What characteristics or things makes you love/hate a course?

Absolutely hate punitive "target golf" courses with little room for error. I don't mind trees, but if you hit into them at least be able to punch it out. Also can't stand gimmicky holes or postage stamp greens.

I'm sure a lot of good golfers will disagree with me but don't make it too hard for the average hacker or they'll never get more people to pick up the game and stay with it.

This is what I came here to post. Unfortunately, my home club was built on a preserve on Lake Houston and either side of most fairways is swamp. So if a ball goes in the woods it's gone 9 times out of 10. It's enough to make me want to look for membership elsewhere.

I love having options off the tee, flat tee boxes, and greens that aren't too hilly.

I hate having houses too close to the course.

There are a couple of holes on my home course that have my number. 1 is a 230 yard par 3 to a turtle back style green, that is near impossible to hold. The other is a par 4 that isn't too long, but it forces you to have a long approach 200+ no matter what unless you can carry 290 over the pond.

Love:
Fast and consistent greens
A course that makes me think about how I am going to play each hole
Fast pace of play
A 18th green that is capable to be surrounded by THPers

Dislike:
Uneven tee boxes
Courses that penalize you when you are in fairway
Bunkers with something other than sand
Inconsistent greens
Tee markers that point in a direction other than the fairway.

I do not like fairway bunkers, or fairways cut TOO short. I have a difficult time trying to finesse a wedge onto a green from a bare lie.

I can see MAYBE having one par 5 where driver isn't used but multiple is inexcusable. The people paying to play these courses aren't professionals. It should be somewhat fun to play.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Love when a course is secluded to where every hole feels like it's own course, when you can run the ball all over and of course true greens and soft bunkers.

I loathe long par 3s, make it a long iron but no reason to have 210 yds from the Blue tees. Also courses with poor drainage bugs me, I don't want to play soggy greens at 3 PM in the afternoon

I hate a tee shot that looks like it has to go through a chute just to get off the tee box. Give a man some room to start with, narrow it up closer to the green but trim the dang limbs.

That said the course I am a member of has this on a couple ofl holes. #3 points you to the left and it takes a good fade to make the turn and come back around. #6 is the same way, points way left but that side falls off into the creek. So both places you either need to cook a fade around the trees or take it high over the trees and pray.

Other than those 2, pretty fair course.

I love a course with a water element coming in to on the back nine and faster greens. For me it feels like the pressure is turned up and I will make more decisions when the round starts to close. Also I don't really care for the longer courses they seem to be more of a bomb and gauge style of golf that isn't fun for me. Other than that the rest can be what ever and I'll be happy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One dislike I forgot but was reminded of this morning - a course with a membership full of foot draggers. Especially when the whole lot of them appears to go off early.

Cost, proximity to home, and ability to play a quick round are about all that matter to me. Right now essentially all of my golf is played during the week as a single, so I can usually find a decent rate. I just have to be willing to play in the heat of the day.

I love holes that give you choices off of the tee. Not every par 4 has to be a driver, likewise, forced layups to ridiculous second shots are a joke. I like a good layout, in that uphill holes are shorter and downhill are longer. I don't mind slow greens, as long as every green is slow. Blind tee shots annoy me, blind approach shots really annoy me. If a course puts pins on the bottom of hills, that course may be dead to me.
Agreed! I love a course with a few par 4's where driver isn't the obvious choice. I played a course while I was away on vacation that needed driver off nearly every tee except par 3's (and the fairways were really tight) and it got a bit monotonous. I have a few home tracks where position and accuracy is rewarded over distance. I find them more entertaining because if my driver and I are in a fight that day, there are other clubs for the tee.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Back