Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver Preview Thread

Mike I thought the same thing on the face. James the toe is where I think I saw a bit more height as well. Curious to hear the answer on this. On that subject JAmes, have I read in the past thst a higher/deeper face is usually lower spinning than a shallow one. Or does thst not factor in at all.

The pictures look incredible. Now off to read the white paper. Sounds like there is some good info in it

edit: just read the link to the white paper. Really good read. Simple and informative. And according to the chart at the low end my ss, it's right on. I'm leaving about 25 yards on the table. Look forward to trying a fitting for this one.

The beauty of the club comes through well on the pictures James! I can see from the head shape this club could pack a ton of forgiveness on the toe. I'm still torn between this and the 816 DD. just means I'll have to hot both to see what is best fitting for me :)

I'm trying to figure out where the closest REAL fitter is to this "fitting desert" in which I live... This is the first time in awhile I'm excited about a launch! The 2014 BB has been amazing for me, so to think this could be better is fun!!!!

Those are awesome. I can't wait to try one out.

Jason Finley, how much closer is the sole weight to the face in the 816 vs the 815, and why? Spin reduction is one reason, I imagine...

Jason Finley, how much closer is the sole weight to the face in the 816 vs the 815, and why? Spin reduction is one reason, I imagine...

Well, not really a fair comparison as the sole weight in GBB is just that, a weight. In the 815 it was the gravity core so they are doing slightly different things. Yes, getting the CG lower is a part of the use of the sole screw in GBB but doing so in a way that still allows for the Driver to have a Low CG with maximum forgiveness. The MOI on the GBB is definitely higher than it was in the 815 models. Lower spin is important but not without the MOI.

This is a beauty to look at, and the difference in the picture's that Jman posted shows the subtle difference in the face size and crown....outside of the weight GC location and looks/design aside. With all these shaft upgrades, it's going to be hard to keep this from not ending up in my bag.

Another beautiful offering from Callaway.

Question, does this one not have the Gravity Core technology in it as well?
Or is that maybe in the next release to combine both the sliding weight and the Gravity Core?

Another beautiful offering from Callaway.

Question, does this one not have the Gravity Core technology in it as well?
Or is that maybe in the next release to combine both the sliding weight and the Gravity Core?

This one does not have the Gravity Core. The Gravity Core is a great technology and definitely has benefits to controlling spin and maximizing Ball Speed, it is only one way to make a good Driver. The GBB will offer increased forgiveness and allow for a simpler adjustability as well. More people will hit GBB significantly better.

Well, not really a fair comparison as the sole weight in GBB is just that, a weight. In the 815 it was the gravity core so they are doing slightly different things. Yes, getting the CG lower is a part of the use of the sole screw in GBB but doing so in a way that still allows for the Driver to have a Low CG with maximum forgiveness. The MOI on the GBB is definitely higher than it was in the 815 models. Lower spin is important but not without the MOI.

Thank you, Sir. "The MOI on the GBB is definitely higher," is music to my ears!!! Exactly what was missing from the 815 for me, vs my 2014 BB.

By chance, will there be a upgrade discount or trade in discount for anyone wanting to purchase a GBB or 816 DBD that has current 815 or XR drivers?

By chance, will there be a upgrade discount or trade in discount for anyone wanting to purchase a GBB or 816 DBD that has current 815 or XR drivers?

Saw on Facebook (in the comments) that a trade in bonus would be available and details would come soon. The comment was made by Callaway.

Give 'em hell!

Saw on Facebook (in the comments) that a trade in bonus would be available and details would come soon. The comment was made by Callaway.

Give 'em hell!

:banana::clapp:

Sounds like the XR I bought a little bit ago might be going byebye after Project X Handcrafted event.

:banana::clapp:

Sounds like the XR I bought a little bit ago might be going byebye after Project X Handcrafted event.

From what I read it didn't seem to apply to the XR but to the 815.

You have my attention Sir.
Seriously!! How could that not get somebody's attention.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Furyk moved into this driver this week.

Kind of giddy about this one.

2c8ccdc94878f61764cfc5dac92a973a.jpg

Yes!!

Oh boy... ASN21 I just put that on my calendar, thanks for posting.

Man. Long flight for a fitting day.

I hit one of these yesterday. Fantastic club. It had the Kuro Kage TiNi stiff shaft. Other clubs have a sliding weight, but this one seemed to make a big difference. It was more sensitive to me. Maybe the height of location in the clubhead.

Jack

I need to find one of these in San Diego ASAP

Carlsbad isn't 2 far away, could you make an appointment at the EPC? I have thought about heading down and trying to get fit by the pros there, but have no idea on the cost...

Back