Fix This Golf Company

I wonder how many people actually know what a SWOT analysis is?

Good point :) It's still fresh in my mind after wrapping up my MBA last year.

SWOT analysis looks at 4 main areas of a company:

Strengths
Weaknesses
Opportunities
Threats

It basically looks at internal forces that impact a company, as well as the external forces. It's a good high level overview that can then be used to drill down specific areas a company can work on.

And this is the most I've discussed a SWOT analysis since graduating. Money well spent!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Social media. Social media. Social media.

Why does Callaway kill it? Because theyre interactive with fans on twitter, Instagram, facebook and even in here. People want to feel appreciated. People want to feel good about making a purchase and if they feel like their support of a company is noticed they are going to keep buying with them. Lets face it, most of the equipment out there is so good its a mere difference of inches in the grand scheme of things. Anyone can grab just about any two clubs on the market and hit them within 10 yards of each other. When people are buying clubs theyre buying more than raw material. Theyre buying into a company as well.

Honestly Im surprised more companies havent tried to find the next HashtagChad or Harry Arnett. Cobra has two of the absolute best in club R&D working for them and are putting out awesome product, but no one knows what the hell is going on with the new technology because no one is out there interacting with the public to tell them. Right now their biggest (and IMO only) name on tour that moves the needle is being talked a ton about but not for his clubs but for his ugly ass shoes.

Look at the XR16 line for Callaway. They teamed up with Boeing for the design and technology in the club. Hell the Boeing logo is on Callaways website. But outside of anyone who has asked Yagley in person, does anyone know he used to be an aerospace engineer for Boeing before he got into golf R&D? Im willing to bet very few. To me, thats a lost opportunity to tell the public that "hey we have top of the line people working on top of the line technology for our clubs". Instead, Cobra is looked at as a company with a short release cycle and just wait a few months to buy the clubs you want because youll save hundreds. Not fair at all and doesnt make them any different than most companies out now, but it is what it is

1. Marketing- Either getting a "name" player or a few non-contracted players into the fold
2. Product overhaul- Get rid of any flashy colors, "Wal-Mart" look and make the product look professional
3. Make single iron test models available at an attractive price. Sooner or later the public need to buy the product in order to sustain the first two
4. Social media. I know that it's probable effective but I don't tweet, but to those that don't tweet, a VERY informative website. Nothing can loose interest more than a website that doesn't say too much.
5. Keep the name out there. Give freebees out (tees) with a catalog if they sign up on the website. Register for monthly products to be gives out, have a forum on the website, have fittings that can be changed within 60 days of trial period.

I wonder how many people actually know what a SWOT analysis is?

Good point.... for anybody wondering... SWOT stands for
Strengths-characteristics of the business or project that give it an advantage over others (i.e. one of a kind product)
Weaknesses-characteristics that place the business or project at a disadvantage relative to others (priced to high, inability to customize)
Opportunities-elements that the business or project could exploit to its advantage (do we have an unusually high market share in specific regions?)
Threats-elements in the environment that could cause trouble for the business or project (new products told to release at an event like PGA show, but now being done in time)

Market Market Market. Target a specific market with a specific message and dont deviate from that at all. Make sure the product sticks with the message you are marketing. As far as Demo days go while I want good active reps I question how many golfers you can actually touch at demo days and how many just walk by the tent or have no interest in making a special trip to the range. A VERY low percentage of golfers actually hit the range with any regularity however everyone watches TV and uses the internet so you target those spots with your marketing.

Things I would need to know before I could do anything is...
Our Quarterly P and L's for the last 5 years.
What percentage our COGS is in relation to total revenue
What percentage our payroll (plus advertising) is in relation to total revenue.

The reason I need these numbers is, I need to know how bad our losses are (assuming we have been operating in the red) and if our percentages for total Cogs and payroll are way out of whack we need to fix our ratio's before we worry about upping revenue

I would prioritize marketing and social media interaction, including a genuine attempt to draw that needle moving player closer to the fan base. Essentially, my goal would be to provide people with a reason to 'homer' the company beyond simply enjoying the clubs they demo or buy.

