Trying To Break 90 Club

I see a lot of good scores here lately, we all need to keep grinding and we will get to the 80s!

I feel like I am getting better, I have made a few steps backwards to engrain some new swing thoughts, I feel like it will happen again soon!

No rounds so far this week; just practice. Working on making sure I don't quit on the swing and hit thru the ball. Might go out and play Friday... we'll see.

Lots of penalty strokes. The desert is brutal but beautiful this time of year..... 95 GHIN to 92 today. Ten penalty strokes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Played in a step aside scramble yesterday for charity. Was a bit wild with the longer clubs off the tee, but my iron game was decent and I chipped and putted reasonably well, which was good because my squad included my mom and her friend, so me and another guy had to make sure we got it on or close to the green to give us a chance. We ended up with a -1 71, which was much better than the +9 81 we shot last year. Winning team was -10. I had a great time.

Hopefully playing a few times this weekend. I feel like I'm due to break out and play well soon.

Lots of penalty strokes. The desert is brutal but beautiful this time of year..... 95 GHIN to 92 today. Ten penalty strokes.

That is a lot of penalties!

Id love to try desert golf some day

44 out and 50 in today. Normally I play better on the back 9 but not today. Very happy off the tee, hit driver for the first time in, well I can't remember ever hitting driver. Only had one bad shot with, a slice right and wet. Missed putts all day long. On the front 9 I had only two bad holes, both doubles. On the back I had a couple of triples (both Par 3s). I did get a blister on my right thumb and while it didn't hurt I was conscious of it and worried about it getting worse. Not sure if that caused me to lose focus.

just came back from the course where I ran my way trough nine... WOW! I am playing my best golf in a few years.

after shooting 42 yesterday, I start today with a 45 ft putt for birdie on hole 1!!! on route to a great 41, the only bad hole I had was a triple on the long par 3 7th where I had awkward stances chipping to the green and shot trough it twice...

just came back from the course where I ran my way trough nine... WOW! I am playing my best golf in a few years.

after shooting 42 yesterday, I start today with a 45 ft putt for birdie on hole 1!!! on route to a great 41, the only bad hole I had was a triple on the long par 3 7th where I had awkward stances chipping to the green and shot trough it twice...

Keep it up Marty, that's an combined 83, impressive.

Keep it up Marty, that's an combined 83, impressive.

indeed, now I need to have two good ones together and lower that handicap. I am at 18.1, 0.2 away from my goal for this season

Nice solid round. You are getting there.

I think one of the biggest things to breaking 90 is course management and putting your misses in the right spot. If there is trouble long and it's safe short, make sure you don't miss long. If you come up short, so be it. Get up and down for a par or at worse bogey. If you're 250 yards out on a par 5 and you can hit your 3W that far but only do it 1 out of 10 times. Instead of going for it, lay up to a distance that you are most comfortable with. I know the times I blow up and shoot around 90 or above it's because of mental mistakes like that.

Shot 43 for 9. Best ball-striking all year. Greens were terrible, cost me a couple shots and had 1 penalty on a par 5 when I went OB long on my 2nd shot. Course was really dry and I had a wind-aided 325 yard drive on the first hole, 430 yard par 4 and had a little over 100 left after, made par.

Sent from my D5316 using Tapatalk

Had two good practice sessions this week and will have one more tonight after the temperature gets a little more reasonable. Gonna play a round at sunrise tomorrow.

I shot 46/46 for 92 today on a very wet course, I lost 3 strokes in the wet sand...

I need to put the seemore back in the bag, I was chipping lights out today, but I missed 5-7 putts within 5 feet... that terrible

Couple of great rounds! Now concentrate really hard and radiate some of that goodness to the rest of us!

Couple of great rounds! Now concentrate really hard and radiate some of that goodness to the rest of us!

thanks, I jsut sent you a few good shots, go out and play them!

Had two good practice sessions this week and will have one more tonight after the temperature gets a little more reasonable. Gonna play a round at sunrise tomorrow.

Good luck with the round and looking forward to hearing about how you did.

45/47 - 92 this morning. 4 pars, 9 bogeys, 3 doubles and 2 triples. Bogey the triples and I'd have been at 88.

Nailed the tee shot on the par 5 9th leaving 220 over water to the green, so I skipped the hero shot and laid up. Would've been great if I hadn't pulled my approach shot into the water anyway. Ended up with 7 for double.

Got aggressive on the dogleg right par 4 16th and didn't carry the water over the corner. Drop, hit up, made 7 for triple.

I went with 3hyb on the par 5 12th (the hole on which I've hit FOUR OB tee shots in the last two rounds before this one) - aaaaand yanked it into the woods OB. Sigh. Ended up making 7. I think I will hit PW, PW, PW, PW & putt next time I play that hole.

Bright spots:

--Didn't miss a single short putt today. Made everything from 10 feet or closer.
--Hit 5 GIRs - very good for me.

Last edited:
My GF will be away all day tomorrow mornign, I have a tee time at 7:30 , and I plan to play at least 36, maybe 45 or 54, hopefully I get to play some good shots

thanks, I jsut sent you a few good shots, go out and play them!

I need a couple as well - preferably a few tee shots that aren't dead pulls OB left :banghead:

Thanks!

45/47 - 92 this morning. 4 pars, 9 bogeys, 3 doubles and 2 triples. Bogey the triples and I'd have been at 88.

Nailed the tee shot on the par 5 9th leaving 220 over water to the green, so I skipped the hero shot and laid up. Would've been great if I hadn't pulled my approach shot into the water anyway. Ended up with 8 for triple.

Got aggressive on the dogleg right par 4 16th and didn't carry the water over the corner. Drop, hit up, made 7 for triple.

I went with 3hyb on the par 5 12th (the hole on which I've hit FOUR OB tee shots in the last two rounds before this one) - aaaaand yanked it into the woods OB. Sigh. Ended up making 7. I think I will hit PW, PW, PW, PW & putt next time I play that hole.

Bright spots:

--Didn't miss a single short putt today. Made everything from 10 feet or closer.
--Hit 5 GIRs - very good for me.

I need a couple as well - preferably a few tee shots that aren't dead pulls OB left :banghead:

Thanks!

you got them, get these OB shots figured out and you will break 90 soon enough.

you got them, get these OB shots figured out and you will break 90 soon enough.

Thanks! It's my typical swing fault: when I get tentative, I hit the brakes instead of accelerating through impact. When I hit the brakes I tend to stand up which pulls everything (including the ball) to the left.

Just need to be aggressive through impact.

Thanks! It's my typical swing fault: when I get tentative, I hit the brakes instead of accelerating through impact. When I hit the brakes I tend to stand up which pulls everything (including the ball) to the left.

Just need to be aggressive through impact.

just try to play the safe shot when there are trouble around, I know its boring, but it helps lowering scores

Went 42/49 today for a 91. I was playing pretty well until a couple 3 putts and three penalties derailed my round. I kept on playing though and finished with a par on 18 so not all bad. 4/13 FW, 5/18 GIR and 34 putts. 1 bird and six pars today.

Shot a 93 with to lost balls off the tee, I am happy with the score as I felt really bad the first 9 ... felt sick to my stomach.

Back