Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind Wedges Preview

I finally have two rounds under my belt with the 58*/10* Mac Daddy, which replaced an X-Tour 58*/11* PM grind.

I wanted a wedge with the same grind, loft, and bounce as my current club. It is my go-to club from 75 yards and in: fairway, rough and sand.

Warming up with the club for the first time took a little adjusting. I seemed to be chunking more shots than making solid contact, which did not inspire confidence the first time out. Also, it seems to have a higher flight than my old wedge, and a little less distance.

So far, it has been great out of the sand and out of the rough around the greens. I am still working on lowering my trajectory from the fairway. BUT, it is nice to be able to hit it higher/softer without laying the face open.

A little more time to build confidence, and I will have a better weapon in my bag than the club it replaced!

So I'm still loving my 60˚ but I did get caught in a super fluffy bunker this Sunday and it took me three strokes to get out. Mostly user error I think. Ball finally came out when I squared up the club and just buried it behind the depression the ball was sitting in. First time I've had any issue with a bunker so far so I'll chalk it up to that. I'm also not used to playing from super fluffy sand in general. Other than that though, I've had some reasonable success. Only time this wedge and I don't get along is when I try to get cute or don't commit to the shot. As long as I stay aggressive, the results are solid. hit a couple of nice shots from the fairway my last round that give me a little more confidence using this wedge from a distance. Even opened it up a little on a short sided pin from the fairway. Over swung a bit but the ball came out clean and high. Super fun wedge to try different shots with.

So I bought a 56' 14' bounce PM grind just for bunkers and really thick rough...well, I have 2 rounds in, and I haven't been in a bunker ( at least the kind where you would want a lot of bounce ) yet! I did try it out of some thick rough, and it was fine. One thing, and maybe it's me - but this wedge seems to fly lower than you would think from it's stated loft??

Anybody using the 64?

I ordered both, got the 58 and like it, never thought it would toss the renegar 58 out, it did, but now, I don't know how the 64 would fit in.

How are you liking the 64 and what are your wedges if playing it?

My wedges are the Z 545 PW at 45, the renegar 50 and 54, and the pm 58.

Think I'll leave the 64 in wrapper, see feedback and either try to work it in or send it to the bay

I have the 64 but not in the bag. I play my wedges at pw (46,47 or 48 depending on the set in playing ) then 52, 56 and 60. 56 and 60 are pm grind. I just don't see what a 64 can do that the 60 with a little open face can't do.

I'm really excited about the md3 wedges, but I'm not sure they can unseat these in the 56/60 spot, I've gotten so so so comfy with them.

First time out with the 58/10 on Sunday and I hit some shots that shocked me. The ease to get this wedge under the ball is silly and on bunker shots it just flat out does its job. One shot I have from the rough over some bushes got up and over no problem & when I looked at the face, sure enough the ball mark was just under the toe area....looks like the designer of the club knew what they were doing :)

I have the 64 but not in the bag. I play my wedges at pw (46,47 or 48 depending on the set in playing ) then 52, 56 and 60. 56 and 60 are pm grind. I just don't see what a 64 can do that the 60 with a little open face can't do.

Hahaha i love that you have three different PW lofts depending on "set in play"

Much better day yesterday with my 60˚, other than one hole where I got wimpy with my swing. Even rattled one off the stick on #3 for a tap in par. I love that I don't have to open this up much if I don't want to to get a nice high shot.

I'm really excited about the md3 wedges, but I'm not sure they can unseat these in the 56/60 spot, I've gotten so so so comfy with them.

Definitely don't think the MD3s will take the LW spot for me, but I'm eyeballing a 54˚ for sure.

After multiple rounds with the 60 degree PM here are my thoughts on it.

Out of the rough, the bunker and any time a flop shot is required it is the best wedge I have ever used.

On regular fariway shots I am just luke warm on it. Its more me than the club, I the think the high toe gets in my head a little.

Anyone that plays a course like I do where the rough is thick and flop shots are required at times, I would say this club is a must have.

Again this is just my opinion. This club will be staying in my bag for sure.

Anyone that plays a course like I do where the rough is thick and flop shots are required at times, I would say this club is a must have.

Not an exaggeration, I bet that club would have saved me 5 strokes minimum at your place. That green side rough was no joke and I didn't have a club to throw the ball high and land it.

Anybody using the 64?

I ordered both, got the 58 and like it, never thought it would toss the renegar 58 out, it did, but now, I don't know how the 64 would fit in.

How are you liking the 64 and what are your wedges if playing it?

My wedges are the Z 545 PW at 45, the renegar 50 and 54, and the pm 58.

