Recap & Review - 2015 THP Legacy

So for the participants, what's next in your golfing life? I know the post event blues are real, but I'm trying to look forward to the next thing.

For me it's back to lessons, working on more swing change stuff to get a proper swing and more distance. It's crazy, before my lesson I was warming up with my driver on the launch monitor, just smashing away at the ball and watching a huge draw. My shortest was 211, my longest was 244. That's coming off a typical drive that topped out at 200 yds.

I'm working with my coach on getting my lower body engaged in the swing. Of course on the very first lesson, I'm suddenly bashing my 9i with 120+ yds of carry (my 9i was my 100yd club at Legacy). On the one hand it's disappointing that I didn't do as much work on full swing because I didn't want to be mid-swing-change for Legacy. On the other hand, hitting a club longer would have been nice.

My Legacy prep was a huge step forward for me in my golf game, but it was a huge step on a very long road. My goal now is to work on a swing change through the summer and hopefully keep these distance gains. Then in the fall combine that with what I've learned about strategy and short game and see how low I can push my handicap by the end of the year. I feel like rounds under 90 is attainable for me at this point, which would be completely awesome. I told my coach back in January when I started lessons that my goal was to consistently break 100 this year, shoot mid-90's next year, and ultimately I wanted to be a teens handicap. Thanks to Legacy, I've already met the goal of shooting under 100 several times, and I bet with some more rounds going forward the consistent mid-90's will be happening pretty quick. I'm fired up to keep improving my game.

I can't even begin to think about it. But I have an Iowa outing this weekend, so I'm going to start there.

~Rock

Such good recaps, thanks to all of you for taking the time to post, it's great to relive the journey through your eyes/experiences

Well I've been at work for 2 hours and I've gotten nothing done, but I'm all caught up in here. Just really good stuff. Reading all this really gets you fired up to get out and work on your game. Thank you everyone for sharing the story of your Legacy. Looking forward to more.

McRock-Mr Rock. I had 0 idea what to expect golf wise from you in MB but you BROUGHT IT big time. The work you had done on your game was evident and it was awesome watching you battle back on Sunday for the win. While you had a very quiet and calm demeanor on the course, you could tell you were a very intense competitor and had the desire to do whatever it took to secure the win. Hopefully the Mrs enjoyed herself in MB, her one lines about Gregg and Jeremy not getting to “play all of the holes” on Saturday morning was EPIC.

It's a good thing I got in on the very first contest where I just had to pick a team then huh? Nothing like forcing myself onto your team. It's ok though, because I knew. Honestly, when you found out that I typically play a 2400 yard 9 hole course that isn't USGA rated, and that I had never ever had an official handicap, what were you thinking?

Thanks for the kind words Mike. I'm glad I could deliver for you.

And yes, my wife had a blast. She really had a good time riding around with Curtis's wife Saturday AM when Curtis and I were paired together. She saw the highs and lows of that round.

I believe she also asked Gregg and Jeremy why they "quit early." It was an honest question, she just was wondering why you didn't finish the 18 holes even if the match was over. But it was funny.

And don't forget when she referred to the Bridgestone putter covers as "cute" and "adorable."

~Rock

To JB and Morgan.

I don't even know how to thank you guys properly for the work put in and the event that you guys created. I mean for a handful of regular golfers from around the Continent to come play in a full on Ryder Cup style tournament and be handed a 14 club + swag deal is actually unbelievable. The people I tell about it don't believe me. The manager at PGA SS didn't believe me. It's UNBELIEVABLE.
You guys created an event that turned into the best golfing experience of my life, and I don't think it will ever be topped by anything. It brought out emotions and feelings in me that I thought were reserved for other milestones in life, but there they were.
I can only hope that I did the event right by you guys, and that you understand my level of gratitude.
Thank you from Connie and myself.

Dan:
Thank you for putting aside your life and work in order to come out and help the way you did. I have no idea the amount of backstage work that goes on, but I know JB and the rest of us were glad you were available to help out any way you could. I can tell you are a down to earth, sincere, and fun person to be around and I'm thrilled our paths got to cross in Myrtle Beach.

To JB and Morgan.

I don't even know how to thank you guys properly for the work put in and the event that you guys created. I mean for a handful of regular golfers from around the Continent to come play in a full on Ryder Cup style tournament and be handed a 14 club + swag deal is actually unbelievable. The people I tell about it don't believe me. The manager at PGA SS didn't believe me. It's UNBELIEVABLE.
You guys created an event that turned into the best golfing experience of my life, and I don't think it will ever be topped by anything. It brought out emotions and feelings in me that I thought were reserved for other milestones in life, but there they were.
I can only hope that I did the event right by you guys, and that you understand my level of gratitude.
Thank you from Connie and myself.

