Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
How many of you are long on your approaches shots from inside 100 yards? I ask because I played with my Dad and his crew and they were always way short. I asked them, after the round, why they take yardages when they are short. Each one had a different excuse, non of which made sense.

So I wonder, how many of you are ever long on your approach.

From 100 and in? Rarely.

There will be a time when I play and force myself to carry the pin on every shot into the green

I'm short more than I'm long, but there are definitely times when I'm past the green on the approach. A lot of the courses around here are absolute death if you're long, so I usually play to the middle instead of the back of the green in terms of yardage. A mishit (other than a thinned ball) will usually leave me front of the green or short.

When I miss from inside of 100yds my miss is always long. It drives me crazy when I do it as well. Call me crazy but I expect to be inside 15 20ft from that distance 100% of the time.

How short are they?

I'm short more often that I am long, but I see more greens that slope toward me than away. Unless I forget that I'm planning on only making a 3/4 swing and make a full swing instead; then it's just me being a dope.

I am usually a little long on shots where I need to hit a 3/4 shot or some other non full shot from 65-100yds. On full swings I'm usually short.

always short...shanks go to the right :)

For me it depends on pin position. Back pins I play a club that lands middle to back and for front pins I play a club that will land front to middle. Other considerations are what is in front or behind the green.

The only time I'm usually long is if I hit the ball dead on perfect. I usually don't so I started to take more club. For those rare occasions I go long I just deal with it.

Pretty much always short. I always think I'm trying to get to cute with it.

Almost never long.....enough. I was at the 100 yard marker today and flew the pin, but that's only because it was in front and I didn't shoot it. Flew about 95, so I was still short of 100 :beat-up:

JM

I am occasionally long, but try not to be. Most greens slope back to front so being a little short is better than long. I try to be pin high or below the hole.

If I'm ever long from 100 yards or so it's because I thinned it. My miss from that range is generally a little short.

Depends. I have been known to chunk a shot before, but I've been working on that. Sometimes I'm intentionally short of the pin to have a better look at the putt (uphill or whatever). However, I normally hit it fairly close to pin high, or slightly long when I don't do either of the others.

Give 'em hell!

This one of the things I like about Game Golf my perception of what I do and what I actually do are backed up by numbers.

Inside 100 yards I am 25% short, 56% land on the green and 7% long. The remaining 8% are split left and right of the green. Some of the short and long is intentional, I can not play out of bunkers. If there are bunkers surrounding the front I try to hit long, if they are at the back I try to hit the green or come up short. I'd rather have a extra shot chipping on than 2,3,4 shots trying to get out a bunker.

I am often long due to roll out to back fringe.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

My problem is I try to get too delicate and land it below the hole. It's a bad habit and frankly and expectation I shouldn't have of myself. I've started taking another club when I don't feel like I will take a full swing. If that makes sense.

I had 5 of these shots during today's round. 1 pin high, 2 short and 2 long. I don't recall normally having gang many go long. Also, if we extend the qualifying distance out to 150 then I had a handful more that came up short during today's round.

Last edited:
70-100, maybe 60/40 favoring short. inside 70, probably 75/25 favoring short, usually because contact issues.

it's frustrating, but I guess if I had to pick a miss it would be short. at least I know where the damn thing is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rarely am I long. I should be longer more often honestly.

At least then I would give myself a chance more often. Too often I end up just on the front of a green, leaving myself too long of a 1st putt.

Usually short on these....I am starting to talk one flu extra as when I try to get all of it I catch it fat /steeply Unless I skull it hahaha

Im short most of the time. Clearly im not hitting it far enough.

At my home course it would be more short than long as most of the greens have trouble or OOB behind them. There are a few with trouble short so my miss there would be better long but I always make sure I take enough club for the front distance on my GPS

I tend to be long most of the time because my lowest full wedge gies 104. Everything inside 100 is less than full so I'm not consistent. It's the part of my game I lose the most strokes.

Isnide of 100? 50/50... I think for me the qualifying distance is 85 yards, if the target is longer than 85 yards I'm usually long anything inside of that my miss is typically short.

(I try not to get inside of 85 yards, usually try and play to a number)

Back