Forward shaft lean at address

Asden105

Reaction score
Handicap
I think the setup with the irons is important.

The manufacturer when they build irons, the wedge lies naturally with forward shaft lean at address; in fact, with all irons, this is the case, except that with longer irons it's less, and with shorter irons it's more.

I've been addressing the ball with a vertical shaft, which decreases distance and increases spin as well as height. I tried today to have the manufacturer's natural loft on the club, and the ball flight lowered, and the ball went further by 20 yards. Whereas my normal 7 iron would carry 150, it was carrying 170. I also found that the ball rolled more, so that 7 iron would probably have gone 175-180. No increase in clubhead speed, and 25 yards further. I was also drawing the ball with my irons, which helped with that as well.

I also put the ball back in my stance naturally, because you can't get forward shaft lean at address without doing so.

Just a thought.

(Mind you, this shaft lean isn't much, maybe 5-10 degrees with mid irons, 12 degrees with wedge, and 5-7 degrees with long irons or woods.)

I almost want to say, yeah that's the way it should be by the sounds of what your explaining. Your hitting it correctly.
I mean ball flight is going to be lower farther back in your stance, the draw sounds correct.

I don't know how to explain it but I visualize what your saying.
Another way to think of it, I slightly position my hands forward without putting the ball back in my stance. I really do this on my wedges, I really go after them.
I tend to put the ball forward up off my front foot and my hands a little forward with my driver also.

I tend to notice this with all the pros. They have a slight forward lean with the shaft at address with irons. It's not much, but it's there.

Yes, but it's easy to overcook, just a little is perfect IMO. And for some shots like tight lie chips and bunkers I like none, upright is best for me.

Last edited:
I used to have the shaft at almost vertical at address then I bought the DST and watch some videos and it makes sense to have the forward shaft lean at address to eliminate the extra moves required to get the shaft in the correct position.

Lee Trevino is regarded as one of the best ball striker in the game also set his forward shaft lean at address for the same reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back