This includes a lot of demo programs, contests and giveaways, a recognizable series of faces (if that means from the R&D team or other) that interact through video and twitter, as well as people during tournaments and unique events the company puts on throughout the year.

Also, if I believe in my product, I am going to find a way to make consumer enjoyment more visible, whether it is incorporating their thoughts onto the company site, or driving interest through golf communities that offer insight and understanding of what the company and the clubs bring to the table.

For what it's worth, I think this fits Cobra well, and I would love to see them get more involved in these ways to improve their brand. They have amazing equipment at the ready.

Is hiring everyone from Callaway an option? If so, I'm doing that.
Honestly my first thought was "figure out how much Harry Arnett would want to come on board." The turn around at Callaway has been crazy, maybe it is amplified for us because of the great relationship with THP but the #'s seem to support a real turn around.

Last edited:
Instead, Cobra is looked at as a company with a short release cycle and just wait a few months to buy the clubs you want because youll save hundreds. Not fair at all and doesnt make them any different than most companies out now, but it is what it is
This exactly^

IMO, they also don't help themselves by setting their price lower than the competition initially. Right or wrong, I think people read too much into the price and subconsciously deem it an inferior product. I will never forget when a local artist came to our school to give a talk about perseverance and never giving up on your dream, etc. He had apparently been struggling and no one would buy his paintings even though he felt his work was just as good as others'. When someone asked him how he turned it around he said he decided to set his prices higher than his competitors. Same artwork, but now he charged more, and people responded, and he is now a nationally recognized painter. People are funny on their perceptions of quality in regards to price.

1. Push for a stronger retail presence. The product is as good as or better than anything on the market, the product lines are well-differentiated, and there is something for all levels of golfers. The marketing is what needs to step up--don't be a fitting bag in the back of the store, be a display stand in the front.

2. Quit futzing around with bold colors. Go more conservative, let the tech speak for itself. That includes backing off a bit from letting your needle-moving player plaster his school colors all over your product line.

3. Make the damn Space Port opaque.

This exactly^

IMO, they also don't help themselves by setting their price lower than the competition initially. Right or wrong, I think people read too much into the price and subconsciously deem it an inferior product. I will never forget when a local artist came to our school to give a talk about perseverance and never giving up on your dream, etc. He had apparently been struggling and no one would buy his paintings even though he felt his work was just as good as others'. When someone asked him how he turned it around he said he decided to set his prices higher than his competitors. Same artwork, but now he charged more, and people responded, and he is now a nationally recognized painter. People are funny on their perceptions of quality in regards to price.

Great points on price, I just had a convo last week at Golfsmith with a fitter who brought that up. He said he was surprised at the price point of the W/S C200s, figuring they'd be around the range of Cobras irons; he specifically said Cobra always came in lower to be a "value buy". Consumers may look at the lower prices and automatically equate them with lower value, performance, reliability, etc.

I was thinking Cleveland. They once dominated golf with VJ and wedge sales. Keegan Bradley still moves the needle plus he's won a major. I see nothing in terms of marketing although their equipment speaks for itself. I guess they're still relying somewhat on reputation.

-Take a step back and look at your sales. Why are you underperforming? Is it perception, bad products, lack of awareness, etc... Identify your weakness and correct them. Build on your strengths and maximize them. Don't reinvent the wheel.

-Hit Social Media hard, but in a tactical way. Just don't throw sh** against the wall and see what sticks. Actually figure out the plan to engage your golf demographic and build on that. Create contests and give out swag where it makes sense.

-Target women and juniors. This area IMO is an afterthought from a revenue perspective. Whether it's soft or hard goods, engaging this demographic can only lead to good things and build your base.

-figure out your Tour presence and evaluate if it makes sense. If you have to trim the fat then do it. Build on your golfers that maximize your explore and utilize them to build the brand. If this means more engagement at the actual tour stops then figure out how to maximize that marketing data.

-Align yourself with a Golf forum. I'm not saying you are the sole OEM for that forum, but find a forum that matches your vision. Much of what happens here on THP across all OEM's can only be a positive in terms of creating brand loyalty or opening up eyes to your brand they otherwise would have dismissed for whatever reasons.

