How often do you use your 3 wood?

It's the one spot in my bag I can't get comfortable with at all. On average probably hit 4-5 times per round. Will use on short par 4s or if I need a long second shot, have a great lie, and no trouble on the left side.

Two weeks ago used it to tee off on no less than four par 4s, beautiful straight long shots. Went out this weekend and had the absolute shanks with it. Bought a new one yesterday:)

Not ashamed to say that as of right now my 3W is the club I'm least comfortable with. I think its all mental because it was a complete slice machine for me at one point.

I think whenever I csn somewhat master the stinger 3W shot my scores will drastically drop.

I took it out of the bag and don't plan on buying a new one.

I cannot hit my 3W off the deck consistently. I can with my 5W. And my 3W just typically goes too far for me and my home course. My home course typically calls for driver 95% of the time, and when it doesn't call for driver, I need to drive it like 220-230. That's 5W for me, not 3W.

Not that often, basically I only use it off the tee on long tight holes(that's what she said). I used to be able to hit it off the deck but I lost about 5mph SS the past year and I think with the slower speed I'm just not generating enough force to get the proper flight, it just doesn't get high enough. Which is why I've been meaning to get rid of it for a HL3W/4W like an 18* but I just haven't gotten around to it. So for the meantime it basically hardly gets used.

I will use it often enough on tee shots where I don't have the need for or when its not practical for my driver. As for the fairway? I will only use it when the shot is a less risky one and the need to use it presents itself. If on a par5 and I cant reach the green in two anyway, then I may as well use a club I have better success with for putting me in good position to then hit into the green.

For some reason I do not hit my 3wood as far as I once did. In fact my 5wood can often be just as far. I have a big gap between my 3wood and my driver I don't really know why. But none the less I do often use it for shorter tee shots when I have no need for driver.

3w is a streaky club for me. When I hit it well, I talk about pulling my driver out of my bag. When I hit it poorly, it's bad. When I'm hitting it solidly, I hit 3w 6 to 9 times a round, depending on par 5 drives. On the other hand, when I can't make contact I won't use it at all.

I use it little enough that I am considering a mini driver instead. It's pretty rare for me to hit it off the deck, and my 19º hybrid isn't far behind distance wise there it could fill that role well enough.

I played yesterday and never took it out of the bag. Hit my driver just as accurate as I could have with the 3W.

I love my 3 wood. Use it about 5-7 times a round

2-5 times per round depending I'd estimate. Tee alternative for me primarily, but I'll hit it off the deck from time to time.

I took the 3W out of my bag a while back and don't game it at all anymore. I use a 5W instead.

My current bag setup:

Dr, 5w, 4h, 6i, 7i, 8i, 9i, PW, GW, 52*, 56*, Pu

That leaves two open spots to flex in whatever, or just go with a lighter bag.

Incidentally I came up with that setup by actually hitting all my clubs on a launch monitor. That's where I discovered that I was hitting my 3W and 5W about the same distance because I can't really hit a 3W. I also found that I hit a 5i about the same as a 6i, and 3i and 4i I couldn't hit consistently at all, so those came out of the bag. I have pretty wide gaps between the clubs at the top of my bag, but in practice I haven't really noticed much of an issue. I'm usually either 5W length out, or I'm close enough to my 6i range that I can either reach the green or set up for a short chip-on. The hybrid doesn't get much play. I only keep it in the bag as a tee club for long par 3s.

I've also taken the 3W out of my bag. My 3H has good enough to get me where I need to be when my driver is too long.

That being said, I am waiting for a "Heavenwood" to come up on Callaway Pre-Owned in lefty to give one of those a shot.

It's the longest club in my bag. I'll get anywhere from 230-270 total distance, and mostly all playable for the second shots. It won't be long until I give up on the driver experiment again.

Out here, not much really. On normal course, more so...just depends on the course.

Longest club in my bag is a 3h. Can't find good use for anything longer than that. (This is excluding driver)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use my 3w religiously, there are very few holes that deny me the use of a 3w. I have no problem hitting one off deck too on par 5 as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't gotten much use out of mine, I hit my driver just as straight and it is more forgiving. I need more practice off the deck before I try it during a round.

On my home course I hit my 2 or 4 wood off the tee on all but 3 holes if I'm playing the 6640 yd tees. Off the back a 6980 yds I will still hit my 2Deep on 7 holes. The last couple rounds on 2 different courses I hit my driver 5 and 4 times respectively. I'm thinking of adding the Callaway mini driver but I've been hitting my 2Deep so wells that I haven't bothered yet. I'll probably wait until I can find one cheap on eBay.

Started using it much more lately. I recently picked up a "used" TE Exotics CB Pro 3 wood off of eBay from Tour Edge' ebay dealer. (and I use quotes because there's no way this club was used. Didn't have as much as a scuff anywhere on it... even the sole. I think it was brand new and just didn't sell...funny how a 500 dollar MSRP club doesn't sell brand new..) Anyhow, this club is a beast. Put a half way decent swing on it and it goes long. I play it off the tee more than my driver now and it's probably only 10 yards or so shorter. I feel like I am hitting my driver better now too because I don't have the pressure of knowing that I can't compete on a day when it's off.

The only issue is that now that I have discovered this club, and a re-discovered ability to hit my 4 iron is that have too many clubs that I regularly use. I have been moving my 4 wood, 4 iron, 3 hybrid and 60 degree wedge in and out of the bag now depending on how I feel and depending on the course. Don't get me wrong it's a good problem to have, but it always makes for interesting pre-round decisions

Oddly enough because I'm the one that started this thread, I decided to take my 3W to the driving range and really get some reps in with it, and I've started hitting it really well. I used it a ton today, including a couple of 100 yard punch shots (one onto the green and the other about 10 yards off) where I had to keep it low to get under some tree branches. I'm definitely going to keep it in the bag for the time being.

Zero.

for some reason, I've never had a 3w I felt comfortable hitting. Give me a 2h all day.

I haven't really thought about it until today but it turns out I don't use it much at all. I'm going to be selling my 3W and instead go with 2 hybrids at the top of the bag.

Last edited:
Back