How individual is ball trajectory?

NewGlfr

Reaction score
Handicap
I've been watching some of the better ball strikers at the range and noticed that ball trajectory is hugely variable.

Obviously, I can't ask them what club they are hitting, but given the same carry distance, I see a very big difference in the height the ball goes. Or lack thereof.

Is there an optimum ball trajectory? I realize once good enough, you can control the trajectory to a degree (low stinger to avoid high cross winds, etc), but with all other variables being equal, is there an advantage to a certain trajectory or is it more to just get the ball where it needs to be distance wise by loft angle?

Jeez I hope I explained that somewhat coherently. Thanks!

The ball should go the same height (roughly) for every club in the bag. Check this out.

It's also really hard to tell if you are hitting all your clubs the same height. If you're looking at about 33 yard peak height, that looks a lot different visually for a driver than it does for a wedge or scoring iron.

One thing about the range is that for many players they're not trying to hit a "standard" shot. I'm hardly ever at the range saying I just want to hit "a shot out onto the range," especially not with a short iron or wedge when I'm practicing. I'm thinking about a low draw or a high shot or a driving trajectory. So while if something is hitting a "standard shot" they should get approximately the same height with all of their clubs, that may not be the case because even with the same club a guy on the range might be thinking that he wants to hit it "high" or "low" or "draw" or "fade" or some combination.

One thing about the range is that for many players they're not trying to hit a "standard" shot. I'm hardly ever at the range saying I just want to hit "a shot out onto the range," especially not with a short iron or wedge when I'm practicing. I'm thinking about a low draw or a high shot or a driving trajectory. So while if something is hitting a "standard shot" they should get approximately the same height with all of their clubs, that may not be the case because even with the same club a guy on the range might be thinking that he wants to hit it "high" or "low" or "draw" or "fade" or some combination.

Ahhhh, I see! I'm not that far along. I'm just trying to get the ball in the air!

If you watch a PGA tournament where they've got shot tracer on, you'll see all kinds of trajectories off the tee. Different players hit the ball different heights. But as TO says in the video above, all of your clubs should end up about the same height.

Are we supposed to be robots ?

LOL not robots, but there is a preferred technique, so why not a preferred outcome?

@mpeterson said it best above. the best in the world rarely hit the exact same as each other and i think they each exhibit a preferred technique. absent a swing flaw, i don't like the idea of anyone changing his natural trajectory to fit a particular mold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@mpeterson said it best above. the best in the world rarely hit the exact same as each other and i think they each exhibit a preferred technique. absent a swing flaw, i don't like the idea of anyone changing his natural trajectory to fit a particular mold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with this. A few guys I play with regularly think I hit it high (I don't) and will try my equipment to see if it'll help them gain some height. Then I'll play a round with someone like LB44 and see what 'high' might actually look like. I'd say most ams, especially those just starting out like you, tend toward hitting it too low to optimize their potential, but it's not a cookie cutter thing. There's a natural trajectory for you and I'm sure you'll get there because you are interested enough to ask a lot of good questions and dig it out. Professional lessons and fittings will accelerate the process and the levels your game ascends to. But the questions, the experiments, the learning to develop non-stock trajectories and shot shapes provide much of the satisfaction golf awards us.

Hit whatever way you can with consistency. I am told by almost every person I play with they have never seen anyone hit a ball as high as I do. But since I can hit it somewhat consistently and distance is not an issue for me I am fine with it even though it isn't ideal by some people's standards. Of course the wind wreaks havoc with it but that is a different story.

Back