Golf and weight gain or loss

Miss Shanksalot

Newb trying to break 100!
Reaction score
Handicap
Alignment
So, I'm about 50-60 pounds overweight.

(I wish I could say that my excess weight was due entirely to my rheumatoid arthritis medications, but I can't: The food and drink in Chicago truly are something wondrous!)

I was already overweight when I took up golf / started taking lessons this past February. After the first time I got out on an actual course this past September, it seemed to me that my body and weight were really getting in the way of actually playing the game. (Not that that stopped me, of course.)

Anyway, now that our season is over, I'm trying to lose weight, not only because my rheumatologist ordered it (turns out excess weight is bad for your joints. Who woulda thunk it?) but also because I'm hopeful that it will help my golf game.

Has anyone experienced weight loss and / or gain and found that it affected your golf game in some way, either good or bad?

I'm just curious, if people wouldn't mind sharing.

Kim

I haven't lost a huge amount but I've gone from around 192 to 165 and find I hit it farther without the extra weight. I'm able to turn more and without the weight around my middle my back doesn't hurt as much after rounds. For that matter, it doesn't hurt as much in general! I still want to drop another ten, but you know, the McRibs came back out again, and I love my ice cream with chocolate syrup . . . haha

I could always make the same backswing as I do now, but I knew I would be paying for it afterwards. Now I can go back as far as I want and I'm no worse for wear.

I would say it most definitely affects my game. About 5 years ago I had reached a great weight and was working out at the gym religiously for over a year. I had strong core muscles and great flexibility. I would say that I have probably lost 30 yards off the tee since then because of weight gain and lack of exercise. I need to lose at least 20 lbs myself. I have started doing stretch exercises but I'm having a hard time getting motivated to lose the excess weight. :D

I would say that I have probably lost 30 yards off the tee because Im carrying a 200+ man on my back all the time.

FIFY KB

I dropped close to 30 lbs right up until the outing (since then im staying consistant) and it helped my endurance but I lost distance. Ill take that though. I plan on the next round (starting tomorrow) to focus not only on cardio but getting all my strength back from high reps and such. Building core.. etc lol. But yeah it helped in one aspect, hurt the other but nothing you can't get back with good weight. Or just a good strength training routine. I hope to lose another 30 or so by the outing maybe more.

I dropped 50 over 16 months through a reduction in calories, better diet (no soda, and booze) and working out (running, core, weights). The strength training and conditioning has helped. I used to be dead tired after playing 18 in the heat, now I can bounce back.

yes! I've loss around (pun intended) 40 #s . I found more energy, flexibility, endurance. I've also found it a big help in my golf game.

Yes I've recently lost almost 54 pounds Miss Shanksalot.

Knees and back feel so much better so walking on the course is fun now. More flexibility with my swing. Improved stamina so I can practice longer without paying for it like I would have before. So all around it's been very good.

I have faith you can do it too!

The story behind it is here. http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?14731-My-TBL

I don't know about weight but I used to be a Division I athlete (not golf) which involved working out 5+ days a week. After my career I stopped working out and certainly lost some power. It's all about the core.

Yes at least from my experience it does have an effect on your game. Before my whole journey started I my weight was at 208, I lost down to 163 but a lot was muscle tissue as well. My weight has been changing since the beginning of the year, all in a good direction and now weight in at 190. During all this changing of weight my swing has changed as well which has me going crazy trying to keep up with it. Over the last two months my weight has been between 185 & 193 and a natural rhythm is coming back.

What I would like to understand is why it is "so easy" for men to lose weight while women struggle? A few years ago I went from 240 to 205 in about 2 months doing the Atkins diet. My, wife who was just as steadfast on the diet, if not more so lost only a few pounds.

To answer the OP, since my loss from above, I have stayed in the 200-210 neighborhood, but I lost a full size in the waste since I started golfing all the time. I'm not sure if it has helped, or is because of golf. I do know for sure, when I was experimenting with yoga for a short period of time, it greatly helped my game. I don't know if yoga is something you can do with rheumatoid arthritis or not, but if you can... I'd say try it out.

I lost about 50 pounds a few years ago( only have put a few of them back on:)) and it really didn't affect much of my game if anything I hit a bit shorter now, could also mean I am getting older. The thing that really played with my swing was weight lifting. I got a little bit bulkier in the upper body and little less flexiable. I made a few adjustments and still occasionaly get it on the short stuff. I guess my thought on it is that its a slow enough process where you can make adjustments as needed during the weightloss. Besides it gives you a great excuse to hit the course a little more often.

Jerry

I lost about 50 pounds a few years ago( only have put a few of them back on:)) and it really didn't affect much of my game if anything I hit a bit shorter now, could also mean I am getting older. The thing that really played with my swing was weight lifting. I got a little bit bulkier in the upper body and little less flexiable. I made a few adjustments and still occasionaly get it on the short stuff. I guess my thought on it is that its a slow enough process where you can make adjustments as needed during the weightloss. Besides it gives you a great excuse to hit the course a little more often.

Jerry

Welcome to THP, Jerry. Head over to the check-in desk and introduce yourself!

Interesting responses! I guess at this point, I'm anticipating that I'll probably lose some strength. However, I'm also thinking that it will be easier for me to swing. So, maybe there won't be a net effect on my game at all, except insofar as it will be easier for me to haul my arse around the course.

And it is much easier for men to lose weight. Grrr. Honestly, it's very distressing when you're in it for the long haul.

Kim

And welcome to THP, Jerry!

I could stand to lose 10 - 15 lbs, but what will most noticeable for me wi be improved cardio and the endurance that comes with it. No more dragging my tail the last 3 - 4 holes.

Interesting responses! I guess at this point, I'm anticipating that I'll probably lose some strength. However, I'm also thinking that it will be easier for me to swing. So, maybe there won't be a net effect on my game at all, except insofar as it will be easier for me to haul my arse around the course.

And it is much easier for men to lose weight. Grrr. Honestly, it's very distressing when you're in it for the long haul.

Kim

And welcome to THP, Jerry!

You won't necessarily lose strength. It just depends on the route you decide to (or can) take in your weight loss quest. I you can take up yoga as a part of it, you will not only gain core strength, but your flexibility will increase tremendously. Both of which will improve your golf strength.

Back