I don't know. A 4 hour round is commonplace in my area. I don't see that as slow play at all. Talking to my local crew, they are amazed at ANY round that takes less than 4 hours. The USGA rules say it should take 30-45 seconds to take your shot and avoid slow play.

Your buddy is there to enjoy his round as well.

Pretty sure the pace of play of a 4 ball walking at the The Old Course is 3.5 hours. if they can we can. That includes stopping at the bridge to take a picture.

Some of the comments here ...you have to be kidding. I mean I understand slow pace problems. Which BTW do not have to relate to score. I can shoot an 84 and a 101 and still play at a good pace. But that aside, why is 4 hours a real problem? I mean perhaps if the specific course is short and open and one in which should be played in 3-1/2 (or whatever) and/or that is the recommended pace for that specific course then I can understand. But there is no reason otherwise to really complain imo on him for taking 4 hrs...

I get where you are coming from Rollin. But the way I read it he's not playing a 4 hour round. He's playing a 5 to 6 hour plus round and the other three guys are hustling like crazy to balance the pace of play. I didn't put much emphasis on the elapsed time, because the poster stated they usually finish multiple holes behind the group in front of them and he went to great lengths to describe all the time this guy takes for a single stroke.

After re-reading the OP. There is zero wrong with a 4 hour round. It a lots a little over 3 minutes per man to play the hole or as a group 13 minutes. This pace is acceptable on any course and is a full hour faster than than the average THP outing round :D. Not sure the OP needs to say anything to the guy, he is being rushed and you guys really need to cut him a break.

After re-reading the OP. There is zero wrong with a 4 hour round. It a lots a little over 3 minutes per man to play the hole or as a group 13 minutes. This pace is acceptable on any course and is a full hour faster than than the average THP outing round :D. Not sure the OP needs to say anything to the guy, he is being rushed and you guys really need to cut him a break.
If the groups ahead of you are pulling away, the groups behind you are pushing, and the guys you play with all think you are slow, it's probably a problem.

Pace of play can vary. When I play in a foursome it usually takes us 3 1/2 hours and in a twosome about 3 hours a round. I'm happiest when no one in front of me is holding us up while at the same time we're not holding those behind us up either. As long as your group isn't creating a pile up of players behind you I would prefer to just relax and enjoy the round. A friendship isn't worth destroying because of a little extra time needed to finish a round. You'll just have to ask yourself how much do you cherish the friendship with the slower golfer.

I was thinking the same thing. If the slowest guy is causing a 4hr round, then that's being picky imo.

If the pre shot routine bugs you, occupy the time doing other things like enjoying the course, atmosphere, look at your yardage book for the next shot, etc..

If the groups ahead of you are pulling away, the groups behind you are pushing, and the guys you play with all think you are slow, it's probably a problem.

You can't look at like that. If you play in a four pace you are ahead of time on the course. You have no idea if the group a head of begin is picking up or auto two putting each green. The 4 hour round is more than acceptable and would be welcome by every course.

I hate slow play as much as you, you know this. But for the sake of this thread, the guys need to come to a compromise, imo.

Pace of play can vary. When I play in a foursome it usually takes us 3 1/2 hours and in a twosome about 3 hours a round. I'm happiest when no one in front of me is holding us up while at the same time we're not holding those behind us up either. As long as your group isn't creating a pile up of players behind you I would prefer to just relax and enjoy the round. A friendship isn't worth destroying because of a little extra time needed to finish a round. You'll just have to ask yourself how much do you cherish the friendship with the slower golfer.

Your times are what I strive for as well. But I know most can't keep that pace so I'll settle for the 4 hour round. The guy we punished for his slow play, slowed us down to 4 1/2 to 4 3/4. That was not acceptable for any of us.

You can't look at like that. If you play in a four pace you are ahead of time on the course. You have no idea if the group a head of begin is picking up or auto two putting each green. The 4 hour round is more than acceptable and would be welcome by every course.

I hate slow play as much as you, you know this. But for the sake of this thread, the guys need to come to a compromise, imo.

I would also say you can't look at times only and the course as well. I agree with Wake here, if the group in front is pulling away and the group behind is pushing, the theme suggests the group is falling. The proper place is behind the group in front of you.
What if the course is 5750 yards and a par 65? Or a regulation course that is incredibly easy with no transit time between holes? Haha, but like you, 4 hours is solid on a weekend for popular courses.

I would also say you can't look at times only and the course as well. I agree with Wake here, if the group in front is pulling away and the group behind is pushing, the theme suggests the group is falling. The proper place is behind the group in front of you.
What if the course is 5750 yards and a par 65? Or a regulation course that is incredibly easy with no transit time between holes?

You have to look at course times, don't you? They have an acceptable range that they expect you to adhere to. Below that range would be considered ahead of pace. Below would be behind.

Without times to follow you're guessing and could adversely affect your customers for pushing when they weren't really behind. Not everyone plays in under 4 hours and I don't think that's wrong.

You have to look at course times, don't you? They have an acceptable range that they expect you to adhere to. Below that range would be considered ahead of pace. Below would be behind.

Without times to follow you're guessing and could adversely affect your customers for pushing when they weren't really behind. Not everyone plays in under 4 hours and I don't think that's wrong.

I think that is both correct and incorrect if that makes any sense. To give you an example, my club has a 4:15 hour time. However if you are the first group out in the morning, they expect faster than that. A lot faster. I think every course has a time range or limit, few get adhered to, because people dont care and are unaware of their surroundings, but I dont think a 11am Sat time at a course should be the same as the 6:56am thursday round if that makes sense.

I think that is both correct and incorrect if that makes any sense. To give you an example, my club has a 4:15 hour time. However if you are the first group out in the morning, they expect faster than that. A lot faster. I think every course has a time range or limit, few get adhered to, because people dont care and are unaware of their surroundings, but I dont think a 11am Sat time at a course should be the same as the 6:56am thursday round if that makes sense.

I completely agree, 1st off should always play under the pace.

I agree you can't look at it like that for just one round, you may just be sandwiched between fast groups, but it seems if that happens every time you play, you are probably slow for that course. 4 hours has become the standard, but we've all played easy courses where there really is no searching to do where 4 hours is a snail's pace.

I played with a guy who was super slow (basically had two sets of routines) and another kept hitting it 30 yards. Then the guy had the guts to tell me to pick up while I waited like 20 minutes for them to get to the green. That didn't end well.

Sent from my SM-G955N using Tapatalk

No real advice to give, but I understand the feeling. It's funny how time can be skewed. I played a 4 hour round that felt like 6. Constantly waiting for what felt like forever on an easy, short course. I also played a 4h 45m round at the same course that felt like it flew by. Good spacing, good groups in front and behind. The golf flowed that day. I was more than a little shocked to find out our elapsed time, thinking it had to be around 3 hours and change.

I can understand how watching that agonizingly slow pre shot routine would get old. If finishing sooner (3.5 hours?) means that much to you and the others, than ask him if he can speed up or cut down on his routine a little. More than likely though, he is never going to be as fast a player as the rest of the group. You may have to make a decision some day about what is most important.

Back