Think I'll leave the 64 in wrapper, see feedback and either try to work it in or send it to the bay

I have the 58 and 64, both with UST Recoil shafts. I use the 58 degree for 50 to 80 yard shots and the 64 for everything 50 yards and in. Love it. As long as you have your yardages dialed in you can get the ball to land near the hole and stop every time. These things are so easy to open up that I could have probably just used the 58 degree for everything but it's so much harder to dial in how much to open the face for certain shots that I found using the 58, square and simply adjusting my backswing (full, 3/4, 1/2, etc) to get the distance I want from 50 to 80 yards is so much easier and consistent. Then I do the same thing with my 64 for shots 50 yards and shorter (choked up full swing 50 yards, 3/4 swing 40 yards, 1/2 swing 30 yards, etc). Money every time. Once I get closer than 20 yards or so and depending on where the flag is, I may start to play with the loft on the 64 and open it up a bit if I don't have much of the green to work with and need a flop. I used to never bother trying flop shots during a round (practiced all the time at the practice green) with my old JAWS 64 because the results were so inconsistent but with these PM wedges I do it all the time. On Sunday I was sitting right behind a green side bunker with the flag just on the other side with maybe 8 feet of green in between. With my old wedge I would have just popped it over the bunker safely and landed somewhere in the middle of the green but my confidence with the new 64 is so high, I opened it up, flopped it just over the bunker (cleared it by 2 feet) and landed the ball 3 feet from the hole. I would have never even tried that in the past for fear of landing in the bunker.

This thing has become a crutch for me.

I have never been comfortable out of the sand, partly because I was always scared to death to open up the blade and hit a short greenside bunker shot. Since adding this thing to the bag, I enjoy the sand cause it actually makes me look like I know how to hit this shot with ease.

This thing has become a crutch for me.

I have never been comfortable out of the sand, partly because I was always scared to death to open up the blade and hit a short greenside bunker shot. Since adding this thing to the bag, I enjoy the sand cause it actually makes me look like I know how to hit this shot with ease.
Same for me. I've always been a close your eyes and pray you get out in 1, but with this I have so much confidence that I actually have been getting up and down out of the sand. Must be what the pros feel like.

After multiple rounds with the 60 degree PM here are my thoughts on it.

Out of the rough, the bunker and any time a flop shot is required it is the best wedge I have ever used.

On regular fariway shots I am just luke warm on it. Its more me than the club, I the think the high toe gets in my head a little.

I've seen many times how incredibly good you've been on the flop shots even before getting this wedge, and that you often had trouble off the fairways with your old lob wedge too. Are your fairway issues with the PM grind worse, about the same? Do they pop up mostly on full(ish) lob wedge shots or are you having issues on the partial scoring shots off the fairway too?
Reason I ask is that I'm pondering pulling both my 54* and 58* ATVs to replace with a 56* and another hybrid. I play both my ATVs real well (love em) but I think I'm losing shots due to doubts if I'm using the right one as I'm setting up for a scoring shot. Even out of the traps I use both and am never sure I have the right one in my hands. Up until I got back into golf and upgraded my sticks, I had always just used one wedge for all those scoring shots; my SW.
Back to the point. The PM grind is at the top of my list for the 56* to get as I often use the high toe area on purpose to deaden shots. But I'm also concerned with the 56* having so much bounce (13*) that it might give me issues off tighter fairways. I doubt I'd have any issues on the zoyzia fairways like your course, but some of them I play aren't as lush. You've seen me miss a h&ll of a lot of greens, do you think the PM 56* would work for me? A question for others who are playing it in that loft, do you run into issues off tighter fairways on short scoring shots?

Same for me. I've always been a close your eyes and pray you get out in 1, but with this I have so much confidence that I actually have been getting up and down out of the sand. Must be what the pros feel like.
What loft was the PM you let me hit a couple practice shots at Deer Creek a couple weeks ago?

Kind of weird, but I see a lot of success on full shots with these when I take it past parallel on the backswing. No idea why, maybe it helps with tempo or something, but if it works...

I love the PM 58 just need a 54 to match!
I find myself using my 54 so rarely anymore, I don't know why I even have one. I switched to a 58 out of the sand and will never go back.

I find myself using my 54 so rarely anymore, I don't know why I even have one. I switched to a 58 out of the sand and will never go back.
So what's your next wedge after the 58?

Wait they made a 54 in this? How did I miss that? I would love a 54 PM grind.
Not yet they haven't, but there is talk of it.
So what's your next wedge after the 58?
I go 49, 54, 58. I just don't get in 54* range often. I used to use it to get out of bunkers because of the added bounce, but with the PM grind I like it a ton more out of the sand.

sad day for me golf wise. I really wanted to love everything about this wedge as I did when I tested the same about 45 days ago but since acquiring one about 2 weeks ago, I can't see keeping the wedge in the bag. I just can't seem to blend with the wedge again. Timing is off, distance control is non existent, and overall feel with the wedge is MIA. I tried changing the grip, even changed the shaft and went to an old faithful (DGS400) and nada so tonight I'm going to SW the club and get it back to exactly D7, same as the one I tested. I hope that brings back the confidence I had with this club.

The course I'm playing this weekend has some sort of Bermuda Crabgrass mutant rough. It's the most clingy "stuff" I've ever lost my ball in. I've had really good luck with my PM grind out of the rough on other area courses. Hopefully my Callaway duo of Chrome Soft Truvis (finding the ball) and PM grind (extracting the ball) are up to the challenge.

Back