Looking For Testers: UST Mamiya Recoil SMACWRAP Shafts

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
At THP, we believe that testing should be done not only by us, but also by the golfers just like you. One of the cool features about being an active member of the THP Forum is that we look to you guys/gals, the consumers, to give feedback on equipment to golfers all around the world. Each month we send out iron sets, drivers, hybrids, putters, trainings aids and golf balls to our active members to be a part of the THP Forum Member testing.

UST-M.jpg

The Shafts
UST Mamiya Recoil shafts have been favorites of THPers, since the first test that was ever run when the prototypes came out and THPers got a chance to test them. Now, a brand new version is coming soon and the Recoil SMACWRAP has some intriguing features going on.

RECOIL 760/780 ES SMACWRAP vs. STEEL (191% less vibration)

RECOIL 760/780 ES SMACWRAP vs. Previous Generation Recoil (76% less vibration)

SMACWRAP viscoelastic material is able to bring a high amount of damping (vibration absorption) in composite structures when it is located strategically within a composite structure’s core. SMACWRAP optimizes noise and vibration damping at the source in a smart way without any need of add-on damping products.

UST Mamiya has SMACWRAP cured between layers of graphite in the butt section of the shaft.

Criteria
4 Testers total will be involved in this review and each receive a brand new set of shafts before most.
You must be able to play golf. Either on the course or in a practice facility.

Testing Process
If selected it will be your job to test the shafts out and update the review thread with feedback on your findings. This is long term testing and will need updates for an extended period of time (about 2 months). If you are looking for info on what forum testing feedback should look like, check out one of the many review threads to see how others have fared.

To participate you must be an active forum member or become an active forum member. Being active on THP has its benefits and product testing is one of them (monthly testing like this). If you are new, that is okay, being active is more than just tenure.

Rules
This is not a contest, so there really are no rules. All we ask is that you make a post in this thread and answer these questions. Please have an answer to all questions and be specific.

1. What make and model shafts do you currently have in your irons?
2. What do you usually look for in iron shafts?
3. Weight and flex preference in shafts?

Keep in mind if you are not chosen for this, there will be plenty of opportunities in the future here at THP for testing and other product trials. Stay active and you will have a chance to be part of these awesome testings we do here. This THP Forum Testing is open to anybody that is a forum member. If you are a 2017 Albatross Club member, shipping of the gear is free of charge, if you are not, you can still participate, but if chosen there could be shipping charges that apply. For information on the 2017 membership, that is open to anybody, click here.

Excellent! I fear the shaft would be way too light for me but look forward in seeing who the testers will be!

Oh my.... this could be god send for me if I get chosen.

1: Currently playing KBS C-Taper Lite S shafts in 6-GW & C-Taper 90 S in 5I. Have played Recoils for the previous 5 years
2: I want a stable platform that is going to launch medium to medium high
3: Ideally a mid 80-mid 90s weight, I have played regular or stiff and have not had any issues playing one way or the other other.

As a note, I am currently playing single length irons, so not sure if that is something UST is interested in testing these in or not. I am also looking at some conventional length irons that I could definitely test in as I feel like I have to get back to graphite since my elbows are killing me after several months of steel shafts, even with dampening inserts.

Ive done a lot of vibration dampening to protect an elbow issue and I think I've just been delaying the inevitable. Might be time to dive right into graphite!

1. Project X 6.0
2. Nice trajectory with optimum peak height along with soft feel
3. 125g and Stiff

Thanks for the opportunity THP and UST Mamiya

Oh wow. These sound awesome, would love to try them out!

1. What make and model shafts do you currently have in your irons? True Temper Reax 90 in my current irons (except 1. I have a graphite recoil in my 6 iron. It worked so I never changed it to fit the other irons).
2. What do you usually look for in iron shafts? Stability and anything that gets me max distance. I usually stayed away from Graphite because I could never find a shaft that gave me the distance I wanted, but the Recoil I put in the 6 iron blew those expectations out of the water.
3. Weight and flex preference in shafts? Prefer Stiff Flex and usually nothing above 90 grams. I'm getting old and weak.

These look to be a shaft I might like playing but as of now I don't have anything they would fit into. Good luck to those signing up.

Thank you THP and UST Mamiya for this fantastic testing opportunity.

1. What make and model shafts do you currently have in your irons? KBS TOUR 105
2. What do you usually look for in iron shafts? I look for the following in my irons shafts: Stiff tip section, higher cg, a shaft that provides higher ball spin and higher trajectory, I also like a slightly lighter weight shaft that helps me get the ball up as well, hence the answer to weight and flex below..
3. Weight and flex preference in shafts? 110 grams and Stiff please

Fingers crossed for this one, as I've only played steel in the past and I've been really intrigued by playing/trying graphite shafts.

• Admin
Ive done a lot of vibration dampening to protect an elbow issue and I think I've just been delaying the inevitable. Might be time to dive right into graphite!

1. Project X 6.0
2. Nice trajectory with optimum peak height along with soft feel
3. For recoils, 780 F5 would be the right fit according to their website.

