Are you accurate with a fairway wood?

Jackal

Reaction score
Handicap
In another thread we were talking about long par 3's.
I can hit a 5 wood around 225-230 yards.
On a 225 par 3, I hit a 5 wood.
It might land on the green, in front and roll on the green.
Also, it could be a little left or right of the green.
Do any of you hit a _ wood accurate enought to drop it on a certain distance green everytime?

no way. distance is inconsistent as is direction. big margin of error from that far away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can hit my 3w 100-250 yards with a 90* spread...unguided missle

I'm decently accurate with one off the tee (at least compared to the driver) but I'm really not very good off the grass so if I have a long shot from the fairway I'll go down to my 19* hybrid or lay up to a number

More accurate with the 5W vs the 3W. Distance wise I am pretty consistent with it, but accuracy can be questionable sometimes.

Im as accurate (proportionally so) as my other clubs. The longer the club, the more the dispersion.

No. I gave up on fairway woods. Carry a 16 and 19 hybrid.

With low profile I'm very accurate. Playing the new G400 17.5 and it is deadly off the tee and deck. I don't know what could knock it out right now.

I've been working hard on it so I have a more accurate alternative to driver without sacrificing 40 yards, but I honestly can't claim to be accurate with anything.

I've played before and seen people hit a 7 wood high, and it stick in the middle of the green with very little roll.
They joked and said it was an accident, but they looked pretty confident when they hit it.
I don't know if that was the norm or not.

Depends on the day hahaha

Depends on the day hahaha

This is basically me, but kind of to the rails - it's either one of the strongest clubs (like it was today, save for the topped ball), or the weakest in the bag.

This is basically me, but kind of to the rails - it's either one of the strongest clubs (like it was today, save for the topped ball), or the weakest in the bag.

Yessir.....

No I don't hit my 4 wood or 5 iron consistently. I've pondered putting my 17* Sonartec hybrid back in the bag and buying a 5 iron replacement.

I was today with my 3w - 260 and straight all day long. Other days it's snap hook or big slice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been working hard on reducing dispersion. The 4-iron and 3-metal off the deck get the most practice work, because they are the toughest clubs in my bag to hit accurately. I've seen huge improvement. It's becoming quite the weapon. Yesterday I had a drive on a downhill par 5 that I hit well, but for some reason when it landed I got little rollout. So I was 260 yards from the hole. I only hit my 3-metal about 220 yards, but this was significantly downhill. Problem is the fairway narrows to 10 feet wide for the last 70 yards. Hit a rocket right at the chute. Came up short of the green, but went right down the middle of that 10 foot fairway. Now that was exceptional. But the fact is I'm at the point where if I can reach the green with that club I will put it on the green about 50% of the time. That is a great place to be.

I am accurate with my 3 wood....occasionally...lol.

Love it off the tee high and straight. Hate it off the turf low and wide.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

In another thread we were talking about long par 3's.

Do any of you hit a _ wood accurate enought to drop it on a certain distance green everytime?

Hahaha everytime eh? Well I'm out. But I'd be out with my sand wedge too, unfortunately. I only carry a 3W and I'd say that I'm decently accurate with it for my skill level. I'll completely botch some attempts and have a few great shots too but most are at least decent enough. I've been tracking my approach shot attempts on many of my rounds the past 2-3 years. I'm only hitting GIR with 3W at a 23.3% clip (20/86) but that's right there with my other long approach shots. I'm 25% GIR with Driver, 24.6 with 16.5* hybo, 26.5% with 19.5* hybo, and 24.8% with 4iron. My 3W misses can be anywhere but almost half miss the green left and I'm almost 5X more likely to come up short than go over the green.

Hahaha everytime eh? Well I'm out. But I'd be out with my sand wedge too, unfortunately. I only carry a 3W and I'd say that I'm decently accurate with it for my skill level. I'll completely botch some attempts and have a few great shots too but most are at least decent enough. I've been tracking my approach shot attempts on many of my rounds the past 2-3 years. I'm only hitting GIR with 3W at a 23.3% clip (20/86) but that's right there with my other long approach shots. I'm 25% GIR with Driver, 24.6 with 16.5* hybo, 26.5% with 19.5* hybo, and 24.8% with 4iron. My 3W misses can be anywhere but almost half miss the green left and I'm almost 5X more likely to come up short than go over the green.

Lol! I guess I should have said regularly.
The same guy I witnessed the 7 wood shot with, his friends say he is deadly with his 9 wood.
His 7 wood went 160????? yards.
I would guess distance plays a big part.
A few degrees off from someone that hits a 3 wood 260 yards, or 190 yards is a lot.
1 degree is 5 ft at 100 yrds.

I am not.

I picked up a used Callaway Big bertha Heavenwood. I think it's a 20.5 degree wood with a slightly longer shaft. For a slower swing speed like mine, its really made a difference. More consistent contact and better chance of getting the ball in the air. I took all but one 24 degree hybrid out of the bag.

The game has changed for me. More consistent ball striking leading to more consistent scoring. Gonna stick with this until the wheels fall off next time. and theres always a next time.

I am more accurate with the driver than fairway, and far more accurate with my hybrid.

With the 11wd and 9wd I'm pretty accurate it has 15 yard draw and goes the same distance most of the time. I only carry 5wd now my carry on that club is 220. The 2 par 3 that I play I usually do well when the pin is in the back or right, too much temptation when it's back left. I'm pretty disciplined and usually stick with the plan but some of the pins are just too tempting.

Back