THP Regional Rivalry - DC/MD/VA vs Carolinas Sponsored By True Temper

Interesting twist to this will be what format are we playing. If you give a putt you and your partner should be on the same page about it in my mind.
Hahaha we don't want to see a repeat of the Solheim Cup event:)

I will have a mutual respect for whoever I am playing. Making them make a short one is one thing but tap ins and super close is another.
If I'm playing you... No soup for you! I kid i kid

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Got a practice round in today with cnosil and G$$$. First time I had met these guys and I had fun. Did not play my best golf but had some good swings. Even with the poor golf I played today I still had fun with them.

I think there were times of struggle from all players. I was fun getting out with lynchburg14 and G$$$ today and starting to build some potential team comradery. RNK was playing tough (not sure when it doesn't) with wet fairways and 20MPH winds. Overall I was happy with most of my game, really need to work on hitting more greens or doing better on getting up and down when I don't. With lots of distance between some of the holes it gives you lots of time to dwell on those poor shots.

New question:

How will you handle the "good - good" (giving of a putt) while playing in this event? Do you have a strategy to using them.

This is a really tough one. Early in the round I think things are a bit more forgiving. After a few holes, I will certainly give putts where they should be given but I never expect that any putt will be given to me and my opponent should approach it the same way.

At the end of the day we should be having fun and enjoying this wonderful community first and foremost but you better believe I want to win for my team and will make you putt that six footer for the hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Most have summed it well, but I quoted Molten, because he hit it on the head when he said community first and foremost..I almost think he should have bolded that part....wait I'll do it for him.!!

While my strategy in past events in singles play had been to give a few knee knockers early and then make them putt and earn it later in the match. That may or may not apply hear.

I will remember the friendships made at this event long after I've forgotten the results. So I wouldn't pull any gamesmanship that could possibly spoil that.

Having said that, I agree the partners need to discuss early and be in agreement, maybe a quick head nod to each other before saying it's good to the other side.

Having played in a handful of THP Events, I've never seen it be an issue.

Like some have said, giving putts depends upon the moment in time in the round.
What's the score?
How are my competitors putting?
If I'm down 3 with 4 to play, I'm sure I won't be giving him many "inside the leather" ... gonna have to putt them out I think.
A lot of factors but it's all in a fun day of making it around the course with some fun guys. Somebody has to win and somebody has to lose.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I think there were times of struggle from all players. I was fun getting out with lynchburg14 and G$$$ today and starting to build some potential team comradery. RNK was playing tough (not sure when it doesn't) with wet fairways and 20MPH winds. Overall I was happy with most of my game, really need to work on hitting more greens or doing better on getting up and down when I don't. With lots of distance between some of the holes it gives you lots of time to dwell on those poor shots.

Short game work always pays the bills brother. The time between holes could be used to put it behind you. The good, the bad, and the Ugly :)

This was posted in the live round thread. The sign in the golf carts at RNK provides some great advice for those from the Carolina's so I wanted to make sure it got posted here.

f90f68091582d9d3b75fd54950f3557c.jpg

This was posted in the live round thread. The sign in the golf carts at RNK provides some great advice for those from the Carolina's so I wanted to make sure it got posted here.

MANY of the courses down here have "warnings" like that in the cart nothing we havent seen before :alien:

So your saying I may need more than 3 balls in my bag?

It is a very DMV friendly course. I made it around with 2 today.

Hmph, I deal with things sporting biohazard symbols all day. Childs play ...

Hmph, I deal with things sporting biohazard symbols all day. Childs play ...

Ha it's funny because it's true. I have to throw the flag - you are too comfortable with biohazards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got a practice round in today with cnosil and G$$$. First time I had met these guys and I had fun. Did not play my best golf but had some good swings. Even with the poor golf I played today I still had fun with them.

It was definitely a lot of fun today. Enjoyed meeting you and Chris. Look forward to other opportunities to get in a round.

RNK is going to be an interesting test for RR... even without the steady 25mph winds and gusts much higher that we saw today.

For those that are worried about getting on a Team, perhaps you're focused on the wrong thing.

I usually do focus on all the wrong things. Strike two.

It is a very DMV friendly course. I made it around with 2 today.

May want to throw in a second sleeve, just in case... for your partner of course... you know kind of like having the rain gear and umbrella ready to go and the called for rain never comes...

If the round is progressing smoothly and my group isn't holding anyone up, I don't think putts need to be given. It would probably be to my opponents advantage to not give putts either, as my recent putting game makes clear.
:alien:
New question:

How will you handle the "good - good" (giving of a putt) while playing in this event? Do you have a strategy to using them.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Haha that's awesome, I can't wait to play it again.

New question:

A lot will depend on the match and what my partner thinks. I think before hand I would have a strategy session with the captain and my partner to see how we want to approach it. Everyone wants to have a good time and have a friendly round but, in the end it is a competition and nobody wants to lose.

When playing with a partner what kind of things do you want to hear from your partner? How much information do you give your partner?

When playing with a partner what kind of things do you want to hear from your partner? How much information do you give your partner?

I like to hear positive things. There will issues with shots, of course, but a "can do attitude" is very helpful. Don't want to hear about the hazard on the left but more of the wide fairway on the right.
I also like a friendly banter going all the time to keep things loose.

A lot will depend on the match and what my partner thinks. I think before hand I would have a strategy session with the captain and my partner to see how we want to approach it. Everyone wants to have a good time and have a friendly round but, in the end it is a competition and nobody wants to lose.

I think this is a great way to handle the situation!!

New question:

Giving putts is dependent on person putting and what he/she has done on similar putts, situation in the match as well as the hole. I like to see people putt early to get a feel for their putting game and then use that to judge whether to give one. I believe partners should discuss before putts are conceded.

it varies for me. I don't normally want swing advice on the course unless I'm struggling and ask my partner if he notices anything. In team golf I want the discussions to be about strategy/approach to a hole. Where ad if needs positive reinforcement and help in reading a putt if confused or thoughts on what shot to play.

Back