What type of teammate are you?

Six4three5

Tour Star...Layin' Up!
Reaction score
Handicap
2.5 GHIN
Watching the Euro Tour match play event got me thinking. Most THP events are team events, some stroke play some match play. With a rather big one coming up I thought it'd be a neat thread to talk discuss what time of teammate you are on the course.

Are you the quiet type that doesn't want a lot of talking and you and your teammate to handle business as usual?

More vocal type of player always encouraging your teammate trying to pump them up?

Depending on format would you prefer to always go first or second?

For me I'm pretty much the a mix of all. I've played on a lot of teams in various sports growing up so I can gel with just about anyone as far as teammates go. The only thing I will say that drives me nuts is a teammate who is always negative or saying sorry for bad shots. We're all human, we're all going to make mistakes, don't dwell on a poor shot, don't even have a negative thought about it when you're playing as part of a team. Just forget that shot and move on and plan how you're going to hit a great shot to recover.

Also I will say match play gets me a bit more fired up than anything else. I would definitely be a bit more fired up and vocal during a match play event than stroke.

Depends on my role at the time really.

I will say, I agree on the sorry thing, NEVER apologize for your shot in an event. I've told many of my partners in THP events this very thing, golf is hard, bad shots happen.

Last edited:
Also I will say match play gets me a bit more fired up than anything else. I would definitely be a bit more fired up and vocal during a match play event than stroke.

This. Id get more fired up for Match play.

But in general I'm the vocal always positive teammate. Don't dwell on bad shots and always try to find the positive. With that said, I also know when to keep quiet and just let a teammate cool off on their own when they need to.

Im definitely the encouraging type. I can't help but want everyone around me to do well but at the very least ill do everything i can to make sure the people around me are having fun. Nothing worse imo than dead silent partner thats crazy pissed off and just having an awful time and no one around them wants to be near them. Im a high fiver kinda guy haha

Agree with everything in the OP. Played in a pretty big local 2 person best ball tournament 3 years ago with a guy that I had played quite a bit of golf with. I always walk so never was with him and talking to him all day like we were riding in a cart for this tournament. It was a 2 day event and on the 9th hole of the first day he hits a poor chip shot for his third shot. He immediately started whining because he hit a PW instead of a GW for the ship shot. I parred the hole so told him to forget about it and move on. 5 holes later he was still whining about the shot so I finally asked him who it was that made the club selection and to please get past it and play golf. I have not teamed with him again and likely will never again.

I like good banter and encourage someone if they are struggling. Complimentary and high fives for good shots. I could careless about going first or second. The only thing I don't want someone to do is apologize for a bad shot. We all hit them, don't worry about it a good teammate will always will always accept the bad with the good and try to help by hitting a great next shot.

I'm vocal, like to keep things positive and fun. Even if not so great golf is being played, a great time can definitely still be had. And if you are playing bad, it's definitely a lot easier to turn it around if you stay upbeat and positive.

I don't like the sorry thing either, for anything team related really. Everyone is going to have good and bad days. As long as I'm having fun, that's all I really care about.

Also agree that match play is more fun. Love me some match play.

Good topic Jimmy. Looking forward to meeting you man.

I am a combo of quiet and talking. I try not to apologize for bad shots and if my teammate apologizes I let him/her know there is no need to apologize.

i am definitely one who encourages my teammate but u try to be cognizant of my teammate and what his approach is. I like to talk strategy with my teammate as we approach shots and figure out what's best for the shot in front of us.

I accept whatever ever role is needed...if I need to be the one to go first and try to get us in play then let my teammate go for it or I can be the one to go last.

Great question Jimmy. I am a lot like what Eric said above.

This year I've had the wonderful opportunity to be partnered with two fantastic golfers in two invitationals. We all three agreed at the outset, our primary goal was to have fun. Both of them being scratch golfers, did everything they could do to put me at ease on the first tee. It worked in Pittsburgh, but not so much in Kansas City...ha.

