First Ever Lesson on Friday... What Should I Expect?

cyoung2ty

Reaction score
Handicap
So, after years of avoiding lessons because I felt like I didn't play enough to have them 'stick'... I've finally decided to go for a lesson. Now, there is a caveat to that in the fact that it's strictly a short game lesson.

My swing, while it's not good, is at a point where I'm consistent enough to compete and have fun with the game. The last revision on 9/1 saw me reach single digits for the first time in my life. I don't really want to tinker with my swing while I'm heading into the final month of my tournament season. I've got a tournament Saturday... a 2 day major tournament next weekend... then a 3 day member guest at my buddy's club the weekend after that. After a short break, I'll be down in Hilton Head for a tournament at the end of October too.

After all that... I'll likely take lessons on the full swing, but... for now, I'd like to focus on my game around the greens. I'm really struggling with pitching, chipping and putting and it's costing me strokes.

So... my question is basically, what should I expect? Should I go into the lesson and give him my opinions right up front or will he assess and then provide feedback?

Any tips up front would be great.

Thanks!

A good instructor will ask you for your goals and aspirations. They will work with your existing swing to help you come away striking better then when you left.

I would avoid someone who has a "this is my plan" mentality and I would also avoid someone who is waiting on you to suggest corrections.

One of the best lessons you could get if you don't want to change your swing is having someone show you how to effectively practice. It's not just grabbing the ol 1 wood and cranking them down the range nonstop. This is what I'd suggest unless you're already proficient there. When I first got serious about golf that is honestly the best lesson I ever had. Reaching single digits is an accomplishment in and of itself so nicely done!

Expect the time to fly by so don't spend too much time just chit chatting between shots.

I had my first ever lesson yesterday and I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner. I've only been playing for a few years but I play almost every day from April to November and have gotten better mostly through trial and error and watching YouTube stuff.

My 45 minute lesson yesterday did more to help a couple issues I've been having than the past month of experimenting and researching did. It took literally 2 minutes for the pro to show me why I have been hitting my 4 hybrid so well but haven't been able to replicate the results with my 2 or 3. And also gave me a very minor grip adjustment to make when I want to hit a draw instead of the fade I've been playing. I had been trying to make pretty substantial swing changes to get back to hitting a draw and it was all unnecessary and hurting me more than helping.

I had heard mixed reviews about most of the teaching pros in my area which is why I had put this off for so long, but recently a few different good players I know all mentioned this guy in particular and I decided to give him a shot. I'm so glad I did!

The lesson went very well and I'm glad I did it. I'm excited to take lessons on my full swing this winter.

It started with him asking me what I was struggling most with. Because it was a short game lesson, I set up in a spot with a shot that I tend to struggle with while out on the course. Basically, a slope that feeds off the green to a pin with little green to work. I told him my tendency with those (either chunk it and have it come back down the slope or blade it). He had me set up and hit a few... then he made some adjustment to the ball position and gave me a key to focus on. I hit probably 10 shots like that with good results, and then he had me hit shots to some other pins on the practice green with different clubs and at varying heights.

Before the lesson ended, he gave me some things to practice and provided me a 'routine' to use whenever I practice.

The next day, I chipped in from about 50 feet. It was to save a double bogey, but... I chipped in.

Although I haven't had many opportunities since then to put it into practice, I'm more confident standing over the ball when I have to chip or pitch than I was prior to the lesson last Friday.

That's great.

Back