Getting the itch to try a new driver. Opinions Welcome.

phenom4hire

Reaction score
Handicap
18-19
So its been a year since I bought my stiff blue Bio Cell and although fairly happy with it, I am getting the itch to try something different. I have hit several different drivers on launch monitors and nothing was giving the same specs and results as my Bio Cell is. I really like what I am hearing about the Fly z+ which I havent tried yet but love what cobra is doing right now. I have hit the g30 ls tec quite well on 2 different occasions and was actually getting a bit more distance with similar dispersion. I tried the TM offerings and the Aeroburner did the best for me but not really loving either option. Im intrigued by the D200 based off the results guys were getting from their fittings and Ive played 2 different WS drivers in the past but didnt really care for either. Seems like the Callaway 815 offerings are really popular right now but havent had the chance to hit them either. I had the best dispersion with one of the new Titleist but I tend to steer away from them just because it seems like everybody around here plays them and I seem to lose a little distance. Ive always wanted to try a Tour Edge driver and have come close to pulling the trigger on a few occasions but talked myself out of it at the last moment. Anyway I just want something different to test and play around with and Ill hang onto my Bio Cell as a backup just in case. I would like to hear opinions on why you chose your gamer and any drivers that you have hit that really surprised you in a positive or negative way. If I end up with something I dont like I can always unload on the marketplace and try again. I dont have the time for a fitting right now but at some point will go through a proper fitting. Thanks for your opinions and recommendations in advance.

Lots and lots of choices.
Here is my $0.02 -

WS D200. I believe that it is the best bang for your buck. They are starting to pop up used, if you don't want to buy new, but even new, the price is very reasonable.
Bridgestone J815 - might be a better club than the D200.
FlyZ is a great club - I really enjoy the stock shaft, moreso than my BioCell.
Any Callaway product is going to be outstanding - try the Mini 1.5 - I loved hitting that club so much, I only hit it once cause I did not want to feel the need to buy one!
Ping G30 is a great club, turbulators be damned!

I HIGHLY recommend getting a shaft that fits your swing, that will make a ton of difference in your performance.

+1 on the Cobra Fly-Z

Of those you mentioned, D200 and G30, both of which I have/am using extensively. Both have good forgiveness and plenty of distance (tour shaft in the Ping is better than the blue one, IMO). If looks and sound are important, D200 wins all day long.

I was playing the Alpha 815 and then I was selected to test the G30 LS. The G30 passed the sight test for me, and this ended up being confirmed for me in a Trackman fitting. I also had some pretty good results from the titleist 915 d2 which was just a little shorter than the G30 for me. Stuck with the stock shaft in the G30 as well.

Lots out there to try. Have fun with it!

here are my thoughts in no particular order

D200
Bridgestone j815
Fly z/z+
Berta mini 1.5
Bertha alpha 815
G30
Srixon z545

My thoughts as well and as emart said no particular order:

D200
2014 Callaway Big Bertha Alpha (I just picked this one up a few weeks ago and have fell in love. I tried both of the 815 models but didn't see much difference from my then gamer. Plus you can put one of these together on the cheap! I did for $145!)
Bertha Mini 1.5
B-Stone J815

Try the Bombtech Grenade. They have a return policy, and maybe we can finally get a review :bulgy-eyes:

G30 LS Tec and it's not even close.

+1 on the Cobra Fly-Z

+2 of the fly-z. just wants to be in the fairway with a halfway decent swing. haven't tried it with the stock option, but set to a slightly higher loft and paired with a higher-launching shaft this thing will flat-out perform. user error is user error and won't be fixed by anything, but i can attest that most misses still find fairways and still get excellent distance.

Well, after playing a weekend with the Bridgestone J815, I have to say this is a must hit driver. As long as anything I've hit, with great forgiveness and fairly low spinning. Perfect combo for my game. They also have a test drive option where you pay about 20 bucks for shipping and get 21 days to try it out in real world conditions before sending back.

Well, after playing a weekend with the Bridgestone J815, I have to say this is a must hit driver. As long as anything I've hit, with great forgiveness and fairly low spinning. Perfect combo for my game. They also have a test drive option where you pay about 20 bucks for shipping and get 21 days to try it out in real world conditions before sending back.
Id have to agree. This was the club I was most excited about getting. This thing just flat out performs.

Lots of good advice here so far, but if you like your Bio Cell, you might want to try the Adams Blue. It doesn't get a lot of love but all it does it knock a ball straight and far. There are no bells and whistles but bells and whistles are often distractions anyway.

I have use both the Callaway V-Series and Bridgestone J815 and can say the J815 is a spectacular driver. Very forgiving and long. Go through the test drive program. You will not be disappointed.

If you've got a local Club Champion or other fitting place near, I'd give them a shout. You can test and get fit for an insane amount of club heads and shafts. Was a LOT of fun for me.

Closest to me is sea island and I haven't been able to find solid info on their club fitting prices but would expect them to be a bit steep.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Was all about my Callaway 815 Alpha but I finally got the the J715 from Bridgestone dialed in and it is pure gold!

915 series IMO is the best driver out this year. The fly Z + is a great club along with the G30 if you can handle the looks. Those 3 gave me similar numbers. The 915 was just more forgiving than the other 2 for me

Srixon 525- tough to find but phenomenal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fly-Z+
Fly-Z
D200
J715
915 D2

Curious what shafts you guys are playing in the J715. Is the fubuki a solid stock offering?

915 series IMO is the best driver out this year. The fly Z + is a great club along with the G30 if you can handle the looks. Those 3 gave me similar numbers. The 915 was just more forgiving than the other 2 for me

I would absolutely second this - just moved from the i25 to this driver this past weekend. I demoed the 915 against a couple G30 iterations, and the feel, ball flight, and distance from the 915 just destroyed the G30. I loved the well the ball just exploded off the face. Plus, it's really nice to look at. I ended up with the Diamana white shaft in a stiff.

I have enjoyed the Fly Z as well. Lots of give and not too stylish to be a hipster :)

i am partial to my x2hot but i have been hitting my partners fly z/maybe a fly z+ im not sure. while not as long as the callie, simply because i am not used to it, it is stupid easy to hit straight, HIGH HIGH HIGH, and long with a pretty smooth easy swing. i can not make that claim for the x2hot

Back