Callaway GBB Epic Star Driver

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
New driver from Callaway Golf hitting the premium market segment called the GBB Epic Star. Featuring Jailbreak, like the Epic, this model was originally designed for Japan and is the current #1 selling model there.

THP TV sits down with Dave Neville from Callaway Golf and discusses all of the features that make the Star model unique to the Epic lineup.

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/callaway-gbb-epic-star-driver/

This driver sounds pretty incredible. Something I could I could very well see my self using. Same tech as the epic in a much lighter package. Could be a best of a club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hit an Epic for the first time last weekend thanks to some new THP friends. Loved it. I'm hoping to be able to put one in the bag before next season. The Epic Star kicks it up another notch for sure. Beautiful design. I'll be checking this video out first thing tomorrow

I like the idea, and I'm sure there's a market for it. I like the looks for sure, but not quite as much as my blue one!

Great explanation of the product, what it's designed to do, and how it's being distributed by DNevs. Short and to the point and really answers most of the questions that were being asked about the Epic Star. I don't think they'll have any problem selling the limited amount of these that will be available here in the states.

Great video with very pointed and clear explanations. I can see these being a hit with ladies and seniors. Won't be long until I will be part of the target audience for a line such as this. Love the classy looks of this driver also.

Very good interview there with Dnevs. At the end he does say you can customize it, all of their up charge shafts would be available, but I'm thinking this shaft is already pretty primo.

Definitely want to try it. Sounds like it might be tough to find one based on distribution but we will aee.

Interesting but I don't see the need for it. And the shaft weight in the 40s seems weird. I won't try it but I'm sure it will sell well.

Nice review, but not sure how it will make a big difference from the Epic released recently. It looks like it will $699 based on the Callaway web site. I could be wrong, but much more than the Epic.

I don't think the EPIC was developed with this specific demographic in mind. XXIO Prime and Cobra F-Max was designed around the specific needs of the target demographic.
This looks like an EPIC head with less features and a lighter sliding weight, with a huge premium in price.
Any difference in internal weighting or materials used for the head?

Ok I watched the video, and understand that this is a niche offering with a very specific target demographic.

This driver is ultra premium for golfers with slower swing speeds (70-80 MPH), but isn't adjustable, making proper shaft fitting more difficult (right?). At a higher price point, the lack of adjustability has to be a concern of the people buying this driver at this price point. Am I missing something, here?

I wish more JDM stuff would make it over to NA, especially the big OEM stuff

Ok I watched the video, and understand that this is a niche offering with a very specific target demographic.

This driver is ultra premium for golfers with slower swing speeds (70-80 MPH), but isn't adjustable, making proper shaft fitting more difficult (right?). At a higher price point, the lack of adjustability has to be a concern of the people buying this driver at this price point. Am I missing something, here?

For the target audience, most golfers won't need a fitting or special adjustments. The lightweight shaft and head will provide the necessary launch and spin to provide beneficial results for the golfer.

Definitely want to try it. Sounds like it might be tough to find one based on distribution but we will aee.

Gut feeling is you will be at a place where they might have a head for you to at least hit.

Nice review, but not sure how it will make a big difference from the Epic released recently. It looks like it will $699 based on the Callaway web site. I could be wrong, but much more than the Epic.

I definitely recommend watching the video linked in the first post. It talks price and answers all of your questions.

Gut feeling is you will be at a place where they might have a head for you to at least hit.

I definitely recommend watching the video linked in the first post. It talks price and answers all of your questions.

I'm liking the sound of that

Interesting concept and I can definitely see the market it for it. It'd be neat to try it out since I usually like the lighter weighted clubs.

I'm liking the sound of that

You'll definitely have no issue launching the ball with the stock set up.

I will be curious to put this and XXIO prime together for some fun. I still like a higher launching head in my 2nd driver spot.

I will be curious to put this and XXIO prime together for some fun. I still like a higher launching head in my 2nd driver spot.

Really looking forward to this comparison as I feel like it targets the same golfer

Head to head I preferred the epic over the XXIO

Head to head I preferred the epic over the XXIO

Reasoning? Give me more : )
I would assume one is wildly more spinny due to the design of the head and including its more shallow head.

I was convinced I would own the XXIO Prime after hitting it at the mini event, just never seemed to be able to pull it together.

Now the Regular EPIC is doing very well but man if the Star gave me all the goodness of the EPIC and the Performance of the EPIC & the Prime...wow that might be an Old man's dream come true.

Reasoning? Give me more : )
I would assume one is wildly more spinny due to the design of the head and including its more shallow head.

Sorry I was mobile and didn't have time to sit and respond. My limited time with both had results that were not confirmed with numbers just feel and visual confirmation. For me using stock offerings the XXIO felt hotter but flew higher due to ballooning. The epic had a more piercing flight and longer carry. Both tended to draw on well struck shots but I consistently kept spinning out with the XXIO. Also the sound aspect goes to Epic because the xxio I was trying was ear piercing.

Thanks brother. I have spent tons of time with XXIO but have not hit star yet. That should change soon.

Back