Dan:
Thank you for putting aside your life and work in order to come out and help the way you did. I have no idea the amount of backstage work that goes on, but I know JB and the rest of us were glad you were available to help out any way you could. I can tell you are a down to earth, sincere, and fun person to be around and I'm thrilled our paths got to cross in Myrtle Beach.

Thank you for the kind words and noticing how much goes into it.
The bolded sounds like a challenge...:angel:

I say bring the champs back and see if you can top it #Angelthingy

You're adorable...

#WorthAShot
#ToughTeamToBeat
#MyRecapWasEpic
#IsThisTheWrongThreadForHashtagContest

I feel like there aren't really any losers when you keep trying to top your previous best. :act-up:

Still lovin' the recaps. I do have 1 question for all the guys. What specific clubs w/shafts did you end up with? ie: D200 w/tour green stiff

Still lovin' the recaps. I do have 1 question for all the guys. What specific clubs w/shafts did you end up with? ie: D200 w/tour green stiff
Mine were straight-up stock D200s for the driver, 5W and hybrids. All Elements Chrome R. Irons were D200s with Tour 90 R.

Everybody got custom KBS shafts for their wedges--black for Bridgestone, white for Wilson Staff.

The only shaft they didn't have for me was the tour green for the D200 3w. They did put tour blue in it and I decided to give it a try, and I actually really liked the way the tour blue performed in it, so I'm just going to go with it.

~Rock

I went

Driver-Bridgestone 715 8.5 whiteboard d+ 70x

fairway- j15 15 degree same shaft as driver

Hybrid- j15 2 hybrid tour green x

Irons- j15 Cb 4-pw with c taper stiff

Wwdges- 50,54,58 with Black Kbs legacy shafts

Putter- td3 steel shaft.

Ball-B-330s

Posted just for Dev using Tapatalk

Sorry Ricky, never gets old

Spoiler

lmao. thrown to the side without even blinking. BTW I think you found the team you were looking for.

A return trip also means

#ChanceToRedeemThursLoss
#RichardPicPart2

My only regret from Thursday was actually feeling bad for you guys down 4 after 4.

#GuiltStrokes
#600YardAdvantage
#PlayingABrokenMan
#GuiltStrokesSoundsAwkward

Driver and 3 wood, I have the D200 with Tour Blue. Hybrid I have the D200 3H with Kuro Kage Black. Irons and wedges are exactly as stated in my signature WITB.

Part 3

Saturday: After a mediocre range session Patrick and myself got ourselves ready for the Dave and Dave duo. We named ourselves Team Napoleon due to our height and to get us pumped. I remember the match being very close through out. No one really had a huge lead throughout the match. Both fairband and Dave Alvarado were pretty deadly with there wedges and when it seemed we had a chance, we either could not take advantage or fairband and Dave Alvarado would bring there pro like short game and close that window. Going into the 16th, it was AS. Patrick had a long par putt and was away. Out of no where he drains 25 footer for par to get us the hole and go 1up. On the 17th he were able to push it to the 18th after a half. On the 18th I chunked my 2 hybrid off the tee and Patrick missed right along with both Daves. I had about 200 the green and rather then challenging the green with water to the right, I made the decision to lay up. It prove to be the right decision because we able to halve the hole and win our match. Now I had to race to Caledonia because my fearless captain thought it would be a good idea to have me tee off last in the AM and first in the PM.

When I get to Caledonia I was told that I had plenty of time before I teed off. I debated on hotdog for lunch but as Jeremy proved that was not going to happen. My afternoon round had Curtis and Me facing off Kevin and Brett. Curtis and me looked at each other and knew immediately that this was not going to be easy. I have played with Brett before he is solid player. Kevin is so dangerously good and to add fuel to the fire, he has a beautiful swing.

It didn't hit me till I got the tee box that I was teeing off first in front of everyone. For some reason I wasn't as nervous as I thought I would be. I hit nice cut and got myself in the fairway. This was going to be a back and forth match, literally. For the first 7 holes it was back forth, 1UP, AS, 1UP, AS etc. The 8th hole is the one that will stick with me forever and truly was the shot that created my Legacy. With the match AS, Curtis bombed a drive down the fairway and I was left with 195 to front pin position. I made the decision to go at the pin with a 4 hybrid. After Brett hit his shot, Curtis asked me, do you want to change the plans. I never looked at him, and simply said “no.” I went into my pre shot routine stepped up and hit a baby cut that started a little left. All I can do was scream at the ball, “be right, BE RIGHT!” I turned to Curtis and he had his arms up. When we got into the cart, we drove to the green. It was there I realized that I had forgotten about the water about 10 yards in front of the green. I looked at Curtis and said, “I totally forgot about that water.” He responded, “Who cares, you just stuck a hybrid 6 ft for eagle!!” We would win that hole, and go one to build a 3UP lead. Things started to looked good but Kevin and Brett got it to within 1. It was very upsetting for us, especially after Curtis told me that Kevin had done the exact something to him in the AM match. We hung in there though, and closed the match on the 16th after me him went back and forth on which club I needed to hit to get on the green.

