N.E. Wisc. New guy

Dave G

Reaction score
Handicap
28.2 USGA
Haven't golfed in ~30 yrs. I'm retired now and finally (my wife and I) have time. I pulled the old (Browning) GC's out and started back at it. I have a hitting net and a large enough field that I can practice all but putting at home. After practicing I'm still Horrible - slice, hook, top and shank, anything but straight, but enjoyed the time and courses. I bought 2 dozen cheep golf balls because I'd loose them so fast.
My wife took some lessons and at the end we got the sales pitch from the Golf pro for new clubs. OK, we'll give 'em a try.
I feel like I'm cheating!!! Since getting the new clubs I've not gone out of bounds once. My slice is gone and I never had a hook. I rarely top a ball. AND, I've not lost one ball (I guess the cheep balls will get added to my practice balls). Talk about fun... I'm loving it! I use to be ok with my 3 iron but that 4 & 5 hybrid is just plain cheating. I use to never use my 3 or 5 woods as I could NEVER keep it in bounds and rarely even get a hit. I actually now have confidence in my new 3 & 5 woods.
I've got to say, I use to think it's all marketing and very little innovation. BOY WAS I PROVED WRONG!
This is now my most enjoyable recreational activity.

Someone's going to ask what clubs and I'll tell you but first let me say it's not specific to this set. It's specific to getting rid of 30+year old clubs and taking advantage on modern design and materials.
I'm using Cobra XL 1,3 & 5 woods, 4 & 5 hybrids, 6-9 + P & S wedges and a 30+ yr old Titleist dead center putter with fat grips (that I love).

Welcome to THP Dave!

Welcome

Welcome to THP!!!

welcome sconnie

Welcome to THP!

I had a set of Browning 500's and my best friend had the 440's. Still has them in fact.

Last edited:
Welcome to THP.

Thanks blakehall, I subscribed to the N.E.W. thread. Not sure I'm up for Lawsonia quite yet but thanks. I'll look for something closer first so I can ease into this. Thanks!

Welcome to THP Dave!

Welcome to thp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to THP, Dave. Fact: a good putter never gets too old. Haha.

Welcome Dave!

Welcome to THP!

Welcome aboard Dave. Don't worry about your game for Lawsonia, this is THP and we will all have a good time.

Welcome to THP!!!

RE: Fact: a good putter never gets too old.
A lucky golfer gets to score his age... Each year that goes by I get to Bicycle mine. Hopefully I'll be able to say that about my Golf score one of these days.

Welcome to THP Dave!

Welcome to THP!

Welcome to THP.

Welcome to THP!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Welcome

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Welcome!

Back