Most Embarrassing Golf Moment

The younger and less wiser me had a bad temper. Was playing in a tournament hosted by the agency I worked for. Was having a few bad holes and after a a bad tee shot followed by a bad second shot, decided to walk onto the tree area and take some pretty aggressive swings not realizing the marshall was behind us.

He saw my bad second shot and understood and gave me a kind reminder of course etiquette

When I get frustrated I bend my clubs over my shoulder a little bit because it helps me relax...played a tournament at Chambers and was not playing well. On the 18th I did it with my PW and it snapped. I felt like crap because it was an accident but looked like I was throwing a fit. When I got home I found out the shaft was rusted throughout the inside -.-

2 come to mind quickly and they were both last year and involved #Grandaddy prep.

I met LordByron in chicago for a round and was playing pretty bad the front nine. Lost my drive on the first tee into the driving range and about hole 5 or 6 I think I developed the shanks all of a sudden where I hit a wedge about 90 degrees to the right about 4 times.

Then last year in the fabulous state of Ohio at the MI/OH shootout..On the first tee I hit my tee shot about 20 feet into some thick grass, then took about 4 or 5 shots to get it out of there.

I'm sure the guys must have thought "this guy is going to the #Grandaddy?"

Needless to say those showings provided me with some motivation to get rid of those nerves and perform better under pressure.

Lol I've had a few. One was when i was hitting a 9i into the green. A friend of my family (60yrs old) was standing about 10yds in front of me but off to the side quite a ways so he wasn't really in my view. He had his back to me taking some practice swings and i completely shanked my shot right into his lower back!!!! Omg i felt so freakin bad! Luckily he was ok and laughed it off but he couldn't believe i actually hit him lol. I also had my bag come unstrapped and fall off the cart which is pretty embarrassing

Middle school, before I really started playing a lot of golf. Hit a bad shot and threw my club up into the tree.... and it didn't come down. Awkward.

LIITA. The whole Sunday round. Was just horrid play on my part. Wife heckling me unmercifully the entire time didn't exactly help me right the ship either. She still manages to irritate me every time she says "How hard could it actually be, you just hit the ball with a stick."

I know we all have had at least one embarrassing moment on the golf course, or even at the range. What is yours?

Mine would probably be the time I was at the range, shanked a ball so bad that it went completely sideways hit the stack of golf balls in the bay next to me which cause them to go flying everywhere and one actually hit the person in the bay next to me.

Maybe you or josh would like to tell mine for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pulled my approach shot into a green and threw my PW up in the air above me in disgust. The PW got stuck in a branch way up in the tree and we couldn't get it down.

I had to go back about 2 hours later and get the wedge down out of the tree in front of an amused group of golfers.

Topped driver on the first tee at #theKing last year was pretty bad.

ok, have another. Was playing by myself one day, was not in a good mood. Hit a poor wedge shot, threw my wedge, but I pulled the wedge throw (much like I pulled the wedge thought, karma), wedge gets stuck in a tree. Tried to climb the tree, couldn't get to it. Went to local general store, asked for a telescoping pole, they asked me why. I went ahead and explained. Several store employees proceed to laugh at me, and they loan me their sign telescoping sign tool that people use to change out letters on signs. I got the wedge, returned the pole, more laughter ensued, I went home.

~Rock

Middle school, before I really started playing a lot of golf. Hit a bad shot and threw my club up into the tree.... and it didn't come down. Awkward.

Pulled my approach shot into a green and threw my PW up in the air above me in disgust. The PW got stuck in a branch way up in the tree and we couldn't get it down.

I had to go back about 2 hours later and get wedge down out of the tree in front of an amused group of golfers.

Maybe we need to start a 'club in the tree' support group.

~Rock

My dad once took me golfing with a bunch of higher up executives from his workplace. I had just recently shot a 77 playing with him and he was so blown away and impressed by it he felt the need to show me off to his upper-class buds.
He's literally talking about how I hit the ball 300 yards every time (never!) and how amazing a golfer I am on the first tee box. Needless to say I think I shanked and chilli dipped my way to a crowd easing 105 that afternoon.
I honestly wanted to cry and I felt so stupid embarrassing my dad like that... But what could I do? I tried so hard.

Even thinking about it now makes those awful feelings come back.

I'm sure it happened in Branson this year........and I don't remember it.

