your ball hits the front of that hill it ain't gonna get up there. Can be anywhere from a 4 iron to #3 hybrid. Still a fun hole.

Beyond 215 now is probably when it becomes less than comfortable for me now. I can hit my hybrid 235-240 or so, but I'd rather not for anything other than a tee shot on a shorter par 4.

Home course has one par 3 that's 225, 235 to a back pin. A bear into the wind.

Longest I played prior was in Myrtle Beach, the legends courses. Moorland has one at 245 and Heathland, 235. Although longer, Moorland played easier for me. Tee is elevated a bit whereas Heathland's is flat and the Moorland hole is more generous with a large bailout short and right. Water left, don't go there like my buddy did four times in a row. He's stubborn, re-tee'd every time rather take a closer drop (with better angle hitting away from water!).

A local course we used to play had some weird holes.
There was a par 3 @ 235 yards.
A few holes later, they have a 185 yd par 4, and a 212 yd par 4.
It's a new course (5 years old). We asked the owner why he didn't switch and call the 185 yd a par 3, and the 235 yd a par 4.
He said this messes people up.
They think they "have" to reach the par 3@ 235yd with an iron.??????????
I usually hit a 4 or 5 wood. No problem.

My old home course had a par 3 that was 200(downhill) from the white tees and 220(flat) from the blues. Big green, just bunkers no water, it was a fair but tough hole.

Were the tees on completely different lines? I have a hard time imagining on a normal setup, how the blues weren't also downhill.

230+. I have plenty of club to get there but hardly ever hot the green because I don't swing in tempo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not so sure the total length of the hole is as much of an issue as the carry distance is. Anything with a 200 yard forced carry is probably a bit harsh on the majority of amateur golfers.

I like to think in terms of iron distance. Anything more than a 5-iron to me (160-170) is too long for me. My game is not that good that I can get on those longer par 3's in regulation. That is why my buddies and I, all in our 70's play the forward tees.

Back