Thanks for the opportunity THP and UST Mamiya

Just a quick note, the SMACWRAP models are different. So please give weight and flex. Thanks.

omg i just read this and teared up i have been wanting some graphite for my elbows and wrists but they cost so darn much and its hard with all these dang yungins sometime to take a chance they will help or not , smh lol so here goes
1. What make and model shafts do you currently have in your irons? nippon n.s. pro modus3 105
2. What do you usually look for in iron shafts? smooth and tight dispersion and distance
3. Weight and flex preference in shafts?well i think i rather have something a little heavier than the modus 105 maybe next step up in a stiff flex

ty ty ty ty ty for this opportunity !!!! thp is the bombdiggity

These look pretty sweet! I already game some Recoils so looking forward to hearing how some folks coming from steel like these.

Good luck to all that are entering! These will be sweet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a quick note, the SMACWRAP models are different. So please give weight and flex. Thanks.

edited. sorry bout that

Awesome. Looking forward to seeing who the testers are and what they think of these shafts.

I would love to do a review on these shafts, I played S300's for most of my golfing life until I started to experience "golfers elbow". At that time I switched to F4 110 recoils and they helped to alleviate my elbow problem. This season my elbow has flared up really bad, these could be a great answer for me. That is if their claims of reduced vibration prove to be true.

1. What make and model shafts do you currently have in your irons?
F4 Recoils 110

2. What do you usually look for in iron shafts?
Stability and vibration reduction

3. Weight and flex preference in shafts?
I have played 125 to 110 in the past but would like to go lighter. I like the F4s and could play a like flex or go a touch softer.

Thanks for the opportunity!

This is a fantastic opportunity. Have never tested or gamed graphite in irons, but have read about all the benefits from others on THP. Major hurricanes aside, I'm playing golf on a weekly basis and should get at least 1 range session per week as well. Would be able to test & provide feedback 2-3 days each week.

1. What make and model shafts do you currently have in your irons? I play C-Taper Lite in Regular flex

2. What do you usually look for in iron shafts? It's about ball flight, which is a combination of head and shaft, but I like to see stock flight as high as possible. On my off-swing days my launch lowers, and I feel I can flight the ball down fairly effectively if needed on my good swing days.

3. Weight and flex preference in shafts? I've never played graphite. If I were to guesstimate appropriate shaft from the 760/780 line, would probably go somewhere in the 70-80g range, regular flex.

Good luck everyone

What an exciting opportunity!

1. What make and model shafts do you currently have in your irons? Aldila Rogue Pro
2. What do you usually look for in iron shafts? Lightweight with a mid/high trajectory.
3. Weight and flex preference in shafts? Between 65-80 grams and R flex.

UST just keeps on innovating! I've got some Recoils I love already so I'm gonna stay out of this and let some other THP'ers enjoy all that is Recoils. I am interested in finding out more about them though as more info comes out. I believe these are the standard graphite option for the TM P790's, that's a pretty good start.

Have really been interested in recoils from hearing all of the success stories on the boards. Just purchased new irons, and without the ability to hit the recoils locally could not pull the trigger on them.

1. Currently gaming XP95's but hate them. Have irons on the way with Nippon 120x shafts that felt very very nice in a fitting.
2. Never really thought about it much until I got the XP95 and did not like it at all. I found that I like a little bit heavier of a shaft that produces a mid flight.
3. Previously played stiff stock irons shafts in taylormade, went with X flex with the 120.

Thanks for the opportunity THP and UST Mamiya!

1. Just installed Recoil 780 ES but was playing KBS Tour 90 most of the season.

2. I usually have looked for a good feeling weight that keeps me on plane with a mid to high ball flight. Consistent direction and distance are key. I switched to graphite to try to get better vibration dampening.

3. I have been comfortable playing 85 to 120 gram iron shafts. Stiff flex.

Good luck everyone!

I keep seeing these pop up and they look absolutely amazing and I want to get back into graphite irons and what better way than this! I loved the recoils on my Apex's
1. What make and model shafts do you currently have in your irons? KBS tour V-110
2. What do you usually look for in iron shafts? Usually something that is a mid torque and launch are the shafts best suited for my game
3. Weight and flex preference in shafts? I currently play a 110G shaft and feel these may be a bit to heavy for me so I've been looking to get something in the 85-95G range for graphites. In a stiff Flex

Just bought a 3 hybrid with a recoil shaft and love it.

Current iron shafts - Project X 5.5 R flex

I am a player that likes to flight the ball according to wind but as I have gotten older I have lost the ability to hit it high without losing considerable distance. I want to be able to hit them higher and control the distance. I can still flight it lower when needed.

My current shafts are very light but I have started to workout more in my retirement so I want to go a bit heavier. 65 gram Reg flex

1. What make and model shafts do you currently have in your irons? UST Recoil 110
2. What do you usually look for in iron shafts? Mid flight
3. Weight and flex preference in shafts? Stiff Shaft 95-110 range

Thanks so much for the opportunity!

1. What make and model shafts do you currently have in your irons? KBS $-Taper 120g S
2. What do you usually look for in iron shafts? Consistency throughout the swing, mid-spin/mid-launch, and general feel.
3. Weight and flex preference in shafts? Currently playing 120g, which might be a bit heavy for my liking. Something stiff in the 100g range would be great.

1. What make and model shafts do you currently have in your irons? Project X LZ Steel 6.0
2. What do you usually look for in iron shafts? Partial to feeling the shaft load without losing sense of where the club head is.High ball flight.
3. Weight and flex preference in shafts? 100-120g and stiff

This is a really interesting development. The Recoil shafts are already so great and provide so much dampening benefits vs. steel.

Back