JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
You are put in charge of the USGA (and every other governing body) for a single day. They say you can change 1 rule and 1 rule only, and it can be anything you want. Could be equipment, course, etc. What do you change and why?

Higher COR just to see what gets put in play.

Free drop from a divot in the fairway because I always seem to find them

Free drop from rocks or roots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reverse the groove rule.

Stroke and distance for OB. I'd like to see everything played as a lateral hazard. I'm sure there are at least a dozen reasons why this can't be done. 99% of golfers play it this way anyway.

Close second would be stroke and distance for lost balls in heather. Such a stupid rule, considering we don't have spotters as amateurs.

Practice swings must be made to the side of the ball and not over the ball ala Kevin Na from a few years ago. Freaked me out every time I saw him do it.

Close second would be stroke and distance for lost balls in heather. Such a stupid rule, considering we don't have spotters as amateurs.
This would be my #1

Stroke and distance for OB. I'd like to see everything played as a lateral hazard. I'm sure there are at least a dozen reasons why this can't be done. 99% of golfers play it this way anyway.

hard to argue with hello kitty!

I would change the penalty for lost ball not OB or in a hazard. Heather, desert, leaves, etc. get rid of distance, just play stoke and same as a lateral hazard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reverse groove rule,,,,,,,

This right here.

I am not sure I would change any for the PGA guys ... However, it would be really good if they recognize and acknowledge there is a very large recreational community and allow variances for that recreational golfers.

Allow a lost/O.B. ball to be treated similar to a red stake for recreational golfers ... i.e. keep moving forward (I think this is the most common rule that is ignored anyway)

This would probably be mine. I honestly don't get it. Why am I penalized because I don't have 100 people and camera crews watching my ball?

I don't think I really understand why I can't ground my club in a bunker either..

Balls played down in divots. Should be a lift clean and place (or drop). DONE DEAL!

that is certainly the most annoying one. Not sure I would choose that as my first though. Damn now I have to think.

This^^^^^^

that is certainly the most annoying one. Not sure I would choose that as my first though. Damn now I have to think.

You're right. It's always been at the forefront of the 'stupid rule' list for me, but I'd probably go with my second choice having thought for 10 minutes on it.

There are a few REALLY dumb golf rules.

I like this one.

Allow policing of spike marks on the green.

Divot in the middle of the fairway created by another golfer; should get relief; the person who played the previous shot was rewarded with a nice lie; golf is supposed to reward good shots, punish bad ones; the greatest golfer of all time is on record stating, "Jack Nicklaus says this is one of the most unfair rules in golf."

Divots.......

Nuff said.

JM

Back