Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 DD Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, I just love my 815 but that is a sweet looking club. I will try to hold out for a while :)

I hate this stuff. I am not hitting my driver well right now and they come out with a beauty like this! not only am I getting thinner but I can see my wallet getting thinner too....lol

Blah. It's a new quarter, so I guess its time for Callaway to release another driver....

And I thought Taylormade was bad about releasing a new "17 more yards" driver every other week.

Seriously though, this Driver is going to be pretty sweet in my bag when I pick it up a year from now for less than $200 new. Of course, Callaway will have released 4 different drivers between now and then.

Spent about 20 minutes on the range with this one today. I cant get into a lot of the tech details yet, about adjustments and such, but I think it will surprise some people that are viewing it as a driver with two gravity cores. As usual in the goal to beat real media to the punch, some places put up incorrect info.

This thing is really low spinning for me. I lofted it up and was hitting the ball pretty well, so hard to tell on forgiveness so far. More coming soon.

Like that it is reported to have matte black crown. Don't know if it is camera angle but looks like it is larger/more elongated (front to back) than the 815 DBD?

Spent about 20 minutes on the range with this one today. I cant get into a lot of the tech details yet, about adjustments and such, but I think it will surprise some people that are viewing it as a driver with two gravity cores. As usual in the goal to beat real media to the punch, some places put up incorrect info.

This thing is really low spinning for me. I lofted it up and was hitting the ball pretty well, so hard to tell on forgiveness so far. More coming soon.
Lofted up to what degree brother?

Basically it was explained to me the Core weight is moved to address a miss. High toe, the weight goes up in the toe. If your miss is low heel, you move the weight down into the heel section and the other weight/plug is moved into the other chamber. There was also a weight in the back center like the standard weights in the current drivers.

I'm not going to be smart enough to play golf if this keeps up.

Everyone that buys this can go ahead and send their old 815 heads to me :alien:

Save one for your new teammate!

Oh goodness... another club that I will be forced to look into lol

Forced is a little strong...

They will definitely be out at the range for people to demo.

And sneak home in their luggage? :act-up:

I hate this stuff. I am not hitting my driver well right now and they come out with a beauty like this! not only am I getting thinner but I can see my wallet getting thinner too....lol

It's tough. I'm hitting my BBA pretty well and I still ponder! Good on you for getting thinner!

Kinda sounds like this one will be fun to hit for those who get the early opportunity. Would you put it at DBD low spin? Or still too early to tell?

Kinda sounds like this one will be fun to hit for those who get the early opportunity. Would you put it at DBD low spin? Or still too early to tell?

Yes I would.

Wondering if this (or one of the other Bertha offerings) will go up to 12-13.5*?

That Is Hot

I'm hardly the target audience for a driver like this so I'll steer clear. I do like the adjustments they offer though and that's one area Callaway really seems to keep pushing.

Low spin drivers peak my interest. If these are available to test at #TheGuantlet I will be very intrigued to get my hands on one.

I like the matte look, can't wait to try it.

I just watched the video reviews that Rick Shiels did on YouTube. I'll be honest, I'm not blown away by the new GBB but I'm loving the looks of it compared to the previous Big Bertha with the sliding weight.

As for the 816 DD, I think they've got a winner with this thing (at least from the numbers that Rick Shiels put up). Sub-2000 spin consistently is pretty darn impressive. I know everyone will hit this thing differently but that kind of consistency is pretty solid. And, again, I'm loving the matte black with the grey-ish face. I think it frames the ball really well. This head with the right shaft pairing could be pretty awesome.
Unless I missed something, that number is probably not ideal for shiels at all.

Now, there is definitely a market for guys needing to dump spin at the willing cost of a bit of forgiveness (see: me) but it'd probably only get me into the mid or high 2s at best.

Sub for 2k is like... knuckle city for the majority.

Anyone have a more concrete idea of when this will be on sale to the public? Have heard rumblings about late August/September, but only because that matches Callaway's release schedule last year.

Anyone have a more concrete idea of when this will be on sale to the public? Have heard rumblings about late August/September, but only because that matches Callaway's release schedule last year.
I'd say September is a solid guess.

Got a fitting in Carlsbad scheduled for October 20th. And driver is the main reason I'm getting fit. Can't wait to hit this!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

It was kind of hard to tell since he was on GC2 and you couldn't see the real ball flight compared to the launch monitor results. The LM obviously showed a crap ton of roll after the ball landed but I'd suspect that you'd definitely see the knuckle ball effect at those spin rates. I guess the encouraging thing, as you mentioned, is that higher spin guys (myself included) could possibly see a solid reduction in spin numbers with this new head. One would hope from what I've seen thus far, at least.

Absolutely -- I know the high spin game well and frankly, it's been a plague for years.

What I think we see in the coming years is the understanding between spin reduction and forgiveness (however the gap seems to be closing well) and what it costs to get ideal numbers for the higher spin players who aren't always hitting the center of the face. SuperDeep was a nice early sample (amazing but terribly unforgiving) and many have said much the same for SLDR.

Whether Callaway can adequately close the gap is extremely exciting to consider.

Just watched the Rick Shiels video on this... Gravity core idea is pretty interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back