Saturday was definitely full of highs and lows, but being able to put 2 points for my team was something I was proud of. That evening before dinner we had team meeting with Mike, who wanted to discuss his plans for going into the Sunday singles. It was then his plan was too put my out first. I was a little shocked but I understood where he was coming from. I told him that I would be ready for it. At dinner I waited for JB to announce who I would be playing. He announced that I would be Kevin Sunday morning. I went over to Kevin to shake his hand, and looked me in the eye and told me, “lets go play a good round of golf.”

Love the details of the matches since I wasn't able to see all of the holes

I requested the Tour Green in stiff for the driver, but received the Tour Blue instead. The Blue performed really well as long as I didn't get overly aggressive. When I did I got an overcooked draw that put me in trouble.
When I was able to swing within myself, I was rewarded with a piercing draw.

Part 3

Saturday: After a mediocre range session Patrick and myself got ourselves ready for the Dave and Dave duo. We named ourselves Team Napoleon due to our height and to get us pumped. I remember the match being very close through out. No one really had a huge lead throughout the match. Both fairband and Dave Alvarado were pretty deadly with there wedges and when it seemed we had a chance, we either could not take advantage or fairband and Dave Alvarado would bring there pro like short game and close that window. Going into the 16th, it was AS. Patrick had a long par putt and was away. Out of no where he drains 25 footer for par to get us the hole and go 1up. On the 17th he were able to push it to the 18th after a half. On the 18th I chunked my 2 hybrid off the tee and Patrick missed right along with both Daves. I had about 200 the green and rather then challenging the green with water to the right, I made the decision to lay up. It prove to be the right decision because we able to halve the hole and win our match. Now I had to race to Caledonia because my fearless captain thought it would be a good idea to have me tee off last in the AM and first in the PM.

When I get to Caledonia I was told that I had plenty of time before I teed off. I debated on hotdog for lunch but as Jeremy proved that was not going to happen. My afternoon round had Curtis and Me facing off Kevin and Brett. Curtis and me looked at each other and knew immediately that this was not going to be easy. I have played with Brett before he is solid player. Kevin is so dangerously good and to add fuel to the fire, he has a beautiful swing.

It didn't hit me till I got the tee box that I was teeing off first in front of everyone. For some reason I wasn't as nervous as I thought I would be. I hit nice cut and got myself in the fairway. This was going to be a back and forth match, literally. For the first 7 holes it was back forth, 1UP, AS, 1UP, AS etc. The 8th hole is the one that will stick with me forever and truly was the shot that created my Legacy. With the match AS, Curtis bombed a drive down the fairway and I was left with 195 to front pin position. I made the decision to go at the pin with a 4 hybrid. After Brett hit his shot, Curtis asked me, do you want to change the plans. I never looked at him, and simply said “no.” I went into my pre shot routine stepped up and hit a baby cut that started a little left. All I can do was scream at the ball, “be right, BE RIGHT!” I turned to Curtis and he had his arms up. When we got into the cart, we drove to the green. It was there I realized that I had forgotten about the water about 10 yards in front of the green. I looked at Curtis and said, “I totally forgot about that water.” He responded, “Who cares, you just stuck a hybrid 6 ft for eagle!!” We would win that hole, and go one to build a 3UP lead. Things started to looked good but Kevin and Brett got it to within 1. It was very upsetting for us, especially after Curtis told me that Kevin had done the exact something to him in the AM match. We hung in there though, and closed the match on the 16th after me him went back and forth on which club I needed to hit to get on the green.

Saturday was definitely full of highs and lows, but being able to put 2 points for my team was something I was proud of. That evening before dinner we had team meeting with Mike, who wanted to discuss his plans for going into the Sunday singles. It was then his plan was too put my out first. I was a little shocked but I understood where he was coming from. I told him that I would be ready for it. At dinner I waited for JB to announce who I would be playing. He announced that I would be Kevin Sunday morning. I went over to Kevin to shake his hand, and looked me in the eye and told me, “lets go play a good round of golf.”
Hell yeah buddy. That shot was simply perfect and one I'll never forget.

Back