What is the best driver you have ever gamed? Brand, shaft, lengh & swing type.

Trevor68

Reaction score
Handicap
What is the best driver you have ever gamed? Brand, shaft, lengh & swing type.

What is longest, straightest driver you have ever used? Does not matter if it is new or old.

The best I have ever gamed is a friend's failed experiment!

It is a 45 inch, standard Aeroburner 10.5 head with a 70 gram Aldila Rogue Black. Dont know if it was tipped or its Swing weight, but this frankenmonster was meant for me.

I have a mid 90s SS with an aggressive transition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Titleist 913d2 with Diamana kai'li. Never should have parted with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Bertha Alpha 815, PX LZ Blue 6.0

I have a feeling my new Great Big Bertha with the PX LZ Red 6.0 is about to change my answer.

FlyZ+/DBD/J715...but hold that thought, something has caught my eye.

The one in my bag. I wouldnt have switched or play it, if it wasnt. Too many options to jump around constantly. Find something and jump right in and work on it.

The one in my bag. I wouldnt have switched or play it, if it wasnt. Too many options to jump around constantly. Find something and jump right in and work on it.

100% this...

I have a piece of crap MacGregor Tourney that I paid $37.50 for brand new.

After not hitting driver at all for the first 6 months I golfed, and then having a killer slice for a few months when I started practicing it...I figured that thing out.

I rewarded myself with a new driver for Christmas.
Horrible mistake.
After a few months of struggling with it, I bought a used i25 that I hit well.

I sent my old MacGregor Tourney up to Vancouver. I was reunited with it this summer, and went to the range with it after not touching it for almost a yr, and I was bombing that thing.

Its cheap, it's the 'wrong' flex, and the shaft seems to be really poor quality...I don't understand why I can hit it so much better than anything else.

Its $37.50 new; it's going to cost more than that to ship it back to me.

SLDR 460 12* - Stock Speeder 57, hit some bombs off the tee with it (one time I hit a 300yd drive, which is crazy for me). However my R15 460 10.5* with the same Speeder 57 shaft is just about the same and has more forgiveness.

My ping i25 that is in the bag. 45.5 inches tour stiff shaft. I wouldn't change if I didn't see an improvement.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 with an Aldila Rouge Silver Stiff shaft playing at 45.5" fit to me at the Grandaddy by the Callaway fitter.

It still requires a solid swing, but oh man when I catch it…

Callaway GBB with Aldilla Rougue i/o 60. Stiff flex playing at 9.0* and 45.5".

Cobra 414 comp.. would have kept it forever but technology keeps improving too much and after a while you almost have to upgrade.

I had an old Cleveland Quad Pro that was 9.5* and came with a stock stiff Grafaloy shaft... it looked like the Titleist drivers sold at the time

That was before they advertised the CC... may guess would be somewhere in the 400-420cc range.

I used to just crush that thinigs, and knew exactly where it would end up. SS was hovering around 106 back then...

She was a stunner.

00138367__2.jpeg

My current setup, Nike Vapor Pro with a glorious Project X Handcrafted one-off shaft made specifically for me. It's silly good. The shaft is flawless for my swing, and the wide adjustability of the FlexLoft allows me to adapt to incremental changes in my swing very easily. I haven't used it on my home courses yet, but even before I had this shaft in it I was finding places further down the fairway that I'd never seen before.

Runners up are TaylorMade R9 460 10.5 with C.Kua and Titleist 913D2 10.5 with Diamana S+. I still have all 3 of these drivers but sadly I really need to let one go...

My current setup: Callaway 815 DBD, with Diamana D+ Whiteboard 72g, stiff, 45"

Although I must say I really enjoyed the original R7 at the time.

ping ist 7* loft stiff shat, tour wrap grip

My current gamer is probably the best I've played.

Big Bertha Alpha with a PX HC LZ in 7.0 flex

But there's always better!

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 Double Black Diamond with a Fujikura Blur TS65 X Shaft playing at 44.75".

Titleist 910 D3 8.5*
Fujikura Motore F3 S shaft in standard length set to A2 - standard loft and lie
Golf Pride Tour Velvet grip

When I'm on, I can swing out of my shoes and still hit it fairly predictably. When I'm not, I just take an easy consistent swing and it just works. Hate to replace it, but I'm looking at 915 D4. Got a lot of swings on this stick and I'll never sell it. Not even for
QEqkwGf.gif

My next one

it's nice to be able to say "my current gamer" since i bounce around way more than i should. fly-z set to 10.5* draw, with graphite design tour ad mj6x playing at 45" with 3 wraps. but it wasn't fit to me, it's a buddy's specs and he has found something better for now. i'm so happy with this for right now, although i was also very happy with the kiyoshi gold 65 04 i had in there prior to, and it was playing 1" longer with no wraps (afaik). the head is fantastic for me, much better than the r1 and xtd i was playing prior to.

I'm currently using a TM Burner 2007 with a Project X 4.5 "A" shaft. It fits my swing and goes pretty straight and fairly long. I've had it for almost 9 years, but the shaft was put in only a couple of months ago. I also game a TM r7 CGB Max HT which goes pretty good.

Maltby CT 250 10.5, the original version. Even had the Maltby house brand shaft in it. Stiff flex tipped an inch. It was an absolute beast and straight as an arrow. Gamed it a year and gave it to my Brother. He still plays that club and has yet to find an equal.

I will say the Powerbilt in my bag now has proven in an 8 round stretch to be everything I need in a club. I'm still learning with it but it's as long and forgiving as anything I have played in a good 6 years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Today - soon to be rivaled....

Wilson Staff D200 9* with ProjectX Tour Blue 6.0 46".

Ping G30 LST with Tour 65 shaft.

Back