Im going to preface this by saying that I am not saying that this is a specific company and its certainly not about their equipment or people there. Here are the facts.

Some of the top R&D people in the entire industry
One of very few players that actually moves the needle
R&D & Marketing people that are known entities, personable and great at content
An iconic name that once dominated golf
Fantastic and innovative golf equipment
Your sales are 1% of driver sales, slightly lower in irons and way less in wedges. We will take balls and putter out of the equation.

Okay so lets say you are made President this company and have 24 months to make sales happen. You are tasked with creating a multistep plan that will immediately take shape, but has a budget. Therefore, you cannot just say "sign a bunch of players" as contracts and money keep that limited.

So what do you do?

Well shoot, if people are taking shots at who this compnay maybe, it sound like Mizuno.

Given the R&D is strong already, it seems to make little sense to double down there. The best tech doesn't always win, in golf or elsewhere.

I would review the marketing strategy.

Who is the primary and secondary targets targets and why? For example, is the target millenials, because they are expected to begin playing more? Or is it trying to appeal to the current base of avid golfers?
How is that being executed? What steps were being taken to reach the targets?
What were the key assumptions and risks? Was the needle mover expected to win majors, be top 10, etc? What was the impact expected of the icon?
What was the expectation? What result would happen if the assumptions came true, and what impact was expected if they did not, and what was to be done if they didn't?

Then review each to see what actually happened in execution of the plan, and how that tied to what was thought would happen to sales. For example, it may be that not as many millenials entered the game as hoped, AND they didn't spend as much on the game as predicted. Or maybe that was OK, but the demograph that spends the most on gear was flat or dropped off unexpectedly.

Then you decide where you adjust, where you stay the course, where you invest more, and where you go in another direction.

When I read the description I have strong feelings about which company is being identified, and others have the same.

Well I suck at sales/marketing ... I am just a common tater ... but I would post the exact question, and hire a couple of the smart/talented folks here to help me reorganize and develop a business plan ...

Last edited:
Cookies on the bottom shelf, I'd place less emphasis on R&D and more on consumer face time. Get THPers and like minded folks in the mix, give your product a chance to leave the dusty shelf and hit the tee box.

There have been many great ideas. One focus I'd like to see in marketing is getting the clubs into the hands of golfers. That could be a test drive program like Bridgestone does. It would definitely mean getting more robust fitting carts with more head and shaft options into the retail stores. It would also mean having demo days at local courses so golfers could experience your product first hand.

I'd also combine this with a better social media campaign that gets golfers interacting with the equipment maker, and their staff interacting with golfers. I'm not saying this study is about Cobra, but I just checked the Cobra website and they do not have any demo days listed that I could find. I typed in the zip code of Carlsbad and the site came up with zero demo days scheduled. Shouldn't the home office have a demo day every business day of the year? And there are no product reviews on the site from joe public golfer. I checked the new irons, new drivers and could find no review comments at all.

Edit: I'm not on facebook so I'm relying on web pages to get my product information. Many companies do not do a good enough job in updating their websites. I've gone to look for demo days before at a major OEM and the published demo dates were almost two years old.

Last edited:
Here are the facts.

Some of the top R&D people in the entire industry
One of very few players that actually moves the needle
R&D & Marketing people that are known entities, personable and great at content
An iconic name that once dominated golf
Fantastic and innovative golf equipment
Your sales are 1% of driver sales, slightly lower in irons and way less in wedges. We will take balls and putter out of the equation.

Okay so lets say you are made President this company and have 24 months to make sales happen. You are tasked with creating a multistep plan that will immediately take shape, but has a budget. Therefore, you cannot just say "sign a bunch of players" as contracts and money keep that limited.

So what do you do?

Based on your statements, even though my marketing people are known, personable and great at content, they are doing something wrong. SWOT analysis has already been discussed, but my goal is to learn what market makes up the 1% of sales, consumer perception of my brand, and how I am currently marketing my product. I'd find out if my player that moves the needle is actually using my equipment and how old is the equipment being used. Then I would focus on 1 or 2 product areas to develop, since I don't believe the company will be able to market drivers, irons, and wedges all at the same time. Technology and social media need to become focal areas of the company to get the name out there and show how the are a technologically advanced company and on the leading edge.