But once we get going, I am very positive and complimentary. One thing I learned a long time ago when playing with guys at that level, they expect to make good shots you have to be careful not to overdo it gushing at every 300 yard drive that splits the fairway :)

But I take my cue from them, if they want to talk a lot, i'm definitely up for that. if they are more focused and into there game (and neither one was in these two events) then I'll give them space and try to not to be distraction.

I'll try and lighten the mood with a humorous story or joke when appropriate and yes I try to follow the THP Golden Rule of never apologizing or getting upset after a bad shot.

I tend to just try and read the situation and respond appropriately. I play a lot of tournaments with my brother who tends to get negative and down if things aren't going great. It's my job to get lighten the mood with him. Otherwise, I'm typically more quiet and let my game do the talking until I'm needed to pipe up. As far as who goes first, etc; I'm really laid back and accept whatever I'm given.

I am a bit of both, not being the one talking all the time. But providing uncouragement when needed but also knowing when we both need to focus and barrel down. I am fine shooting first or second so depending on time in the match some may be more pressure packed but I am ready for both.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure where I sit on this topic, and I'm afraid to know hahaha

Depends on my role at the time really.

I will say, I agree on the sorry thing, NEVER apologize for your shot in an event. I've told many of my partners in THP events this very thing, golf is hard, bad shots happen.

I seriously thought I was the only person you said this to :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a team mate who never wants an apology for a bad shot. A bad shot is already over. The next one can always be great.

I want to have as much fun out there as possible, while winning or when losing, because you can't always come out on top.

I need to put everything into every shot. But in between shots I love just shooting the breeze, telling jokes, hanging out, and sharing a laugh.

I'm a supportive teammate. I'm an even keel kind of guy so take bad shots and bad holes in stride so try to help my teammate do the same. They are going to happen. I try to stay loose and keep my partner the same. I won't get too loud and the most demonstrative you'll see me is a high five or fist bump. Good sportsmanship is top priority.

I'm a supportive teammate. I'm an even keel kind of guy so take bad shots and bad holes in stride so try to help my teammate do the same. They are going to happen. I try to stay loose and keep my partner the same. I won't get too loud and the most demonstrative you'll see me is a high five or fist bump. Good sportsmanship is top priority.

I saw you get crunk at #TheKing last year. That was pretty cool, even though I wanted my buddy OG to make a run on the back 9. Seeing that passion pumped me up.

As for me, I'm definitely an encourager. Golf is a great game and I want everyone that tees it up with me to have a great time regardless of what their score is.

When it comes to a team event, I want the ball in my hands. Let me step up and hit the shot or stand over a putt. Going first or last doesn't bother me. The pressure is fun. I love that feeling in the pit of my stomach when it's a tight match and every shot is big.

I probably am too positive, I always talk and keep spirits high. Last thing I want is to be a grump on the course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't like quiet it droves me crazy. I'll talk a partner up if I feel it's needed. I feel like I can read people pretty well and can adapt accordingly.
Don't care when I hit doesn't matter to me at all.

And make no mistake as even keel as I am nothing drives me more than the desire to win

I've learned to try to just have fun. If we get too serious, bad things are likely to result, so I like to treat it like we're just out for a fun weekend round.

I'll play my heart out, but I won't lose my composure or sense of fun. I've learned that one the hard way.

I like to have fun, but I also like to talk about the shots when it's appropriate -- Especially when I'm hitting to a number for my teammate.

On the greens, I'm happy to read any putt requested, but I much prefer to make my own reads. I'm an awful putter when I second guess something (see: me on bermuda).

I'd like to think that I am the encouraging type, I believe in them and know that 2 people with the same goal can overcome just about anything.

I do apologize for bad shots though, especially if it costs us something.

I don't like quiet it droves me crazy. I'll talk a partner up if I feel it's needed. I feel like I can read people pretty well and can adapt accordingly.
Don't care when I hit doesn't matter to me at all.

And make no mistake as even keel as I am nothing drives me more than the desire to win
Yeah we showed Canadan and JB how we do.. Hahaha It's why I laughed the night before when you said you didn't care. I knew you were too competitive for that to be true.

Back