This happened when I was in my 20s. A foursome of attractive female college golfers were at an adjacent tee, and we were sort of trying to impress them. One of my friends turned the steering wheel of my cart while I was hitting. When I returned to the cart and hit the gas, the cart immediately steered dead right into the trash can, ball washer and cooler, knocking everything over and getting the trash can stuck under the cart. They had also unhooked my golf bag from the back of the cart, so it fell off at the same time. The ladies were not impressed.

This is phenomenal. I now have a new prank to pull on an unsuspecting partner.

Playing jr tournament on the first tee I had a big swing and a miss. D'oh

My golfing "career" is mostly a string of embarrassing moments. One of my favorites is the first lesson I was taking at this public range several years ago. There is a short fence that divides two sections of the range - I guess it is there to protect golfers on the other side of the range which is about 20 yards further up from the section I was at. The fence started about 10 yards in front of my station and maybe 30 degrees left of my target line. First swing, I proceed to hit the ball dead square on the fence post and the ball comes screaming back and across the feet of the guy in the station directly in front of me. The dude looks back and I swear takes a step towards me like he wants to fight me. The instructor tells the other guy to calm down as she shakes her head in amazement at that lovely shot.

I still go back to that range on occasion and I've had several other crazy bounces from other golfers almost hit me in the head (it's a multi-story range so you get people popping up drivers into the ceiling). I just laugh it off and remember that was me not too long ago.

Falling out of a bunker in Hilton Head. And Kinderlou.
Falling into a bunker in Myrtle Beach.
Trying to jump out of a bunker at University only for it to become a belly flop landing onto the top of the trap.
Twisting ankle stepping out of cart and rolling down a hill at Reunion.
The 20 yard, 3W topper off the 1st tee in front of 20 or so THPers.
Losing control of cart on a BIG hill wet with dew and nearly killing both of us @ Butternut Creek in north GA. On the flip side, my driving skills saved our arses. :alien:

Maybe we need to start a 'club in the tree' support group.

~Rock
I can join. Mission Inn. Cobra Amp driver.

I whiffed on a tee shot in front of a couple THPers of all people. I can't remember that ever happening before.

Playing as the guest for my friends Member/Guest Tourny. Approaching the green where they had the BBQ and smoking hot cart girls/bartenders setup behind the green. Had a tight lie 60 yard chip that I proceeded to skull over the green and careen off the BBQ coming to rest to the side of the mini bar the girls were staffing. From there I proceeded to flub another couple chips and sought the counsel of the drink girls in the form of a Bloody Mary.

At Rock Manor in Wilmington, DE when I was just starting in the game in college, I was taking practice swings on the first tee. I was by myself and they put me with three older guys that were playing as a 3-some. My last practice swing removed a divot the size of a NY Strip steak and planted it squarely over the right side of the face of one of the guys. It covered one side of his glasses making him look like Patchy the Pirate. I still cringe at the thought of that moment. There's nothing you can say, nothing you can do, nothing. They weren't all that cool about it. I learned to never swing a club in anyone's direction even if no ball is on the ground. :embarrassed:

I have a couple. At my local par three course there is a hole resembling the Sawgrass island hole #17. I hit my wedge shot on the green and casually tossed my wedge towards my bag. It took a funny hop and bounced into the water never to be seen again.
I have hit my driver so fat that the shaft snapped.
I've hit fat irons off a wet tee box and got covered in dirt

Thinking "I can make contact with the ball, I can get a shot here", while ignoring that it was on the side of a retention pond in the muck. Took a huge swing at it, and finished my round completely covered in mud from head to toe.

Hehe...I did the same thing with my putter in 9th grade. Felt like a total jacka$$ afterwards and learned my lesson.

My dad once took me golfing with a bunch of higher up executives from his workplace. I had just recently shot a 77 playing with him and he was so blown away and impressed by it he felt the need to show me off to his upper-class buds.
He's literally talking about how I hit the ball 300 yards every time (never!) and how amazing a golfer I am on the first tee box. Needless to say I think I shanked and chilli dipped my way to a crowd easing 105 that afternoon.
I honestly wanted to cry and I felt so stupid embarrassing my dad like that... But what could I do? I tried so hard.

Even thinking about it now makes those awful feelings come back.

Wow, that's tough dude. Talk about being massively put on the spot.

I played in a celebrity pro-am one time and got my butt kicked by a former game show host.

Back