Fix This Golf Company

Well I'm definitely in the minority. Even though JB this isn't any particular company, and more than one company fits the bill.

First Company to my mind was Titleist. Once you take out "the ball" I'd like to think Titleist would lose a huge share. Also every time Cobra, Wilson, Callaway makes a club it seems to be taking away from a Titleist that still has this aura around them, as being only for better players.

I know it's not Titleist as their wedges accounts for a large percentage of market. But I honestly think you can plug any name in here and you wouldn't be that suprised.

Social media. Social media. Social media.

Why does Callaway kill it? Because theyre interactive with fans on twitter, Instagram, facebook and even in here. People want to feel appreciated. People want to feel good about making a purchase and if they feel like their support of a company is noticed they are going to keep buying with them. Lets face it, most of the equipment out there is so good its a mere difference of inches in the grand scheme of things. Anyone can grab just about any two clubs on the market and hit them within 10 yards of each other. When people are buying clubs theyre buying more than raw material. Theyre buying into a company as well.

Honestly Im surprised more companies havent tried to find the next HashtagChad or Harry Arnett. Cobra has two of the absolute best in club R&D working for them and are putting out awesome product, but no one knows what the hell is going on with the new technology because no one is out there interacting with the public to tell them. Right now their biggest (and IMO only) name on tour that moves the needle is being talked a ton about but not for his clubs but for his ugly ass shoes.

Look at the XR16 line for Callaway. They teamed up with Boeing for the design and technology in the club. Hell the Boeing logo is on Callaways website. But outside of anyone who has asked Yagley in person, does anyone know he used to be an aerospace engineer for Boeing before he got into golf R&D? Im willing to bet very few. To me, thats a lost opportunity to tell the public that "hey we have top of the line people working on top of the line technology for our clubs". Instead, Cobra is looked at as a company with a short release cycle and just wait a few months to buy the clubs you want because youll save hundreds. Not fair at all and doesnt make them any different than most companies out now, but it is what it is

I'm also going to assume that the mystery company is Cobra and continue the Callaway comparison. One thing I think Callaway has done exceptionally well is to build a stable of Tour players and use them in their marketing. It's awfully hard (really, impossible) to say something like "4 of the top 20 players on the leaderboard right now have Fly Z drivers in the bag" when you only have two Tour staffers.

While it's great that Fowler is one of the few really big names out there, I think Cobra's results pretty strongly suggest that a single needle mover isn't nearly enough. For better or worse, I think the Tour drives sales for a lot of regular golfers. Personally, I'll admit that when I was younger (and before I found THP and became a lot more informed), the fact that TaylorMade could legitimately say that the R7, or R11 or whatever was the most-played driver on Tour was effective. It didn't necessarily mean that I'd buy the driver, but it sure meant that I was interested in it. So while I think Cobra certainly needs to use Fowler more and more effectively to pitch its clubs, if I were president, I'd also seriously look at spending money to increase the Tour staff. Just as importantly, I'd make sure that staff was used somehow in just about every aspect of marketing. I just don't think that your average golfer is going to be particularly excited about putting Cobra clubs in the bag when almost nobody on Tour does.

I'd tell them to relaunch an iconic brand of theirs from the past... My hunch is they did it this year (if this is a real company).. which is a great idea. I"ll think about this some more and see what i can come up with.

Follow the "old spice" model to a T with regards to rebranding...throw in the swagger of a t-mobile type ceo. YouTube, Instagram, Twitter...my product will be in ever single YouTube, website (THP), I want my clubs with influencers....the key is to find an enemy.

Its not Wilson.
But they do fit in the mold a bit.
Although I would argue they dont have a player that moves the needle, although they do have a nice young stable growing.
You mean Paddy Harrington doesn't move the needle ?

the key is to find an enemy.
It's already right there. Innovation trumping tradition. They just need to get Rickie to beat Jordan more often.

Back